Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #856 of 1,719
Just got the bathys having recently bought the PX8. Hmmm not sure about them.
Things I like so far include the definitely wider soundstage, greater detail resolution and slightly leaner (but not anaemic) bass.
However, I find them far less comfortable than the PX8 on my head, I prefer the build and looks of the PX8, and I also find the PX8 noise cancelling to be better.
Also, the large volume steps on the bathys *really* bugs me - the PX8 had much more subtle volume control. When the bathys are in transparency mode in a quiet environment I get that really pronounced hiss that others have mentioned in this thread.
So overall, I would say that I am impressed by the sound quality but not sure if I'll be keeping them. The comfort and large volume steps are probably the things that will make me return them. Clearly heads are different, and the bathys might fit you more comfortably than they fit me!
The volume steps issue was a deal breaker for me…

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #857 of 1,719
I have both and your impressions mirror mine.
Really interesting isn't it? The sound is very good. I think I prefer the sound signature of the bathys to the PX8. Everything else though, the PX8 are ahead for me.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #858 of 1,719
I found a very covenient workaround for the volume steps - set disable absolute volume to on in the developer options. You now have separate volume control on your phone and your headphones and a much more precise control.
Genius tip - thanks!!!!

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #862 of 1,719
Sadly no option like that for iPhone users
I use the volume slider on iOS
CA0F491A-82C3-4FDA-AC4B-AE43E30DF410.jpeg

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #864 of 1,719
Does this work on iphone too? Where do I find the developer options?

This didn't help me when I had the Bathys - the increases in volume were still too abrupt.
Yeah the full screen volume slider in iPhone didn't work for me either, it slides a bit then the volume changes abruptly

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #867 of 1,719
The volume steps became smaller but still bigger than average. But at least for me it’s not a problem anymore. And With btd600 I have more control on iOS.
I thought the btd600 is for mac and not for an iphone?

Edit: Oh I see, the pic you uploaded was from your mac. Sorry. I get it now. (You probably just wrote iOS instead of macOS) :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #868 of 1,719
I thought the btd600 is for mac and not for an iphone?

Edit: Oh I see, the pic you uploaded was from your mac. Sorry. I get it now. (You probably just wrote iOS instead of macOS) :wink:
I use btd600 on iPhone 14 pro max with an otg adapter and on iPad Air with usb c

the pic I uploaded was from my iPad Air

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #869 of 1,719
Ok, a few days into Bathys ownership and these things are growing on me exponentially.
I have got them working perfectly in DAC mode from my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro via a bog standard USB C cable and wow do they sound good! Can’t honestly say whether it is just placebo, but they sound even sharper than via bluetooth, playing lossless Apple Music and tidal streams. I wonder what the internal DAC is on the bathys?
The comfort has improved, although they still lag behind the PX8 in that regard, but I think the SQ is just so much more to my preference. I love the detail retrieval and the slight warmth along with the very tight impactful bass. This is just in standard eq mode - haven’t fiddled with the 5-band eq yet.
Still feel A little self conscious wearing them out and about but no one really gives them a second look. But maybe that’s because I’m old and non-trendy…
Contrary to my first impressions, I think I’m going to end up keeping these.

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #870 of 1,719
Ok, a few days into Bathys ownership and these things are growing on me exponentially.
I have got them working perfectly in DAC mode from my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro via a bog standard USB C cable and wow do they sound good! Can’t honestly say whether it is just placebo, but they sound even sharper than via bluetooth, playing lossless Apple Music and tidal streams. I wonder what the internal DAC is on the bathys?
The comfort has improved, although they still lag behind the PX8 in that regard, but I think the SQ is just so much more to my preference. I love the detail retrieval and the slight warmth along with the very tight impactful bass. This is just in standard eq mode - haven’t fiddled with the 5-band eq yet.
Still feel A little self conscious wearing them out and about but no one really gives them a second look. But maybe that’s because I’m old and non-trendy…
Contrary to my first impressions, I think I’m going to end up keeping these.
This was my impression as well as directly wiring the USB-C sound the best.

USB-C > BT > 3.5mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back