Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Aug 24, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,231 of 1,739
What’s the point of wireless then? You’re going to get better sound and cheaper options from wired options Most use wireless rigs on the go. At gym etc.
The option of the ANC and wireless for when you need it. There are always compromises to be had with a wireless / ANC headphone.

I wouldn't use it at the gym. I can't imagine the fake leather being sweat resistant. That's what airpods pro are for.

The Bathys probably sound as good as most $500US wired options.

I can't say wired options are cheaper given I'm listening to the Utopia 2022 as I type this. lol

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #1,234 of 1,739
At the gym? Really 😂😂😂
Totally off topic but I know someone who wears a Patek 5712G ... to the gym and instagrams it. *flex*

Not me though. If I could afford to wear a 5712G to the gym I could afford a pair of new Focal Headphones every time they got sweaty.

Aug 24, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #1,236 of 1,739
The horrible blasting at my gym needs something significant to overcome it,
To each their own, of course, but when I go to the gym I push myself quite hard and that results in significant sweating. I cannot imagine wearing headphones. Some decent (but not expensive) IEMs or TWS work best for me as I don’t want the discomfort of overly warm and sweaty over ears. But, to each their own, of course!

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,238 of 1,739
IPX rated true wireless are the most sensible option for working out. Over ear are rarely resistant to sweat and also have a tendency to fall off when doing large head movements.
I usually use, sennheiser momentum true wireless 2 for working out. Weights or cycling. They have survived a lot of rain even if they are not rated for that

Aug 26, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #1,240 of 1,739
Personally I'm very happy that Bathys have physical buttons and not touch controls. I've had 2 headphones previous with touch controls, and if your fingers are a little moist sometimes they will misunderstand the command or go haywire. The volume rockets suddenly to the sky, or you are listening to a good vibe and try to turn up the volume and it skips to next song. So with headphones I actually prefer physical buttons
I'm happy the Bathys has physical buttons too because touch controls drive me crazy but what buttons they have just aren't very good. There are too many of them, the layout is bad, they're hard to differentiate or memorize, and one of them is almost DIP switch like. I've had a lot of wireless and/or ANC over the years and many of them (Bose for instance) have gotten it down to a simple and reliable 4 or 5 button design. You need an on/off/bluetooth setup type button, a volume rocker with center button for things like mute, and then a mode button.

Speaking of modes, Focal did something strange with their mode button. A short press toggles between two things and a long press toggles between two other things. I get what they were going for but I often can't tell which mode I'm in. I think that may be why a lot of reviewers don't rate the noise cancelling very highly... because they never get to try all of the modes.

As far as I can tell they also dropped the ball on lack of an easy way to tell how much battery life remains. Sony nailed that with a click of a button and voice that tells you in 10% increments. The only way I can tell on the Bathys is to open the app which is not cool for such core information.

/rant

All that said, I do actually love the Bathys. It has great sound, build quality, and fit. I just wish they'd done better on the UX. Hopefully v2/mk2 will iron out a lot of these minor annoyances.

Aug 26, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #1,241 of 1,739
I can last a good 3hrs with Bathys. I do start to notice them though, the headband is very thin so naturally you get a hotspot if you don't have lots of hair to pad it out.
Yeah, the headband is a bit too narrow. Focal should widen it. They could probably do with a bit less clamp as well. I don't have any problem wearing them for 3 or 4 hours while watching TV or movies but I am aware of them more than I want to be.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #1,242 of 1,739
Yeah, the headband is a bit too narrow. Focal should widen it. They could probably do with a bit less clamp as well. I don't have any problem wearing them for 3 or 4 hours while watching TV or movies but I am aware of them more then I want to be.
I think they used my head as a model for this😂 Because I like that they sit just slightly tighter than my previous Beoplay HX.

Aug 26, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #1,243 of 1,739
The rocker with central push is just too small for my thick fingers. Great headphones but every single one of the current crowd fails at some level. I like the momentum a lot for value but the earcups are just too small. The Sonys have fantastic ANC but suited to rock, metal electronic more than classical/acoustic/vocals. I’ve just gone back to AirPods and use wired when I’m not moving around.

Aug 26, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,244 of 1,739
I'm happy the Bathys has physical buttons too because touch controls drive me crazy but what buttons they have just aren't very good. There are too many of them, the layout is bad, they're hard to differentiate or memorize, and one of them is almost DIP switch like. I've had a lot of wireless and/or ANC over the years and many of them (Bose for instance) have gotten it down to a simple and reliable 4 or 5 button design. You need an on/off/bluetooth setup type button, a volume rocker with center button for things like mute, and then a mode button.

Speaking of modes, Focal did something strange with their mode button. A short press toggles between two things and a long press toggles between two other things. I get what they were going for but I often can't tell which mode I'm in. I think that may be why a lot of reviewers don't rate the noise cancelling very highly... because they never get to try all of the modes.

As far as I can tell they also dropped the ball on lack of an easy way to tell how much battery life remains. Sony nailed that with a click of a button and voice that tells you in 10% increments. The only way I can tell on the Bathys is to open the app which is not cool for such core information.

/rant

All that said, I do actually love the Bathys. It has great sound, build quality, and fit. I just wish they'd done better on the UX. Hopefully v2/mk2 will iron out a lot of these minor annoyances.
On my android phone I can also check Bathys battery life by going into phone Bluetooth settings, pretty straightforward as a second option besides the app.

Aug 26, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #1,245 of 1,739
On my android phone I can also check Bathys battery life by going into phone Bluetooth settings, pretty straightforward as a second option besides the app.
Thanks, that's good to know but I don't usually use them with my phone I use them with my TV. Having some lights or an easy to access audio report would be a far more user friendly system. I don't use the Assistant features so maybe that has something I haven't discovered yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back