Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 7, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #616 of 1,723
Ok - then which one had less bone conduction when walking 😅
For anyone else wondering this, I got a pair of Bathys today and they have very little thudding when walking / bone conduction / whatever you call it. Pretty happy with them so far.

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #617 of 1,723
As I said in an earlier post on this thread, I don't think that a direct comparison of the portable, Bluetooth, ANC Focal Bathys with non-portable, full size Focal headphones is very fair. Two completely different types of headphones, with very different uses and very different design parameters.
Bathys uses same drivers as Celestee, Radiance, and Clear. And I see many people take Celestee as portable headphones. So I consider it would be a fair comparison. Especially Bathys vs Celestee, which is only less than 200 dollars difference. If features and technology (BT, ANC, DAC) is your key, go for Bathys, otherwise, Celestee pretty much wins everything in terms of soundstage, resolution, materials, and others in portable headphones even connect to a phone straight without an AMP/DAC.

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #618 of 1,723
Have anyone problems to connect the Bathys in aptX HD? I have tried with my A&K SE200 and Fiio M11 plus and didn't work. It supposed to work because aptX adaptive is backward compatible with aptxHD (https://www.aptx.com/aptx-adaptive at the end of the page)
I was able to do so for about 2 weeks with my Sony walkman, then it stopped working. They chose not to license aptX-HD because they felt adaptive was better was the response from Focal.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #619 of 1,723
As I said in an earlier post on this thread, I don't think that a direct comparison of the portable, Bluetooth, ANC Focal Bathys with non-portable, full size Focal headphones is very fair. Two completely different types of headphones, with very different uses and very different design parameters. Nonetheless I decided to do a brief comparison to see if my feelings are correct.

I compared the closed back Focal Bathys, used in wired mode, the closed back Focal Radiance, used with balanced cables and the open back Focal Clear MG, also used with balanced cables. All three headphones were powered by an Oppo HA-1 desktop DAC/amp, which was playing music streamed via Roon to an Ethernet connected microRendu. In the case of both the Radiance and the Clear MG convolution filters were also used. The Bathys were used without convolution filters.

So what did I hear? Well can I state without reservation that the full size Focal headphones do indeed sound quite a bit "better" than the portable Bathys. Both full size Focals feature a somewhat fuller sound with deeper and richer bass and a larger, more expansive soundstage. Which is exactly what one would expect from a full size headphone when compared to a portable headphone, even a "high end" portable headphone.

Now to be fair to the Bathys, the price of the Bathys is $800 and they do NOT require a separate headphone amp. The Clear MG have a list price of $1500 and the Radiance have a list price of $1300 and they both require a separate headphone amp, which for the Oppo HA-1 had a list price of $1200 (and it was quite a bargain at that price). So $800 (complete) versus $2000 or more. Yes sometimes you do actually get what you pay for.

With all that being said, if you are in the market for a great sounding portable headphone that can also be used as one's primary headphone without giving up too much in the way of sound quality to full size headphones, then the Bathys are a great choice.
The area i live in the Bathys are not portable. They will be stolen 10minutes from leaving home. Ofcourse are transportable.

I purchased these for home Bluetooth connection for watching Movies.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #620 of 1,723
As I said in an earlier post on this thread, I don't think that a direct comparison of the portable, Bluetooth, ANC Focal Bathys with non-portable, full size Focal headphones is very fair. Two completely different types of headphones, with very different uses and very different design parameters. Nonetheless I decided to do a brief comparison to see if my feelings are correct.

I compared the closed back Focal Bathys, used in wired mode, the closed back Focal Radiance, used with balanced cables and the open back Focal Clear MG, also used with balanced cables. All three headphones were powered by an Oppo HA-1 desktop DAC/amp, which was playing music streamed via Roon to an Ethernet connected microRendu. In the case of both the Radiance and the Clear MG convolution filters were also used. The Bathys were used without convolution filters.

So what did I hear? Well can I state without reservation that the full size Focal headphones do indeed sound quite a bit "better" than the portable Bathys. Both full size Focals feature a somewhat fuller sound with deeper and richer bass and a larger, more expansive soundstage. Which is exactly what one would expect from a full size headphone when compared to a portable headphone, even a "high end" portable headphone.

Now to be fair to the Bathys, the price of the Bathys is $800 and they do NOT require a separate headphone amp. The Clear MG have a list price of $1500 and the Radiance have a list price of $1300 and they both require a separate headphone amp, which for the Oppo HA-1 had a list price of $1200 (and it was quite a bargain at that price). So $800 (complete) versus $2000 or more. Yes sometimes you do actually get what you pay for.

With all that being said, if you are in the market for a great sounding portable headphone that can also be used as one's primary headphone without giving up too much in the way of sound quality to full size headphones, then the Bathys are a great choice.
I am hoping for a future full size Focal version, bluetooth using AptX True wireless

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #622 of 1,723
I'm very happy with the Bathys performance, specially with classic piano pieces and orchestral once. Something really interesting, I don't know if anyone has experienced it, is that the Bathys has a little of crossover between L/R channels, simulating a "speaker experience".
I have the H95, momentum3, PX7. I used a lot the H95, but the Bathys really nails it in sound quality.

I would like to add that the rich low-end that the Bathys has it's prefect for well-recorded pipe organ pieces, the 16' and 32' pipes sounds really deep :D

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #623 of 1,723
I got a pair of Focal Bathys for my Son’s Birthday yesterday, but the clamp force is too much for him.
He actually tried my Pair last week and said they were a comfortable fit, but obviously teenagers don’t have a good attention span these days.

Cannot return these to Store as they only do store credit.

So just put on eBay for £499 for UK shipping only.
Never even been used. Just opened and tried on for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #625 of 1,723
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #626 of 1,723
As I said in an earlier post on this thread, I don't think that a direct comparison of the portable, Bluetooth, ANC Focal Bathys with non-portable, full size Focal headphones is very fair. Two completely different types of headphones, with very different uses and very different design parameters.
Bathys uses same drivers as Celestee, Radiance, and Clear. And I see many people take Celestee as portable headphones. So I consider it would be a fair comparison. ...
I have to disagree with comparing the Bathys to other Focal headphones. And it is because of what you're saying. The Bathys is a self-contained unit. The other Focal headphones, you need to bring more equipment, which a bare minimum is a wire. Many portable DAC/amps. It's not a true apple-to-apple comparison.

The issue is that that are too many variables that cannot be controlled/removed. It's possible to use the same DAC or amp, but it has to be through a 3.5mm unbalanced output. The minor problem here, you can't use the same cable; so at best you can only use cables of similar build and type. If you use the USB C DAC mode, you're comparing the differing DACs and speakers. If you have used the Bathys with an external DAC or amp, it can have a different experience because "coloring" of the DAC or volume difference because of power. If you could get the variables the same where you're only comparing the speakers, it would not be unreasonable to have a very similar sound.

That said, it's not unreasonable to discuss the sound tonal differences and use the other headphones are reference points. This allows the reader to understand the differences or similarities being discussed. In this kind of setting, most comparisons are about which is better, which in this case is not really reasonable. It's about the problem to be resolved. Understand what the Bathys are trying are to fill. It's a very portable, travel-friendly, and self-contained headphone with significantly better "sound" for people who learn or are audiophiles, of which there are very few. Sony, Bose, Apple, Beats, etc do not get close to the mark.

In fact, I think it is great that despite the main purpose, they made the headphones more robust by including USB C DAC and the 3.5mm port. I cannot think of headphone that includes a DAC you can use via USB cable. There are not many that include 3.5mm port; although not the biggest fan of having to turn on the headphones in this mode, but it's obvious to make use the ANC. They should have included a truly passive mode even though the ANC would not be accessible.

The bottom line, is one really going to use the Bathys to replace Celeste, Radiance... it's possible. Stellia, I would assume highly unlikely. Clear or Clear MG, is another possibility, but it the "sound" would not be the primary reason. More reasonably, I think Bathys is complementary headphones to use on the go or traveling or when moving about the house, and don't want to worry a cable being caught on something such as during house cleaning. Anatoly, and weak evidence to this point, I use myself. I bought this specifically for travel and doing things around the house. I have TWS IEMs that work fine, but I wanted something out of my ear around the house. I have a portable DAC/amp I can use, but I did not to worry about the cable getting caught on a cabinet handle or something and the headphones flying off. The additional to use traveling is a nice bonus for me. Like someone mentioned earlier, I too live in an area, and wearing these outside the home is asking to be attacked. I would not use these in the gym; I think TWS EIMs are more appropriate because of the sweat or work equipment potentially hitting them.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #628 of 1,723
I have to disagree with comparing the Bathys to other Focal headphones. And it is because of what you're saying. The Bathys is a self-contained unit. The other Focal headphones, you need to bring more equipment, which a bare minimum is a wire. Many portable DAC/amps. It's not a true apple-to-apple comparison.

The issue is that that are too many variables that cannot be controlled/removed. It's possible to use the same DAC or amp, but it has to be through a 3.5mm unbalanced output. The minor problem here, you can't use the same cable; so at best you can only use cables of similar build and type. If you use the USB C DAC mode, you're comparing the differing DACs and speakers. If you have used the Bathys with an external DAC or amp, it can have a different experience because "coloring" of the DAC or volume difference because of power. If you could get the variables the same where you're only comparing the speakers, it would not be unreasonable to have a very similar sound.

That said, it's not unreasonable to discuss the sound tonal differences and use the other headphones are reference points. This allows the reader to understand the differences or similarities being discussed. In this kind of setting, most comparisons are about which is better, which in this case is not really reasonable. It's about the problem to be resolved. Understand what the Bathys are trying are to fill. It's a very portable, travel-friendly, and self-contained headphone with significantly better "sound" for people who learn or are audiophiles, of which there are very few. Sony, Bose, Apple, Beats, etc do not get close to the mark.

In fact, I think it is great that despite the main purpose, they made the headphones more robust by including USB C DAC and the 3.5mm port. I cannot think of headphone that includes a DAC you can use via USB cable. There are not many that include 3.5mm port; although not the biggest fan of having to turn on the headphones in this mode, but it's obvious to make use the ANC. They should have included a truly passive mode even though the ANC would not be accessible.

The bottom line, is one really going to use the Bathys to replace Celeste, Radiance... it's possible. Stellia, I would assume highly unlikely. Clear or Clear MG, is another possibility, but it the "sound" would not be the primary reason. More reasonably, I think Bathys is complementary headphones to use on the go or traveling or when moving about the house, and don't want to worry a cable being caught on something such as during house cleaning. Anatoly, and weak evidence to this point, I use myself. I bought this specifically for travel and doing things around the house. I have TWS IEMs that work fine, but I wanted something out of my ear around the house. I have a portable DAC/amp I can use, but I did not to worry about the cable getting caught on a cabinet handle or something and the headphones flying off. The additional to use traveling is a nice bonus for me. Like someone mentioned earlier, I too live in an area, and wearing these outside the home is asking to be attacked. I would not use these in the gym; I think TWS EIMs are more appropriate because of the sweat or work equipment potentially hitting them.
All very good points and I completely agree. It should also be noted that the Focal Bathys are closed back headphones and the Focal Clear and Clear MG are both open back headphones, so that difference needs to be taken into account when making any comparisons.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #629 of 1,723

Yes. You made the point. I totally agree. Bathys is only for people who loves WIRELESS with a taste of HIFI headphones. "Sound" is NOT a PRIMARY factor. Therefore, it is NOT in my collection. For me, Bathys will never replace Celestee, and I like Celestee a lot. In fact, I highly doubt If focal put BT, ANC, DAC functions in Celestee chassis, it will never sound as good as Celestee now. But if Bathys are regular wired headphones without tech and batteries, it will probably sound a lot better due to lacking proper acoustic design spaces to accommodate technology circuits and batteries.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #630 of 1,723
All very good points and I completely agree. It should also be noted that the Focal Bathys are closed back headphones and the Focal Clear and Clear MG are both open back headphones, so that difference needs to be taken into account when making any comparisons.
I am comparing to Celestee, which is the closest focal wired headphones with same drivers, similar price range, both closed back and can be used as portable headphones. And Celestee almost blow Bathys in sound quality alone. Clear is open back and has a even higher price range. Definitely sounds a lot better and not a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back