Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 6, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #586 of 1,723
The Product Manager for Bathys described to low end as greater then all other Focal Products, including Radiance.

I own Clear MG and did have Radiance for a few weeks last year.

To me the Bathys fall short of quality sub base in comparison specifically to Clear MG/Radiance, but that’s not surprising. However also in quantity especially compared to Radiance. Both Clear MG and Radiance go deeper in sub-base and slam harder.

Anyone else seen this video and view on low end comments.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #587 of 1,723
Thank you. Could you elaborate on one point for low end.
Does the Bathys have less quantity of Sub Base/Low End? What if you Eq them up 3db for low end compared to PX8.
The Bathys has a bit more sub bass with very slow roll off until somwhere between 24-27hz, then a bit sharper roll off. The PX8 starts it's slow rolloff somewhere between 30-35hz. Both have good output at 18hz, but bathys probably has 4+ db more at 18hz. The PX8 also has slightly boosted bass above the bathys so this might also give the impression of even less sub-bass.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #588 of 1,723
Ok - then which one had less bone conduction when walking

I haven't tried walking in Bathys unfortunately as i've had only an hour with them in the shop but footsteps sound on PX8 is the reason i'm sending them back. It's horrendous and the worst I've ever heard. I think it has something to do with the seal being too strong. It's a bit sad really cause i quickly fell in love with their thick and full presentation, but I really don't need mobile headphones that I can't use while mobile.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #589 of 1,723
haven't tried walking in Bathys unfortunately as i've had only an hour with them in the shop but footsteps sound on PX8 is the reason i'm sending them back. It's horrendous and the worst I've ever heard. I think it has something to do with the seal being too strong. It's a bit sad really cause i quickly fell in love with their thick and full presentation, but I really don't need mobile headphones that I can't use while mobile.
Weird. I dont have this issue at all, sounds very similar to e g my Sony WH-1000XM3.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #591 of 1,723
DMS' review of the Bathys is up

He seems to like them more than Radiance from what I can gather.

Makes me really curious if anyone here has Focal wired closed backs and can weigh in? I don't have anything but Stellia here now, I used to have Celestee/Elegia. I know memory for audio is pretty poor, at least for me, although I do feel as though Celestee was technically better than Bathys by a notch. This would make sense, given the additional size of the cups, no need to squeeze internal electronics in the housings which gives more freedom in terms of geometry and design. And of course Focal's pyramidal pattern on the inside of the cups which breaks up reflected waves.

So in theory I would've thought something like a Radiance or Celestee would be a notch above Bathys. But DMS seems to prefer Bathys, I wonder if he compared them directly? Can anyone enlighten us with their own comparison? Bathys do indeed perform really well so I imagine it's possible.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #592 of 1,723

Makes me really curious if anyone here has Focal wired closed backs and can weigh in? I don't have anything but Stellia here now, I used to have Celestee/Elegia. I know memory for audio is pretty poor, at least for me, although I do feel as though Celestee was technically better than Bathys by a notch. This would make sense, given the additional size of the cups, no need to squeeze internal electronics in the housings which gives more freedom in terms of geometry and design. And of course Focal's pyramidal pattern on the inside of the cups which breaks up reflected waves.

So in theory I would've thought something like a Radiance or Celestee would be a notch above Bathys. But DMS seems to prefer Bathys, I wonder if he compared them directly? Can anyone enlighten us with their own comparison? Bathys do indeed perform really well so I imagine it's possible.

I own the Bathys, Elear, Clear MG and Radiance. The short answer is no the Bathys do not sound better than the other three Focal headphones but it's really an unfair comparison. The Bathys are wireless, portable headphones that do NOT require a separate amp while the other three are desktop, not particularly portable headphones which all require a separate amp. If you already own a headphone amp, either desktop or portable, then perhaps your money should go to one of the full sized Focal headphones but if you need portable headphones with noise cancellation and great audio quality then give the Bathys a careful listen.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #594 of 1,723

He seems to like them more than Radiance from what I can gather.

He didn't compare to Radiance in depth. He is mostly focus on portability, features and convenience that Bathys brings and sound similar tuning to Radiance. Of course sound wise alone definitely Radiance wins a lot. Come on Radiance almost half more expensive than Bathys.

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #595 of 1,723
I was just wondering if any other headphone has had so many written and video reviews within one month of its release as the Bathys :)

Focal has gone all in on marketing sending samples to everyone and all, I can see why, Wireless cans hasn't really been geared towards sound connoisseurs so far so there is a gap to fill. Somehow it feels like they're a bit overhyped though.

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #597 of 1,723
Bang&Olufsen first comes to my mind here…
I feel as thought most of the high price of the B&O H95 ($900 USD) went to sound quality (they're good) and build quality (my favorite out of all the high-end BT headphones). The rest is just B&O tax.

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #598 of 1,723
So are these better than the Apple AirPods Max? Especially in terms of comfort? (which is my biggest annoyance with the Apple AirPods Max).

And do the ears touch the inside of the cups? You’d be surprised how Sony and Sennheiser mess up something as simple as this (reviewers / paid shills always seem to ignore this huge design flaw).

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #599 of 1,723
So are these better than the Apple AirPods Max? Especially in terms of comfort? (which is my biggest annoyance with the Apple AirPods Max).

And do the ears touch the inside of the cups? You’d be surprised how Sony and Sennheiser mess up something as simple as this (reviewers / paid shills always seem to ignore this huge design flaw).
If you ask me:
- better than APM on sound (by large margin)
- not as good ANC or integration into apple universe, of course
- similar comfort (depending on your head of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back