Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #1,201 of 1,776
I've got to say though i think the Bathys/PX8 level ANC is all most people need. It gets you 80% of the way there, as soon as music is on I really can't tell the difference between APM and Bathys ANC. I have to actively turn music off and compare them.
+1. Brought the XM5's (her preference) and Bathys (mine - coming from momentums) on a plane last week with plenty of time to compare in a real-world holiday situation. There's no super discernible difference in ANC quality when music is playing, but there is a discernible difference in music quality. Both did a good job of minimising the noise intrusion of crying babies and complaining people, however 🙉

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #1,202 of 1,776
Ok, so I flew today for 1 hour and 40 minutes and I'm flying back home tomorrow evening. So Bathys are not the best in the business for ANC. But they do an okay job no doubt.
I used them continuously for over three hours. When we were ready to board the plane and everyone stood in line, that's when I concluded that they do an ok job but you can still hear people speak, thats when I took of the headphones and realised how loud it was in comparisment without them. So they do an ok job for sure, you can hear people but you won't understand a word of what they are saying.
On a plane I didn't sweat for a second and didn't feel any moisture between my ears and headphone cups, but people are different in that case. The seal never broke even after moving a bit. You could hear some engine noise, but not that bad honestly.
I watched netflix through the whole flight (The Lincoln Lawyer) I was more relaxed than usual I would say. Decent amount of noise was blocked but not all.
Personally I'm very satisfied with them. I will always choose sound over ANC
I apologize but i must change my statement a bit, after flying home i realized that i made a mistake.
I realized that i must have had on low music volume when i said that you cant understand a word of what people are saying, for some reason i thought it was off.
But you can, so overall they are just OK for ANC.
But if you are listening to something even in low volume, music or netflix that does help quite a bit with drowning the background noise.

Aug 22, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,203 of 1,776
... But if you are listening to something even in low volume, music or netflix that does help quite a bit with drowning the background noise.
I hate to sound obtuse, why would one wear headphones with no content to try to get a quiet environment? Earplugs would be a way cheaper and more efficient to do this. Yes, customer earplugs can be expensive. Also, IEM/earplugs don't allow pressure changes in the ears as easily as headphones, so there is a comfort thing to consider.

Personally, I put the headphones on/in ASAP. I've flown enough that I rarely pay attention to the pre-flight instructions. I've usually already asleep or consuming media.

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #1,204 of 1,776
I hate to sound obtuse, why would one wear headphones with no content to try to get a quiet environment? Earplugs would be a way cheaper and more efficient to do this. Yes, customer earplugs can be expensive. Also, IEM/earplugs don't allow pressure changes in the ears as easily as headphones, so there is a comfort thing to consider.

Personally, I put the headphones on/in ASAP. I've flown enough that I rarely pay attention to the pre-flight instructions. I've usually already asleep or consuming media.
Some people use that in office environments, when they need to focus on a task and block out all the noise. Even music can be distracting for some people in some situations

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #1,207 of 1,776
I've got to say though i think the Bathys/PX8 level ANC is all most people need. It gets you 80% of the way there, as soon as music is on I really can't tell the difference between APM and Bathys ANC. I have to actively turn music off and compare them.
Yeah but you can get the momentum for under $200.
😄 That's why most by Sony for this task. Much cheaper, great ANC, and fairly good sound for the buck
Totally agree. Any ANC is going to degrade sound quality so you have to choose what’s most important

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #1,208 of 1,776
Yeah but you can get the momentum for under $200.
I did initially think Momentum got closer to the Bathys/PX8 than I thought. They are alas nowhere near what the Bathys can do. Still great value, but sound wise they are firmly in 'good bluetooth headphone territory' where as Bathys are 'challenging good wired headphone' territory

Aug 22, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #1,209 of 1,776
I did initially think Momentum got closer to the Bathys/PX8 than I thought. They are alas nowhere near what the Bathys can do. Still great value, but sound wise they are firmly in 'good bluetooth headphone territory' where as Bathys are 'challenging good wired headphone' territory
I use wireless in the gym and at night in need to listen to books that’s it. Otherwise I use wired. I got the Momentum 4 for $130 so it’s a no brainer. I had the Bathys for a while and have thick fingers so that rocker control was really problematic for me. I prefer controls on the headphone themselves sliding and tapping. The Bathys are great just not for me. Also after a few Focal auditions I found Focals sound signature to be dense like good German bread and I prefer something more open and transparent. I never tried the Utopias though so perhaps the high end is different. Many adore the Clear.

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #1,210 of 1,776
The Bathys are currently on sale at my dealership for $500US or less.

I already have two pairs of QC35 and AirPods Pro2. I suspect it will be too laggy for gaming (although the AirPods surprisingly work reasonably well with the PS5 using a bluetooth adapter). Will I be disappointed in the Bathys over say a Bose 700?

Or because my other headphones are technically superior I'm always going to be frustrated?

Open to opinions. My dealer doesn't have them I to audition but I"m keen to find out

Aug 22, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #1,212 of 1,776
Besides the normal hard panning of everything left that needs to be adjusted when using on DAC mode with a Mac computer (only slightly annoying), does anyone else get static sounds when adjusting volume on their Bathys on Mac using DAC mode?

Aug 22, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #1,213 of 1,776
Some people use that in office environments, when they need to focus on a task and block out all the noise. Even music can be distracting for some people in some situations
I've heard of this. I also seen people do this not so much for quite, but more a ploy to keep people from distrubing them. I've seen this a lot for exams--before or any breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back