Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Oct 31, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #541 of 1,745
The PX8 aren't that much less expensive than the Bathys and it is mostly AAC codec (one of lowest quality codecs supported by both headphones) where the Bathys are clearly worse in my experience. At higher quality codecs they trade blows and it becomes more of a sound preference when listening in low to moderate noise environments. I haven't been able to test the PX8 in higher noise environments yet, but the impact from the ANC is less on that headphone in the listening I've done so far.
Jeez I need to have your ears.

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #543 of 1,745
I have had no complaints wtth phone calls. In fact, some mentioned it was a lot quiter compared to other headphones I use, especially when I was vacuuming. My vacuum isn't that load as far as vacuums are concerned.

I have been told I was hard to hear, but turned out I had the headphones on backwards, LOL. When I flipped them, problem solved.
Don’t feel bad as my Wife put them on upside down, with headband underneath her chin. She said she didn’t want to ruin her hair.

I told her a Divorce is imminent.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #544 of 1,745
Don’t feel bad as my Wife put them on upside down, with headband underneath her chin. She said she didn’t want to ruin her hair.

I don't feel bad. A little silly maybe. I did it twice, LOL.

In your wife's defense, as silly it may seem, going to a hair salon can be very expensive for women. It's not like they get their hair done as frequently as most guys. As long as the headphones were pointed in the right direction, she would have heard the glory of mobile Focal.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #546 of 1,745
I had the PX8 for a few days and thought the B&W was too much.
Listen to the Bathys almost every day and the sound is still developing after almost 4 weeks. Tidal high res rules!
Sound is silky and quite smooth with lots of air. Bas is fast, attack and with good texture. Midrange is great and voices stands out in the mix. Happy so far :wink:
What I like most is drums, they sounds just fantastic on good recordings. My experience with metal membranes need long play time before they open up. Had Acustic energy AE2, Monitor audio studio 10 and Monitor audio ruby 3 :xf_cool:

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #547 of 1,745
For the Bathys running firmware version 1.4.2 the LED light works as follows:

The status of the LED light can only be set using the Focal & Naim app on a mobile device and in order to use the Focal & Naim app the Bathys MUST be connected to the mobile device via Bluetooth. Unlike the EQ settings, the setting for LED light only affects the LED light when using Bluetooth. When using USB-DAC audio or 3.5mm audio the LED light is automatically at 50% and at present cannot be changed.
Hang on, focal and Naim are in bed together? I didn't realize that

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #548 of 1,745

Would that affect the sound stage? Or the separation of appreciating the quality?

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #549 of 1,745
What other headphones that offer ANC and high res wired audio does Bathys really compete with? ANC always seems to go with BT…. I don’t need BT but would like ANC … so am tempted

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #550 of 1,745
Yesterday I tried using the DAC mode of the Bathys via my iPhone. It should have sounded better than BT from my iPhone but I thought it sounded very dry and metallic. I'm assuming the DAC portion of the headphones needs to break in (or the USB cable).

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #551 of 1,745
What other headphones that offer ANC and high res wired audio does Bathys really compete with? ANC always seems to go with BT…. I don’t need BT but would like ANC … so am tempted
The Sony WH-1000XM5, as well the XM3 and XM4, all can be used wired with ANC turned on and all cost much less than the Bathys. The AKG N90Q is also wired with ANC.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #554 of 1,745
Yesterday I tried using the DAC mode of the Bathys via my iPhone. It should have sounded better than BT from my iPhone but I thought it sounded very dry and metallic. I'm assuming the DAC portion of the headphones needs to break in (or the USB cable).
It shouldn't and in my experience it doesn't sound like that over USB. You are using Alac, Aiff or other lossless encoding and source material that is from CD or better? It will have more information overall, especially in the higher frequencies so it will reveal more deficiencies in the source material over USB, but always sounded quite a bit better than BT for me.

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #555 of 1,745
A DAC or a USB cable breaking in? What??? Sorry, that's absolute nonsense. I can maybe, just maybe, buy the notion that a speaker / driver needs to break in (and then it should only be a few minutes at best). But a USB cable that's transmitting an electrical signal? And a DAC which is just a micro-chip, no mechanical components? Come on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back