Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Aug 17, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,171 of 1,776
Personally I'm very happy that Bathys have physical buttons and not touch controls. I've had 2 headphones previous with touch controls, and if your fingers are a little moist sometimes they will misunderstand the command or go haywire. The volume rockets suddenly to the sky, or you are listening to a good vibe and try to turn up the volume and it skips to next song. So with headphones I actually prefer physical buttons
The thing I like about Bathys & PX8 for that matter is just a clear sliding off switch. I find it so frustrating with various bits of tech (XM4, Qudelix 5K, Airpods Max, Go Blu, etc) when the off switch is some press and hold scenario, and it's often ambiguous whether it's turned off. I don't want to hold a button down for 4s to turn off a device and wait for a tone or led to flash, it's really poor user experience design.

Bathys get that right, It's simple and immediate to slide between DAC, on and off.

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,172 of 1,776
I have the Clear OG and Bathys and love them both for different uses. The Clears sound WAY better, however but not on an airplane or loud office they don’t. 😁

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,173 of 1,776
I think like everything you have to weigh use and music choices for every purchase. Not to mention personal preferences. That's why reviews can only be a portion of your decision before a purchase. Ideally you want to spend at least a few weeks with an item before deciding but in most cases this is impossible so we end up and selling a lot of gear.

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,174 of 1,776
I think like everything you have to weigh use and music choices for every purchase. Not to mention personal preferences. That's why reviews can only be a portion of your decision before a purchase. Ideally you want to spend at least a few weeks with an item before deciding but in most cases this is impossible so we end up and selling a lot of gear.
Yes indeed!

Aug 18, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #1,175 of 1,776
Thanks to ordering online we have 14 days to return them in my country. The place where I bought my PX8 has a 60 days open return policy, but I rarely use it. For headphones I mostly narrow it down to stuff I think I might like, but the headphones are generally "tuned" and not super expensive so I have lots of pairs that complement each other. Basically I buy, but rarely sell. For home use I mainly rotate between 3 headphones and have quite a few others that I use now and then. For ANC I swap between PX8 and Bathys while I have the XM5 for flights.

I am usually able to borrow a demo unit for a few weeks when shopping for my stereo, which is good as a wrong purchase on main components will typically incur a loss of 2-6k euros on sale, even if only used for 6 months. Dodged a few of those by borrowing the component from the dealer for 2-3 weeks.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,178 of 1,776
If you can share your opinion I'd be grateful. Been think of upgrading to these from the Beoplay H9 3rd gen but I value sound and ANC alike as I travel frequently.
I've had a PX7 S2 but anc was awful and simply turning the head left or right would break the seal and plane engine sound would go in so I ended up returning them.
Now I'd like to try the Bathys, hoping for a better experience :relieved:

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #1,179 of 1,776
The Bathys, on long flights are they comfortable to wear, will the ears get too sweaty and will the headband hurt or are they comfy no matter what?
I can last a good 3hrs with Bathys. I do start to notice them though, the headband is very thin so naturally you get a hotspot if you don't have lots of hair to pad it out.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #1,180 of 1,776
The Bathys, on long flights are they comfortable to wear, will the ears get too sweaty and will the headband hurt or are they comfy no matter what?
I found them extremely comfortable until I tried them on a flight when my ears sweated unnecessarily. I suggest looking for another model for flying purposes. I assume they just weren't designed to perform at altitude.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #1,181 of 1,776
I found them extremely comfortable until I tried them on a flight when my ears sweated unnecessarily. I suggest looking for another model for flying purposes. I assume they just weren't designed to perform at altitude.
Which one are you using now for flying?

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,183 of 1,776
I recently took a couple of 6 hour flights and wore the Bathys for most of the time and experienced no real discomfort.

Of course wearing a good pair of noise cancelling TWS is more comfortable, though you probably do get better passive isolation from a headphone.

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,185 of 1,776
I recently took a couple of 6 hour flights and wore the Bathys for most of the time and experienced no real discomfort.

Of course wearing a good pair of noise cancelling TWS is more comfortable, though you probably do get better passive isolation from a headphone.
I wore AirPods Pro 2 on my latest flight and found them hurting my ears after 90minutes listening hence my idea of using the Bathys for that purpose if I buy them

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back