Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Sep 17, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #1,336 of 1,708
Wow, so it's 2023 and I've been obsessed with music since about 1990.

What a nice situation where we finally have a head-fi tier headphone with decent drivers that can image (unlike many of the consumer noise cancellers) that adapts to our hearing. This is a dream come true, as my hearing has always been rolled off over 13.5k with uneven response in different ears in the mids; so almost no matter how high up the summit-fi tier I'd try to listen, I would typically find the frequency response of headphones just bizarre. The issue was never near as pronounced with speakers in a room with the natural crossfeed, but like most I really like the idea of personal and private audio experiences.

So yeah... FINALLY. I can now hear many details far better without having to turn these up so loud and they sound a lot more like good speakers in a decent room since they are assessing each ear individually. Now if only we could get them in Beryllium.

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,338 of 1,708
Does the Mimi feature work in DAC mode for you?

With my Bathys, it works perfectly in Bluetooth mode, but when I switch to DAC mode with Mimi turned on, the Bathys either produce no sound at all or just their normal sound without the Mimi adjustments applied (sometimes the former (more often), sometimes the latter). When I switch Mimi off, DAC mode works as it always did.

I already tried a factory reset of the headphone, but that didn’t help.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #1,339 of 1,708

With my Bathys, it works perfectly in Bluetooth mode, but when I switch to DAC mode with Mimi turned on, the Bathys either produce no sound at all or just their normal sound without the Mimi adjustments applied (sometimes the former (more often), sometimes the latter). When I switch Mimi off, DAC mode works as it always did.

Strangely Mimi does work on my MacBook Pro (with USB-C connected), but it doesn´t work with my Android Samsung mobile.

Sep 17, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #1,340 of 1,708
Mimi is working fine in DAC mode on Windows 11 with ASIO4all driver out of Winyl or Musicbee over here. You can also tune the strength of the correction to your preference by playing something over bluetooth and adjusting the strength slider for a real-time tune.

I ended up dropping it down to 40% because I am not even used to hearing the higher frequencies anymore, heh. Didn't make me flinch to hard, but I was a little concerned about overboost'age up there.

Wow, do they sound good and clear at lower volumes now.

Sep 18, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #1,341 of 1,708
Strangely Mimi does work on my MacBook Pro (with USB-C connected), but it doesn´t work with my Android Samsung mobile.
Hm, interesting. “Doesn’t work” meaning no sound?

I normally use DAC mode with an iPad or iPhone. Will try with my MacBook Pro, too.

Speaking of that: I always had problems with the Bathys’ mic on the MacBook Pro in DAC mode. I.e. in video conferences, I could hear the others perfectly, but they heard me only very faint, too quiet to be usable. Same on Linux; I don’t have a Windows computer to test with. On the MacBook, there’s also no possibility to change the volume of the mic (which is available for other USB microphones).

I never bothered because it works perfectly in Bluetooth mode, and that’s what I actually use at work, but I always had the nagging feeling that I might have a defective unit.

So: Do you see the same?

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,342 of 1,708
Hm, interesting. “Doesn’t work” meaning no sound?

I normally use DAC mode with an iPad or iPhone. Will try with my MacBook Pro, too.

Speaking of that: I always had problems with the Bathys’ mic on the MacBook Pro in DAC mode. I.e. in video conferences, I could hear the others perfectly, but they heard me only very faint, too quiet to be usable. Same on Linux; I don’t have a Windows computer to test with. On the MacBook, there’s also no possibility to change the volume of the mic (which is available for other USB microphones).

I never bothered because it works perfectly in Bluetooth mode, and that’s what I actually use at work, but I always had the nagging feeling that I might have a defective unit.

So: Do you see the same?
I don’t use the mic, so I can‘t comment on that.

„doesn‘t work“ means everything works fine but only Mimi doesn‘t work

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #1,343 of 1,708
Just set up Mimi and it is very obvious even at 50% intensity. Only tried on Bluetooth so far.

I might be completely diminishing what it does by saying this, but it reminds me of when you set Sound Enhancer on at 50% or higher in ITunes. Like all the levels are just boosted.

It’s like the music somehow sounds veiled without Mimi on and there’s a lot more sparkle with it turned on. However before trying with Mimi on I never felt the music was veiled at all on Bathys. In fact, Bathys sounds similar in moving from AirPods Max as this does with Mimi on and off.

I don’t fully understand how this works (I haven’t researched yet), but does this mean that my natural hearing doesn’t hear higher frequencies without them being scaled up by Mimi?

Even after doing this test I am still sitting far under optimal levels, especially for higher frequencies. Unsure if you’re meant to get to the optimal level, but I’ll redo the test at some point to find out.

Attachments

• IMG_5447.png
    IMG_5447.png
    278.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #1,344 of 1,708
Redid the test and tried to concentrate more and there was zero difference in the graphs supplied following the test.

I will say that Mimi at 50% and EQ on Dynamic, Bathys sounds like a much more expensive headphone. Really wow.

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #1,345 of 1,708

How can you test this?

For me, I connect via MBP and when using DAC mode, can’t find the device in the app to check if Mimi is active. Of course it’s active from the last time I used it on BT, and much like with EQ I assume it’s working in DAC mode, but how can you check if the app won’t discover the device in DAC mode?

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #1,346 of 1,708
How can you test this?

For me, I connect via MBP and when using DAC mode, can’t find the device in the app to check if Mimi is active. Of course it’s active from the last time I used it on BT, and much like with EQ I assume it’s working in DAC mode, but how can you check if the app won’t discover the device in DAC mode?
Is mimi a free service? How do I get this?

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #1,347 of 1,708
It’s just available in the app under Sound Personalization next to EQ, NC and LED.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #1,348 of 1,708
Is there a lot of difference between Mimi and what some android phones have embedded in them already, my previous phone Samsung S8 had a feature where it tested you right and left hearing. And then adjusted where it needed, I have to say the difference was very noticeable. I haven't tried that feature on Bathys yet since I have Sony phone now. But with Mimi I can finally try it, awesome

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #1,349 of 1,708

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,350 of 1,708
It’s just available in the app under Sound Personalization next to EQ, NC and LED.
Wow, I can't believe the difference it makes. When I turn the personalisation off it now sounds the vocalist is down a well. I'm also picking up so many more instruments. I'm also able to keep the volume down without compromising the listening experience. Does the personalisation carry over into dac mode?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back