Focal Clear headphones
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #1,786 of 12,550
Yes but it's not a flagship phone, they need to compete with Focal and Sennheiser. If they can! :)

That is true. That said Beyerdynamic makes different, niche products. They are like the artist child of a family full of medical doctors (Focal and Sennheiser are the children who are MDs). They are different but not worse. I like that about Beyerdynamic.

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #1,787 of 12,550
That is true. That said Beyerdynamic makes different, niche products. They are like the artist child of a family full of medical doctors (Focal and Sennheiser are the children who are MDs). They are different but not worse. I like that about Beyerdynamic.

Considering Beyerdynamic invented dynamic drivers and have most possibly one of the most used professional headphones in the world (DT770) I am not sure that is really true lol...

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #1,788 of 12,550
Considering Beyerdynamic invented dynamic drivers and have most possibly one of the most used professional headphones in the world (DT770) I am not sure that is really true lol...

You are right, obviously. Beyerdynamic is more popular among professionals. Their mics are top class as well. I was talking in terms of our own little Head-Fi world. :) Which is actually really small compared to professional use of headphones and mics.

It takes an innovative company like Beyerdynamic to make the first truly audiophile wireless headphone. Sennheiser and others seem one step behind in terms of adopting new technology.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,789 of 12,550

I would not peg Focal as being in the same family as Sennheiser, it's a much smaller (but growing) shop and started providing gear to pro only before catering to the mainstream and audiophile later on. At the beginning headphones and IEMs were not even that big of a share of their revenue.

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #1,790 of 12,550
I've been intrigued by the Focal Clear and following this thread for a few weeks. Shopping around for my first full sized headphone (moving from IEMs). Trying out the Clears right now in the Gramophone store in Timonium, MD. Very impressed! I am tempted by a pair of Utopias sitting right next to the Clears, but I must resist! Nevertheless, the Clears are superb headphones based on my first listening session.

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,791 of 12,550
Probably tuned more neutral for studio work but I guess the Clear is neutral enough so no clue...

Not sure if that make sense, because which producer would buy $2000 headphones rather than $2000 studio monitors?

Too bad it is not a closed headphone. I hope the HD 820 does what I hope it does then I guess.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,792 of 12,550
I've been intrigued by the Focal Clear and following this thread for a few weeks. Shopping around for my first full sized headphone (moving from IEMs). Trying out the Clears right now in the Gramophone store in Timonium, MD. Very impressed! I am tempted by a pair of Utopias sitting right next to the Clears, but I must resist! Nevertheless, the Clears are superb headphones based on my first listening session.
Regardless the price, some people prefer the clear over the Utopia.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,793 of 12,550
Agreed. I've been here for a few hours (and I really have to go), but the music and the sonic quality of the Clear keeps me here (however, Gramophone closes at 5:00, so....) Really enjoyed listening the Clear with a wide variety of music (right now it is Keith Jarrett & Charlie Haden playing One Day I'll Fly Away). Loving it!

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,794 of 12,550
Are the Clears better than HD800S?

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #1,795 of 12,550
Tried my Clears on a different system ( Tidal Hifi --> Bifrost MB --> Yamaha CR2020 vintage receiver ) and let the volume go a little. Wow.

This experience makes me think my "dedicated system" around the Clears will be this vintage receiver + vinyl for analog and Tidal / Roon for digital. If I end up using the 2020 for a speaker setup, I'll either stick with the Lyr2 or maybe pick up something like a Woo Wa6.

Point is, while I'm curious about the Clears out of a megabucks amp, these things can absolutely sing out of what I already own. That's a nice feeling.

And, while this is difficult to compare, I think the Clears might sound even better than my Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers. I was not expecting that.

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,797 of 12,550
OK - I'll bite - why? - can you explain your 'Yes' and in what ways.
I'm an HD800S owner with a pretty decent dac/amp {plus using True-Fi which adds body} and am really interested in the Clear - especially for use with my AK300 DAP.

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,798 of 12,550

Look forward to reading your impressions! I’m waiting for the Utopia II, with the Be Drivers, tuned a bit my re like the Clear.

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,799 of 12,550

Many opinions would say yes, others would say no. The Clear has bass. The 800S has very little bass. The 800S has a little larger sound stage but the Clear does have a very nice sound stage just not as wide. Many would say, the 800S is too wide making it seem unnatural. Others love the heck out of that Sennheiser sound stage.

If you like normal bass over minimal bass the Clear likely wins the contest.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,800 of 12,550

It’s only one persons opinion, but after I had the Clear in house, my modified 800 with Draug 2 Cable became expendable, my LCD-3 probably will go as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back