Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Dec 10, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,546 of 1,708
Is it worth buying the Bathys with the Clear MG and the Ananda Nano on the way if I'm only interested in using them in Bluetooth mode?

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,548 of 1,708
I take them to work for rest hours although I always usually carry a cable + Dx300 so I already doubt if I'm going to take advantage of them because if in the end I use them by cable I don't think they will improve anything on the ones I already have and I usually take them to the gym the Bud 2 pro...at home I'm definitely not going to use them

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #1,550 of 1,708
If I'm listening at home at my desk with my DAC/amp I use the Clear or the iBasso SR3. But if I'm in another room, I would either use the Bathys from my Sony WM1A and aptX Adaptive/HD, or the iBasso SR2 wired to the Sony. At work, at my desk, I can see using the Bathys via USB-C. By the way, Amazon offers nicely portable flat but high output fast chargers from Anker and Baseus (that one pretty closely matches the finish of the Bathys).

I've ordered a Creative BT-W5 (tiny USB-C dongle, Bluetooth 5.3, and aptX Adaptive) to see how it works from a dock/hub connected to my MacBook Pro M1 with Audirvana as the source, going to the Bathys. Apple removed any aptX codec from the latest two macOS versions, and AAC just isn't good enough.

I think it'll be at least two or three years before we see any pure WiFi (not Bluetooth) headphones that aren't a flawed first release proof of concept and very expensive.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,551 of 1,708
If I'm listening at home at my desk with my DAC/amp I use the Clear or the iBasso SR3. But if I'm in another room, I would either use the Bathys from my Sony WM1A and aptX Adaptive/HD, or the iBasso SR2 wired to the Sony. At work, at my desk, I can see using the Bathys via USB-C. By the way, Amazon offers nicely portable flat but high output fast chargers from Anker and Baseus (that one matches the finish of the Bathys).

I've ordered a Creative BT-W5 (tiny USB-C dongle, Bluetooth 5.3, and aptX Adaptive) to see how it works from a dock/hub connected to my MacBook Pro M1 with Audirvana as the source, going to the Bathys. Apple removed any aptX codec from the latest two macOS versions, and AAC just isn't good enough.

I think it'll be at least two or three years before we see any pure WiFi (not Bluetooth) headphones that aren't a flawed first release proof of concept and very expensive.
pure WiFi is the only way wireless will be competitive with Wired. Will be a few years for sure.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,552 of 1,708
I’ve been eyeing focal as a brand to try after my Hifimans and I inadvertently stumbled into a shop that had them on display. I regret auditioning them. I was quite pleased with the sound sig just running BT Apple Music on iPhone. Only reason I didn’t buy it then and there was because that store was selling it on MSRP.
So after a few days of browsing the interwebs, I remebered a store nearby carried them. Went there today, Lo and Behold, I asked if they had stock and they said they need two days. I asked how much and they said $510.

Paid deposit and waiting patiently now.
Did I win?

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #1,553 of 1,708
I’ve been eyeing focal as a brand to try after my Hifimans and I inadvertently stumbled into a shop that had them on display. I regret auditioning them. I was quite pleased with the sound sig just running BT Apple Music on iPhone. Only reason I didn’t buy it then and there was because that store was selling it on MSRP.
So after a few days of browsing the interwebs, I remebered a store nearby carried them. Went there today, Lo and Behold, I asked if they had stock and they said they need two days. I asked how much and they said $510.

Did I win?
500 is a great price for them. They are worth more than that in my opinion

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #1,554 of 1,708

Did I win?
You hit the jackpot!

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #1,555 of 1,708
Anyone else having problems getting DAC mode to work in MacOS Sonoma? I have tried multiple times to get it to recognize the headset, and tried plugging the cable into the headset - the mac and vice versa before and after switching to DAC mode. Nothing happens. It has worked, so I guess it is a software related issue. Works on my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,556 of 1,708
I have no problems with Sonoma. Did you change the sound output in System Settings or your audio player?

1702354574613.png

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #1,557 of 1,708
The Creative BT-W5 works great with my MacBook Pro M1, giving me the ability to connect using aptX Adaptive, and will deal with up to 24/96 files from Audirvana. This is a VERY tiny USB-C dongle connecting with Bluetooth 5.3. I did have to try a half-dozen times to get the Bathys to connect to the BT-W5, but it works now, even from a powered industrial USB 3.1 hub attached to the underside of my desktop that is fed from an OWC Thunderbolt4 dock. The sound is excellent for Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,558 of 1,708

Did I win?
Niiice! That's a great price.
I paid the full price $699 and still think it's worth it.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #1,559 of 1,708
Anyone else having problems getting DAC mode to work in MacOS Sonoma? I have tried multiple times to get it to recognize the headset, and tried plugging the cable into the headset - the mac and vice versa before and after switching to DAC mode. Nothing happens. It has worked, so I guess it is a software related issue. Works on my iPhone 15 Pro Max.
I also use them with my Mac running Sonoma and have no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back