Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Nov 23, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,534 of 1,721
I'm no expert. But to the people saying Bluetooth will never beat a wired connection: this has been the year that AI came of age (or at least a primitive form became ubiquitous to the public). Are you honestly saying that it's possible for humans to create a technology so advanced that it can surpass our pwn capabilities and even threaten our entire existence, but the concept of Bluetooth being comparable to wired is still in the realm of science fiction?
Hi-res files (to 96KHz) on Android with BT AptX Adaptive are decent sounding on Bathys (which also support it). I own Clear MGs and the difference between the two is significant (in favour of the wired cans) for all the reasons outlined on this thread. However, I just moved to iOS and I have to say the restriction to listening to AAC files over Bluetooth is just awful and awful sounding. I’m using the wired DAC on the Bathys all the time on the apple device. Kinda defeats the purpose of wireless BT for me: I feel sorry for iOS users who’ve never listened to music on the Bathys connected via BT AptX adaptive on Android. They really are missing out, inferior and all as BT is as a digital transport for wireless music.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #1,535 of 1,721
Hi-res files (to 96KHz) on Android with BT AptX Adaptive are decent sounding on Bathys (which also support it). I own Clear MGs and the difference between the two is significant (in favour of the wired cans) for all the reasons outlined on this thread. However, I just moved to iOS and I have to say the restriction to listening to AAC files over Bluetooth is just awful and awful sounding. I’m using the wired DAC on the Bathys all the time on the apple device. Kinda defeats the purpose of wireless BT for me: I feel sorry for iOS users who’ve never listened to music on the Bathys connected via BT AptX adaptive on Android. They’re really are missing out, inferior and all as BT is as a digital transport for wireless music.
Luckily I have Sony Xperia 1 V. They get the most out of Bathys in wireless mode. This phone was a bit finicky with Bathys in the beginning. But after several updates, the Bluetooth sound has become more stable. I guess since it was a new model it had some startup issues. Like most new things

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #1,536 of 1,721
So compare the Bathys against other Bluetooth headphones, not against the other Focal headphones (I do have a Clear and my son has a Utopia) and not against other quality wired units. Different horses for different courses.
I disagree personally.

Audio is always about compromise. If someone owns a pair of Celestee, and buys a Bathys, the question undoubtebly emerges, do the Celestee sound better enough for me to forego the wireless convenience, or equally, do the Bathys approach Celestee enough that I might sell them altogether?

Comparisons are vital so people can get an idea of where things sit relatively. Someone with a closed back Sundara may be pleased to realise Bathys is better, even as a bluetooth headphone, so they can sell their closed back sundara and their wireless headphones and obtain a Bathys for a similar cost.

The physical limitations inherent in something like a Bathys means it cannot compete with similarly priced wired headphones, of course. But the quesiton in peoples minds will always be what is that gap, and in audio people are curious, there is no harm in an honest comparison.

Nov 23, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,537 of 1,721
In my case, I need closed-back headphones for street use and commute, ones that won’t make me long for the sound of the 109pro. The quality difference compared to the 99 classics is quite noticeable, and I want closed-back headphones that won’t leave me missing the sound I have at home – a clean, clear sound with good tonality. I’m not expecting the same quality (I know that’s impossible), but I’d like something that I can enjoy. Are the Bathys the right choice?
Do not believe anyone here. The only way to determine that is to purchase them and see. I had them and returned because of the weight and they just didn’t seem right in the gym. Besides I usually only listen to podcasts and Audible with wireless so the Sonys are a better choice. The momentum have better sound and battery life but the cups are too small for me. The Bathys better sound but hard switching from one device to another any too geeky looking for my use cases. Then it also depends what kind of music. If you are a bass head Bathys are probably not the best choice either.

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #1,540 of 1,721
I recently discovered that Bathys has volume control when connected via 3.5mm stereo input. Does this imply that Bathys's built-in amp/dsp can handle line input?
Will the A70 Pro desktop amplifier experience double amping if I connect this to it?

Also, Bathys sound the best when it was paired with RU7 in LO mode.

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #1,541 of 1,721
Bathys just got new Firmware!
They seem to have fixed the playback of mixed resolution files via the DAC input! No problem with multiple changes of all sorts of PCM resolution files and DSD files, at least listening to AIF files via Audirvana Origin from my MacBook (I have the Audio Midi setting at the 192/24 setting).

I also emailed Focal asking about the USB-C cables. They've "only tested the Bathys with USB 2.0 cables," but I've tried them with others up to Thunderbolt 4, and all work fine (which makes sense).

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #1,542 of 1,721
... looking to enhance my listening experience both at home when I need isolation and while traveling. ... - I’ve heard that the ANC on the Bathys is not up to par. ... - As an iPhone user, I anticipate using the headphones primarily in DAC mode (I don’t mind using cables). ... other closed headphones (maybe without BT) ...
To some degree, I not fully grasping what you're trying to achieve. That said, yes, the ANC isn't the greatest compared to Sony or Bose. It does work enough and doesn't alter the sound that much, which is something many ANC headphones do when the ANC is on.

Unless you have an iPhone which a USB C, you're going to need an adapter to use the DAC. That said, kind of defeats the purpose of that headphone in being travel friendly. They're primarily for BT. The other modes are about convenience and being robust.

If you're doing mind wires, sounds like you may be more interested in a bluetootch dongle/amp/dac such as the FiiO BTR5/BTR7/BT15 or similar device. Then you get get some closed backs with a good fit or some IEMs with a tigh seal or with custom ear molds. The latter will have a better ANC on average, and even better with custom ear molds. It can be near dead silent.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #1,543 of 1,721
To some degree, I not fully grasping what you're trying to achieve. That said, yes, the ANC isn't the greatest compared to Sony or Bose. It does work enough and doesn't alter the sound that much, which is something many ANC headphones do when the ANC is on.

Unless you have an iPhone which a USB C, you're going to need an adapter to use the DAC. That said, kind of defeats the purpose of that headphone in being travel friendly. They're primarily for BT. The other modes are about convenience and being robust.

If you're doing mind wires, sounds like you may be more interested in a bluetootch dongle/amp/dac such as the FiiO BTR5/BTR7/BT15 or similar device. Then you get get some closed backs with a good fit or some IEMs with a tigh seal or with custom ear molds. The latter will have a better ANC on average, and even better with custom ear molds. It can be near dead silent.
There aren´t that many closed headphones that meet all the criteria: comfortable and not excessively large, aesthetically pleasing, and with substantially superior sound to the Meze 99 Classics, without exceeding the $1000/€1,000 barrier. Can you think of any interesting models to consider?

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,544 of 1,721
There aren´t that many closed headphones that meet all the criteria: comfortable and not excessively large, aesthetically pleasing, and with substantially superior sound to the Meze 99 Classics, without exceeding the $1000/€1,000 barrier. Can you think of any interesting models to consider?
You have a lot of requirements here...

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #1,545 of 1,721
It’s a good thing to know what you want😉
I personally love the bathys and use the very often with my iPhone. Before I was carrying around a Dap and I was always tinkering with sound, because I mix and master a lot. The bathys with a lighting to usb c cable (ogt) totally ended that, looking for better audio feeling. It’s tuned for a fun listening session and they sound so good, that I don’t miss too much from my clears, which I use to mix and master, besides my studio monitors.
I had the momentum 3s before, but I was never as “relaxed” as I am now. I don’t mind the cable for usb c, but I just don’t want to carry a dap/dac around anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back