Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 5, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #572 of 1,723
In terms of Comfort I would say the Bathys is the most uncomfortable BLUETOOTH headphone I have tried due to the hard headband. There is only a small area of cushioning in the center of the headband and the rest is solid. So depending on shape of head you are potentially in contact with the hard areas. Same issue as my previous Sony MDRZ1R.

I have been looking for a solution like third party headband cover and found nothing.
Any ideas?

I could get Dekoni nuggets, but that would be permanent due to them glueing to the headband and so cannot sell in future.

Any suggestions please?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #573 of 1,723
Focal has not confirmed the DAC is BurrBrown.

Bathys is manufactured in China and I have some indication it could be a Shenzenaudio supplied DAC. Although Shenzenaudio is a Disti/eTailer they might have created a DAC for it in partnership with a DAC maker.

Perhaps it is a Shenzenaudio Board with actual BurrBrown DAC chipset.

Anyway it shows “Shenzenaudio” as the USB DAC when connected to my Nvidia Shield. Figure that?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #574 of 1,723
LoL owners waiting for DAC and usb-cable to break in, for sounding good, doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the sonar qualities of the Bathys.

Could it be a case of "if it looks expensive, and is expensive, it must be awesome" confirmation bias?

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #575 of 1,723
2. With transparency I prefer the Bathys a little more because I'm hearing the outside sounds more natural with similar volume level than not wearing headphones. The px8 is little more quiet, this is more clear when I'm hearing my footsteps walking.
Which one had less footstep noise when walking? That’s a dealbreaker for me with headphones which unfortunately eliminates almost all the good ones.

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #576 of 1,723
LoL owners waiting for DAC and usb-cable to break in, for sounding good, doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the sonar qualities of the Bathys.

Could it be a case of "if it looks expensive, and is expensive, it must be awesome" confirmation bias?
I think that's often the case. It's newer and it costs more, so it must be better. When I think advancements in audio tech are already well beyond what even the best human ears can discern. Now it's just numbers on a chart, but they no longer have any meaningful impact on what you actually hear.

But of course that won't stop manufacturers from continuing to push snake oil, as a fool and their money are easily parted :)

Usually when I buy something I'm always looking for reasons to not keep it. If I don't find those reasons, then I keep it. And I also more and more look at the value proposition. You pay more, but do you get more? Not always.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #578 of 1,723
Which one had less footstep noise when walking? That’s a dealbreaker for me with headphones which unfortunately eliminates almost all the good ones.

Don’t confuse this with bone conduction, meaning the unpleasant sounds of footsteps with IEMs and headphones when walking.

Here I’m speaking about transparency, the sounds coming from outside, from the environment.

The px8 having little less natural volume than Bathys. With Bathys is more close like when you’re not wearing anything and you hearing the outside noise with very close with reality volume level.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #579 of 1,723
In terms of Comfort I would say the Bathys is the most uncomfortable BLUETOOTH headphone I have tried due to the hard headband. There is only a small area of cushioning in the center of the headband and the rest is solid. So depending on shape of head you are potentially in contact with the hard areas. Same issue as my previous Sony MDRZ1R.

I have been looking for a solution like third party headband cover and found nothing.
Any ideas?

I could get Dekoni nuggets, but that would be permanent due to them glueing to the headband and so cannot sell in future.

Any suggestions please?
ZMF pilot pad does wonders for uncomfortable headbands.

Nov 5, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #582 of 1,723
No problem at all with Bathys 😃
Yeah, me neither I walk around all the time wearing them and calling people on the phone. The range is pretty amazing. I was upstairs with my phone downstairs on the other side of the house, playing music and it was perfect.

This help me with the comfort quite a bit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254126561513

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #583 of 1,723
I just got the Bathys and the PX8’s this week. Did a 12 hour burn in on both and so far I kind of like both of them for different reasons. I agree with mostly everyone that the PX8’s are warmer but the Bathys have better separation and less low end. I thought the Bathys larger steps in volume would annoy me and when it’s back to back with the PX8’s it is very apparent but when I’m solely using the Bathys it’s fine for me. All the other functions for me are on par with each other such as taking call, noise cancellation, etc. but the PX8’s build quality is better and feels premium compared to the Bathys; not a huge deal but the PX8’s come with much nicer cables. I found the PX8’s more comfortable but on by a small margin as I can feel the clamp force of the Bathys only when I’m just sitting there and not doing anything but when going about my day I don’t notice it. The Bathys do stand out more in public and I personally prefer understated headphones while on mass transit or in a coffee shop but on a plane I don‘t care. The PX8’s case is smaller but I don’t find the Bathys case to be huge so for travel it may matter if trying to onebag it for the weekend. My home headphones are Z-1Rs and the Focal Radiance so I initially thought I would prefer the PX8’s but I think there is a place for both in my life and my wife can use whichever ones I’m not at the moment.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #584 of 1,723
Don’t confuse this with bone conduction, meaning the unpleasant sounds of footsteps with IEMs and headphones when walking.

Here I’m speaking about transparency, the sounds coming from outside, from the environment.

The px8 having little less natural volume than Bathys. With Bathys is more close like when you’re not wearing anything and you hearing the outside noise with very close with reality volume level.
Ok - then which one had less bone conduction when walking 😅

Nov 6, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #585 of 1,723
I just got the Bathys and the PX8’s this week. Did a 12 hour burn in on both and so far I kind of like both of them for different reasons. I agree with mostly everyone that the PX8’s are warmer but the Bathys have better separation and less low end. I thought the Bathys larger steps in volume would annoy me and when it’s back to back with the PX8’s it is very apparent but when I’m solely using the Bathys it’s fine for me. All the other functions for me are on par with each other such as taking call, noise cancellation, etc. but the PX8’s build quality is better and feels premium compared to the Bathys; not a huge deal but the PX8’s come with much nicer cables. I found the PX8’s more comfortable but on by a small margin as I can feel the clamp force of the Bathys only when I’m just sitting there and not doing anything but when going about my day I don’t notice it. The Bathys do stand out more in public and I personally prefer understated headphones while on mass transit or in a coffee shop but on a plane I don‘t care. The PX8’s case is smaller but I don’t find the Bathys case to be huge so for travel it may matter if trying to onebag it for the weekend. My home headphones are Z-1Rs and the Focal Radiance so I initially thought I would prefer the PX8’s but I think there is a place for both in my life and my wife can use whichever ones I’m not at the moment.
Thank you. Could you elaborate on one point for low end.
Does the Bathys have less quantity of Sub Base/Low End? What if you Eq them up 3db for low end compared to PX8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back