Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Sep 20, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,351 of 1,719
This morning, I decided to pull out my Sennheiser BTD 600 and give it another try.
I have been very unhappy with it since purchase.
To get it to work without constant cut offs and break ups, I would have to turn off bluetooth on any device within the vicinity.

I'm not sure if it was the recent firmware but I have been listening to the new Who's Next set on Amazon Music in 24/96 and not a single skip or break up. I'm in heaven.
If anyone else was having issues I would say give it another try.

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #1,352 of 1,719
Good morning.

I tested the personalization mode and after a few tests the result is stunning. I tested for 2 hours and no longer needed equalization, the result is better with customization mode.

this headset gets better day by day with updates

gil

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,353 of 1,719
Please bear with me….this is long but need some help:

I listen in USB wired DAC mode with the Bathys. I am able to establish an initial DAC connection and playback appears normal. However, Qobuz drops the sound output whenever there is an interruption in signal (eg buffering, advancing to another track, or sometimes while navigating to another App such as messaging on the iPhone). It’s particularly bad when randomly playing artists or playlists. The Focal Bathy’s still show up as the device and the selected song is advancing but there is no sound output. Requires me to turn off the Bathy’s then back on in DAC mode to regain sound output.
It does not matter if I am on WiFi or a cellular connection.

I’ve thoroughly tested and this does not occur nor is it triggered with any other streaming app, music app or with on board content. The Bathy’s headphones work flawlessly on all other platforms - I cannot make it happen no matter what.

Here is where it gets perplexing:

This only seems to occur when streaming via Qobuz at higher resolutions, typically at 192/24. If I reduce the resolution, to say mp3 quality, Qobuz functions normally and this does not seem to occur. At higher resolutions the sound output will drop out with Qobuz still recognizing the Focal Bathy’s and advancing the song - just no sound until I switch out of DAC mode and re-engage on the Focal Bathys.

Another key point is that when this happens (only occurs when using Qobuz), sound output is affected in the same manner on all other streaming or music apps until I switch the Focal Bathy’s off/on. ONLY the use of Qobuz at higher resolution triggers this.

Another fact: I’ve had the Bathys since almost day 1 and this seems to be a recent development.

And finally, this occurs on both the iPhone (iOS 16.6.1) and Windows (11) operating systems.

This makes hi resolution listening with Qobuz nearly impossible with the Bathys.

Anyone have, or can recreate this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #1,354 of 1,719

I listen in USB wired DAC mode with the Bathys. I am able to establish an initial DAC connection and playback appears normal. However, Qobuz drops the sound output whenever there is an interruption in signal (eg buffering, advancing to another track, or sometimes while navigating to another App such as messaging on the iPhone). It’s particularly bad when randomly playing artists or playlists. The Focal Bathy’s still show up as the device and the selected song is advancing but there is no sound output. Requires me to turn off the Bathy’s then back on in DAC mode to regain sound output.

I’ve thoroughly tested and this does not occur nor is it triggered with any other streaming app, music app or with on board content. The Bathy’s headphones work flawlessly on all other platforms - I cannot make it happen no matter what.

This only seems to occur when streaming via Qobuz at higher resolutions, typically at 192/24. If I reduce the resolution, to say mp3 quality, Qobuz functions normally and this does not seem to occur. At higher resolutions the sound output will drop out with Qobuz still recognizing the Focal Bathy’s and advancing the song - just no sound until I switch out of DAC mode and re-engage on the Focal Bathys.

Another key point is that when this happens (only occurs when using Qobuz), sound output is affected in the same manner on all other streaming or music apps until I switch the Focal Bathy’s off/on. ONLY the use of Qobuz at higher resolution triggers this.

Another fact: I’ve had the Bathys since almost day 1 and this seems to be a recent development.

And finally, this occurs on both the iPhone (iOS 16.6.1) and Windows (11) operating systems.

This makes hi resolution listening with Qobuz nearly impossible with the Bathys.

Thanks,

Rich
Restart the Qobuz app and it should work without having to restart the Bathys. Seems to be an issue with the Qobuz app and sample rate changes on ios which happens to BT dongles as well. I never use qobuz on windows as I have a roon setup at home so don't know if it applies to their windows app as well.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,355 of 1,719
Restart the Qobuz app and it should work without having to restart the Bathys. Seems to be an issue with the Qobuz app and sample rate changes on ios which happens to BT dongles as well. I never use qobuz on windows as I have a roon setup at home so don't know if it applies to their windows app as well.
Good suggestion and thanks. Unfortunately I tried this without success. The only thing that seems to get sound output back is switching the Bathy's out of DAC mode and back again. Happens on both IOS and Windows for me...I’m at a loss.

Rich

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #1,356 of 1,719

Thanks,

Rich
I also listen to USB-C with Qobuz and no problems at all with Hi-Res. Have you tried another mobile phone? A different USB-C cable? What about streaming in CD-quality? Maybe reinstall your Qobuz app. Restart your mobile device.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #1,357 of 1,719
I also listen to USB-C with Qobuz and no problems at all with Hi-Res. Have you tried another mobile phone? A different USB-C cable? What about streaming in CD-quality? Maybe reinstall your Qobuz app. Restart your mobile device.
Good suggestion on another mobile device....same result and behavior on my iPad (I only have iOS devices). Seems that a change in resolution (e.g. from 192/24 to CD quality is a trigger). Restarting Qobuz or the mobile device does not resolve. Once it happens, only switching the Bathys out and back into DAC mode again gets the sound output back - until the resolution changes or I forward tracks.

Obviously some interaction between Qobuz and the Bathys, maybe only with iOS devices???

Rich

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,358 of 1,719
She's arrived - never had one before so will set up shortly...
IMG_2701.jpeg

Sep 24, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #1,364 of 1,719
Just got the iPhone 15 Pro. Plug and play with DAC mode is perfect. I’m so happy.

Looking forward to this myself, as the positioning of my MBP on my desk makes the cable route a little annoying (near my mouse).

Straight out of the phone to the side will be perfect.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,365 of 1,719
I can confirm that the new USB-C port on the new iPhone 15 and 15 Pro made things a little bit more convenient to listening to USB-C audio via my desktop DAC and my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back