Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #826 of 1,720
Early reports on Head-Fi.and elsewhere on the T&A ST are not that great (that is, compared to expectations). The ST probably needs some firmware and app updating / tweaking before an apples/apples comparison could be taken seriously.

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #827 of 1,720
BTW somone compare T+A BT to Bathys?

Early reports on Head-Fi.and elsewhere on the T&A ST are not that great (that is, compared to expectations). The ST probably needs some firmware and app updating / tweaking before an apples/apples comparison could be taken seriously.

The few people (4-5 that I seeing until today in good and serious reviews and here in head-fi, including me) that mentioning the Bathys when speaking about the A+T Solitaire T (ST), agreeing that sound quality is better in the ST.

The ST is also having excellent passive mode sound (meaning when you using the ST like normal wired headphone (where is not necessary switching on the headphone) and is have, apart from a 3.5mm cable, a balanced 4.4mm cable too. And of course is offering USB-C mode sound too.

The ST is having less maximum volume than Bathys (this is a big difference), more small earcups than is average in ANC headphones (not a problem for me), isn't have multi point connection (2 devices connection by BT at the same time), and the ST app is only releasing in next days / weeks so isn't ready when headphone releasing 3 weeks ago.

In my case, even with the imperfections of the ST, I deciding keeping this headphone and selling my 1000 euros Mark Levinson 5909 (that I prefer a little more than Bathys).

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #829 of 1,720
His review of the B&W Px8s really divided that thread but some (like me) enjoy his videos...
I haven't watch fully yet.

Can you do us a favour and let us know if he pulls the same ”max all bass and treble” trick on this one to check the max sound quality? :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #830 of 1,720
Can you do us a favour and let us know if he pulls the same ”max all bass and treble” trick on this one to check the max sound quality? :)
He was using the EQ settings but I didn't notice.
I don't have an Android phone but it drives me crazy when plays test songs, they don't have the HD or UHD badge.
Makes me think he is not using hi rez files.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #832 of 1,720
He was using the EQ settings but I didn't notice.
I don't have an Android phone but it drives me crazy when plays test songs, they don't have the HD or UHD badge.
Makes me think he is not using hi rez files.
I think that with the ridiculous ”test” method Flossy applies (EQ with elevated bass and treble, and MAX volume) it doesnt matter so much what source quality is used. Also, the songs from Usher etc are not really revealing masters anyway. But, Flossy actually mentioned that he ”is no audiophile but wants to be able to play LOUD and with lots of bass”.

Try eq:ing for super loudness and crank up the volume to fricking MAX and see how you like the sound of Bathys… or any headphone, for that matter 😂

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #833 of 1,720
No LDAC either right?
I have to say, based on my (extremely) limited experience with LDAC... The sound quality is great but I've had a lot of connectivity issues. I use my iFi Gryphon to receive sound from my NVIDIA shield TV Pro that's hooked up to my projector. Even though it's like 10 feet away from me, I get skipping and cutouts from time to time. Not enough to be annoying really but I've never experienced that with other codecs. I should probably test it using Aptx or AAC to see if it's not just a Gryphon issue before spouting my mouth off though

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #834 of 1,720
I find floss very entertaining hahaha

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #835 of 1,720
Hi. I received Bathys several days ago and while I love the sound, I have some issues with hissing (white noise).

I know that some of you already reported hissing in transparent mode, so I guess this is normal and I don't mind it, because I don't use transparent mode. But I have also a slight hiss in ANC modes - it's not as strong as in transparent mode, but it's really noticeable when music is not playing or in music passages with very low volume. I would say the hiss in ANC modes is like 30% of hiss in transparent mode. The hiss is in both Soft and Silent ANC modes (with similar volume). I know that white noise is there because of ANC and it can't be entirely avoided, but on Bathys it is for me much more noticeable than on other ANC headphones (compared with PX8, Momentum 4, Sony XM3, Aonic 50). Also the ANC can't be switched off, so it is always there (also in DAC mode). Since I intend to use the headphones in relatively quite environment, it's kind of a problem for me (I want the ANC to reduce my computer fan sounds, but the hiss is almost louder than the computer).

So the question for other Bathys owners - do you also have this slight hiss (white noise) in ANC modes? Because I'd like to know if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my piece.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #836 of 1,720
Hi. I received Bathys several days ago and while I love the sound, I have some issues with hissing (white noise).

I know that some of you already reported hissing in transparent mode, so I guess this is normal and I don't mind it, because I don't use transparent mode. But I have also a slight hiss in ANC modes - it's not as strong as in transparent mode, but it's really noticeable when music is not playing or in music passages with very low volume. I would say the hiss in ANC modes is like 30% of hiss in transparent mode. The hiss is in both Soft and Silent ANC modes (with similar volume). I know that white noise is there because of ANC and it can't be entirely avoided, but on Bathys it is for me much more noticeable than on other ANC headphones (compared with PX8, Momentum 4, Sony XM3, Aonic 50). Also the ANC can't be switched off, so it is always there (also in DAC mode). Since I intend to use the headphones in relatively quite environment, it's kind of a problem for me (I want the ANC to reduce my computer fan sounds, but the hiss is almost louder than the computer).

So the question for other Bathys owners - do you also have this slight hiss (white noise) in ANC modes? Because I'd like to know if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my piece.
I'm not noticing any hiss that would be considered out of the ordinary. Been using them for a week straight working from home. Love them. I'll report back if something pops up.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #837 of 1,720
Yes, they definitely don't have the black background I got used to using modern daps/amps. The hiss is there and it's a bit annoying at times. Im my case the overall SQ and comfort outweighted the cons (the always-on ANC is also something i would gladly got rid of), but i can understand that this could be a dealbreaker for some.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #838 of 1,720

Yes I have some noise, but it is fairly low in level so not much of an issue for me as music will mostly mask it. Seems to be at a slightly higher pitch in soft compared to silent. It will slightly affect the perception of music due to raising the noise floor into audible level, but I don't see it as much of an issue in an ANC headphone over BT. Granted I would never have accepted it in a stationary amp+headphone pairing.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #839 of 1,720

Yes I do have a slight hiss / noise floor that is audibly louder than on my PX8 or my XM3.

It bothers me more and more actually and is one of those things which are hard to ignore once you start hearing it.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #840 of 1,720

I have not noticed any white noise or hiss with mine. I’m almost afraid to even listen for it now though, given others have that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back