Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #841 of 1,720
I have not noticed any white noise or hiss with mine. I’m almost afraid to even listen for it now though, given others have that issue.
Sorry, did not mean to scare you :) It was the first thing I noticed when I put them on, so if you did not notice it yet, yours are probably ok. Maybe each piece is different in this regard.

I don't know exactly how to describe it, it's like a distant waterfall or a sound from a sea shell. It's present in most of the ANC headphones, so I did not expect completely black background, but for me it was just surprisingly loud on Bathys (compared to others) and it really started to bother me. But maybe I'm just too sensitive to this. Also on Soft ANC mode I would expect this hiss to be reduced, since the ANC in that mode most is almost negligible. For example PX8 also have this slight hiss, but it's barely noticeable and does not bother me.

I guess the best solution would be to add the option to disable ANC completely (leave DSP on, just switch off ANC), but I'm not sure if this is possible just with some firmware update. I think Focal created Bathys to be used mainly as a portable headphone used in noisy environments, in that case ANC always on makes sense. For usage in relatively quiet environments passive closed headphones would be better - but for me using bluetooth headphones while working is a matter of convenience (no cables, no DAC/AMP needed, you can just walk away from desk with headphones on).

I'm still not sure if this is a deal breaker for me - I'd like to keep them, because for my ears the sound quality is the best of the bluetooth headphones I've tried (Sony XM3, Aonic 50, Momentum 4, PX8). PX8 have less hiss, better comfort and build quality, but the sound is just not enjoyable for me (I listen mostly to orchestral music, and I think PX8 is better suited for other types of music). I did not try ML 5909, but I've read that is has similar problems with this ANC white noise (also I'm not sure if ANC can be switched completely off).

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #842 of 1,720
Sorry, did not mean to scare you :) It was the first thing I noticed when I put them on, so if you did not notice it yet, yours are probably ok. Maybe each piece is different in this regard.

I don't know exactly how to describe it, it's like a distant waterfall or a sound from a sea shell. It's present in most of the ANC headphones, so I did not expect completely black background, but for me it was just surprisingly loud on Bathys (compared to others) and it really started to bother me. But maybe I'm just too sensitive to this. Also on Soft ANC mode I would expect this hiss to be reduced, since the ANC in that mode most is almost negligible. For example PX8 also have this slight hiss, but it's barely noticeable and does not bother me.

I guess the best solution would be to add the option to disable ANC completely (leave DSP on, just switch off ANC), but I'm not sure if this is possible just with some firmware update. I think Focal created Bathys to be used mainly as a portable headphone used in noisy environments, in that case ANC always on makes sense. For usage in relatively quiet environments passive closed headphones would be better - but for me using bluetooth headphones while working is a matter of convenience (no cables, no DAC/AMP needed, you can just walk away from desk with headphones on).

I'm still not sure if this is a deal breaker for me - I'd like to keep them, because for my ears the sound quality is the best of the bluetooth headphones I've tried (Sony XM3, Aonic 50, Momentum 4, PX8). PX8 have less hiss, better comfort and build quality, but the sound is just not enjoyable for me (I listen mostly to orchestral music, and I think PX8 is better suited for other types of music). I did not try ML 5909, but I've read that is has similar problems with this ANC white noise (also I'm not sure if ANC can be switched completely off).
I see what you mean now. If I listen very carefully I can barely hear the distant waterfall sound, but it is very faint for me. It doesn't seem to bother me.

I agree that an option to turn off the ANC would be ideal, but I think you're right about the use-case being mostly for having it activated anyway. Luckily, I'm fine either way.

Btw, I can really relate to you with listening to orchestral music. That's one of the main reasons I went with the Bathys, rather than the PX8, because I don't really listen to hip-hop or other bassy music in general, so don't require that boost. And the Bathys are still quite punchy for me anyway, even when my music choices veer that way. I'm relieved to hear that validation from you. Hopefully, you can still return your PX8, if they really don't meet your needs.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #843 of 1,720
@Resolve

Wondering if you've managed to replicate anything like this on the measuring rig there? Do measuring rigs use a standard head diameter or can you alter it, as head size can vary a fair bit?

c12pey6atsw91.jpg

I replicated it subjectively, the sound does change as I push the pads in. I've got a small head so clamping force is low, I wonder how much this affects sound signature based on head size.

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #844 of 1,720
Dec 11, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #845 of 1,720
Just wanted to confirm (again) that Bathys are good gaming headphones in my honest opinion.
I am exclusively using them for gaming as my job shifted permanently to working from home. They replaced my old favourite, the Sennheiser HD6XX.

Bathys does not have the same physicality of the other Focal headphones, but its warmt and 'Focal laid-back' approach makes them suitable for gaming and less fatiguing.
Single player games sound like a dream and FPS are not too shabby. I have been playing to the BioShock and Metro trilogy recently.

Gunshots and explosions have less impact, but still sound good and do not make your ears fatigued!
If you own a Steam Deck, definitely use the DAC-mode. Apart from sound improvements, I feel that the soundstage increases.

Now, speaking of DAC-mode, does anyone recommend a pliable and light USB-C cable?
I am using the one that comes in the box as my premium Anker cable which is nylon/braided is very stiff.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #846 of 1,720
Just wanted to confirm (again) that Bathys are good gaming headphones in my honest opinion.
I am exclusively using them for gaming as my job shifted permanently to working from home. They replaced my old favourite, the Sennheiser HD6XX.

Bathys does not have the same physicality of the other Focal headphones, but its warmt and 'Focal laid-back' approach makes them suitable for gaming and less fatiguing.
Single player games sound like a dream and FPS are not too shabby. I have been playing to the BioShock and Metro trilogy recently.

Gunshots and explosions have less impact, but still sound good and do not make your ears fatigued!
If you own a Steam Deck, definitely use the DAC-mode. Apart from sound improvements, I feel that the soundstage increases.

Now, speaking of DAC-mode, does anyone recommend a pliable and light USB-C cable?
I am using the one that comes in the box as my premium Anker cable which is nylon/braided is very stiff.
I’m watching this cable

Anker Cabo USB C 100 W, PL III Flow C-C cabo (6 pés) https://amzn.eu/d/faWmqVY

But also one from belkin tangle free

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #847 of 1,720
I’m watching this cable

Anker Cabo USB C 100 W, PL III Flow C-C cabo (6 pés) https://amzn.eu/d/faWmqVY

But also one from belkin tangle free
I have all the Anker cables but not the one you linked. I have the series 3, series 5 and series 7.
They don't tangle like in the photo but do not find them pliable and easy to use.

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #849 of 1,720
Hi guys, I will buy/get the Bathys soon. As I am an iPhone user (and sound ist top priority to me), I will most likely use the Bathys with either the USB cable OR the 3.5mm cable (with the Questyle M15 dongle). That being said, did you guys hear any difference between those two (wired) options? (USB vs. with a good dongle) ??

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #850 of 1,720
Hi guys, I will buy/get the Bathys soon. As I am an iPhone user (and sound ist top priority to me), I will most likely use the Bathys with either the USB cable OR the 3.5mm cable (with the Questyle M15 dongle). That being said, did you guys hear any difference between those two (wired) options? (USB vs. with a good dongle) ??
Never tried the 3.5mm as everything runs through the DSP so the purest audio path would be USB in rather than doing multiple conversions.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #851 of 1,720
I have all the Anker cables but not the one you linked. I have the series 3, series 5 and series 7.
They don't tangle like in the photo but do not find them pliable and easy to use.
Also watching this one

Belkin Cabo trançado USB-C para USB-C de 2 m BoostCharge Pro Flex, cabo de carregamento rápido Power Delivery com certificação USB-IF para MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Galaxy S22 Ultra, Plus e outros, preto https://amzn.eu/d/eDMHp6e

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #853 of 1,720
Just got the bathys having recently bought the PX8. Hmmm not sure about them.
Things I like so far include the definitely wider soundstage, greater detail resolution and slightly leaner (but not anaemic) bass.
However, I find them far less comfortable than the PX8 on my head, I prefer the build and looks of the PX8, and I also find the PX8 noise cancelling to be better.
Also, the large volume steps on the bathys *really* bugs me - the PX8 had much more subtle volume control. When the bathys are in transparency mode in a quiet environment I get that really pronounced hiss that others have mentioned in this thread.
So overall, I would say that I am impressed by the sound quality but not sure if I'll be keeping them. The comfort and large volume steps are probably the things that will make me return them. Clearly heads are different, and the bathys might fit you more comfortably than they fit me!

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #855 of 1,720
Just got the bathys having recently bought the PX8. Hmmm not sure about them.
Things I like so far include the definitely wider soundstage, greater detail resolution and slightly leaner (but not anaemic) bass.
However, I find them far less comfortable than the PX8 on my head, I prefer the build and looks of the PX8, and I also find the PX8 noise cancelling to be better.
Also, the large volume steps on the bathys *really* bugs me - the PX8 had much more subtle volume control. When the bathys are in transparency mode in a quiet environment I get that really pronounced hiss that others have mentioned in this thread.
So overall, I would say that I am impressed by the sound quality but not sure if I'll be keeping them. The comfort and large volume steps are probably the things that will make me return them. Clearly heads are different, and the bathys might fit you more comfortably than they fit me!
I have both and your impressions mirror mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back