Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,382 of 1,722
If I want to connect the Bathys with my Hiby RS6 by cable, I have to use the 3,5mm cable. USB-C not working either.
USB-C out from RS6 to Bathys works for me.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #1,383 of 1,722
I really want to get the Bathys, but I'm worried about the comfort. Will try to test it out before buying, as I've seen mixed opinions on the comfort of this headphone on this thread.
The Bathys comfort is very much a headshape dependent thing. The headband's padding is a bit to narrow for me and I dislike the ear pad material as it feels kind of sticky. I have no issues with Focal Radiance, Denon AH-D7200, B&W p9 etc. when it comes to the material on the earpads, only the Bathys.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,384 of 1,722
Anyone have success using the Bathys in wired USB mode with an android digital audio player (e.g. Fiio M11 or iBasso dx320)?

I’ve read you can utilize USB Audio Player Pro to control volume (obviously not bit perfect unless at max volume) but not sure it (or other means) would work with a digital audio player with the Bathy’s in wired DAC mode.

Thanks,

Rich

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,387 of 1,722
Does the fact that the Bathys requires power regardless of wired or wireless mode mean that its DAC is always working? Couldn’t it have been designed in such a manner that only its internal amplifier can be activated when there’s a 3.5mm plugged in?

Or has it been proven beyond a doubt that there’s an ADC and it’s always active?

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #1,388 of 1,722
The DAC is only working in DAC mode; I assume it may be on in bluetooth and USB. Somehow the headphone cannot be driven without the headphones for any mode. Probably how the drivers are hooked up. Seems like an oversight in that regard.

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,389 of 1,722
"were you using USB Audio Player Pro on your Astell SR25 " - No idea that was a thing I could install I will try later...plus I thought my oTG adaptor for my iPhone 13 was working a new days ago but today says accessory not working as uses too much power - so i presume I need something like this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BY2S8W1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also presume if i had an iPhone 15 just connecting it direct via USB C would be fine power wise ?

As iMore were talking about the Pro not the 15

"Now, with the iPhone 15 Pros USB-C port and the MiMi update, all you need is a single USB-C cable to plug one into the other for the ultimate on-the-go music experience."

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,390 of 1,722
Does the fact that the Bathys requires power regardless of wired or wireless mode mean that its DAC is always working? Couldn’t it have been designed in such a manner that only its internal amplifier can be activated when there’s a 3.5mm plugged in?

Or has it been proven beyond a doubt that there’s an ADC and it’s always active?
My guess is that it relies heavily on DSP rather being tuned passively first and then adding active mode. Most ANC headphones are made like this and have terrible frequency response in passive mode, but there are a few exceptions.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #1,391 of 1,722
"were you using USB Audio Player Pro on your Astell SR25 " - No idea that was a thing I could install I will try later...plus I thought my oTG adaptor for my iPhone 13 was working a new days ago but today says accessory not working as uses too much power - so i presume I need something like this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BY2S8W1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also presume if i had an iPhone 15 just connecting it direct via USB C would be fine power wise ?

As iMore were talking about the Pro not the 15

"Now, with the iPhone 15 Pros USB-C port and the MiMi update, all you need is a single USB-C cable to plug one into the other for the ultimate on-the-go music experience."
Yes,if you are not using the latest iPhone you will need a camera adapter. I use the Apple adapter but that’s a good price on one if it works. Cant wait for my next iPhone upgrade, getting rid of that dongle with the Bathys will be blessing. With EQ and Mimi (not a gimmick) the Bathys are really starting to sound good.

Let me know if USB Audio Player Pro on your Astell works to control volume with the Bathys in wired DAC Mode.

Thanks,

Rich

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #1,394 of 1,722
Well done that worked a treat ! Hi Res lossless Vangelis thru apple music is amazing,,,,

When I do that does the phone charge the Bathys ? Or is just a pure data connection ?
When in DAC mode it’s just transferring the digital signal from the source to the Bathy’s (not charging).

And you’re correct, hi-resolution in wired DAC mode sounds great and results in the best sound quality on these phones in my opinion. Even better with careful EQ and the new Mimi personalization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back