Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Sep 1, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,246 of 1,776
After selling off most things and starting from scratch, i've added the Bathys along with a couple more new HeadFi toys.

Primary use case for the Bathys will be in the office when i'm bashing out a report or catching up on emails between meetings.

I'll use my AirPods 2 for calls as they're more likely to be sitting on my desk ready to pop in for a call and are less bulky/obvious.

I suppose I could sell the AirPods Max, but they work so well with my Apple TV4K for watching movies at night (Spacial/Atmos).

Looking forward to having a high quality sound in the office again after selling my Stellia/Hugo 2 setup some time back.

Sep 1, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #1,247 of 1,776
After selling off most things and starting from scratch, i've added the Bathys along with a couple more new HeadFi toys.

Primary use case for the Bathys will be in the office when i'm bashing out a report or catching up on emails between meetings.

I'll use my AirPods 2 for calls as they're more likely to be sitting on my desk ready to pop in for a call and are less bulky/obvious.

I suppose I could sell the AirPods Max, but they work so well with my Apple TV4K for watching movies at night (Spacial/Atmos).

Looking forward to having a high quality sound in the office again after selling my Stellia/Hugo 2 setup some time back.
Congratulations, the Bathys are great sounding headphones. Great BT performance, but really shine in USB DAC mode.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #1,248 of 1,776
I got used to having a wired setup in the office with the Stellia, so it won’t be a huge leap to use DAC mode while connected direct to my MBP.

One thing I didn’t check when I tried the Bathys was the clamp force with my glasses on (which I definitely wear when in front of my Mac).

I always found the Stellia to be a little uncomfortable once my thick frames were on. Hoping the Bathys will be less of an issue in this regard.

I also considered the Radiance for this office setup, as it too has a great price here in AU right now, but it’s not an AIO solution like the Bathys.

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,249 of 1,776
I got used to having a wired setup in the office with the Stellia, so it won’t be a huge leap to use DAC mode while connected direct to my MBP.

One thing I didn’t check when I tried the Bathys was the clamp force with my glasses on (which I definitely wear when in front of my Mac).

I always found the Stellia to be a little uncomfortable once my thick frames were on. Hoping the Bathys will be less of an issue in this regard.

I also considered the Radiance for this office setup, as it too has a great price here in AU right now, but it’s not an AIO solution like the Bathys.
Bathys earcups are a bit small. I also didn’t find DAC mode that much different. Did you look at Aeon Noire and something like iFi Gryphon?

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #1,250 of 1,776
No I didn’t consider anything else.

If I’m being honest, the Bathys purchase was on impulse with the A2A sale in AU, as I was also grabbing the Utopia and Naim. Watched a couple reviews and all seemed positive so they felt like a worthy upgrade to the AirPods Max for the office. It’ll also mean I don’t need to carry the AirPods Max to work (I use them at home for the ATV4K). The Bathys will remain in the office.

Small earcups felt fine when I tried the Bathys in store. The fit actually reminded me of older QC 35 Sennheisers that I had 5+ years ago.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #1,251 of 1,776
No I didn’t consider anything else.

If I’m being honest, the Bathys purchase was on impulse with the A2A sale in AU, as I was also grabbing the Utopia and Naim. Watched a couple reviews and all seemed positive so they felt like a worthy upgrade to the AirPods Max for the office. It’ll also mean I don’t need to carry the AirPods Max to work (I use them at home for the ATV4K). The Bathys will remain in the office.

Small earcups felt like when I tried the Bathys in store. The fit actually reminded me of older QC 35 Sennheisers that I had 5+ years ago.
You’ll figure it out. 😁

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #1,252 of 1,776

As a glasses wearer with a medium sized noggin, I can attest that there are no hot spots or other comfort issues.

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #1,253 of 1,776
Thanks for confirming.

Keen for my pair to arrive in a few days.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #1,254 of 1,776
Let me know how you find the Bathys. Coming from the Utopia and Stellia you may find it lacking.

I haven't spent all that much time with it. Doesn't quite have the drive, tempo or dynamics of the Utopia. I am slightly underwhelmed. Then again, you can't really drive the Bathys out of a dedicated headphone amp. Tuning is pleasant enough on the neutral side. Doesn't have the complex detail retrieval and reproduction when it gets busy.

I'm underwhelmed. But then I just spent 3 hours listening to the Utopia and switched to the Bathys because my Hugo2 battery was running flat. The Bathys DAC isn't a fair comparison.

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #1,255 of 1,776
Let me know how you find the Bathys. Coming from the Utopia and Stellia you may find it lacking.

I haven't spent all that much time with it. Doesn't quite have the drive, tempo or dynamics of the Utopia. I am slightly underwhelmed. Then again, you can't really drive the Bathys out of a dedicated headphone amp. Tuning is pleasant enough on the neutral side. Doesn't have the complex detail retrieval and reproduction when it gets busy.

I'm underwhelmed. But then I just spent 3 hours listening to the Utopia and switched to the Bathys because my Hugo2 battery was running flat. The Bathys DAC isn't a fair comparison.
You can’t expect it to be close. There’s no ANC headset that can atm.

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,256 of 1,776

Are you comparing the Bathys to the Utopia and Stellia? Seems to be unrealistic. As the old expression goes “different horses for different courses.”

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,258 of 1,776
Stellia was major overkill in the office with Hugo 2, which is why I sold it off. The office was not the place for critical listening. I didn’t specifically need a closed back for home either so it went.

The office needs to be more of a laid back listen while I’m working on emails or reports. Background noise if you will (and not the crap they blast over the office Sonos!). So I’m expecting Bathys to fit the bill.

As mentioned earlier, I did also consider Radiance but it didn’t give the ANC function and it still required a DAC of some description.

I understand the Radiance and Bathys to have some similarities in tonality, which is why I felt either could do the job I needed.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #1,259 of 1,776
Stellia was major overkill in the office with Hugo 2, which is why I sold it off. The office was not the place for critical listening. I didn’t specifically need a closed back for home either so it went.

The office needs to be more of a laid back listen while I’m working on emails or reports. Background noise if you will (and not the crap they blast over the office Sonos!). So I’m expecting Bathys to fit the bill.

As mentioned earlier, I did also consider Radiance but it didn’t give the ANC function and it still required a DAC of some description.

I understand the Radiance and Bathys to have some similarities in tonality, which is why I felt either could do the job I needed.
For some reason I find Focals poor for background listening, they seem to demand attention from me because of the timbre, Utopia especially and Stellia. I think smoother, softer listens work better for background sound personally, and indeed Bathys is an easier listen than the other focals in that sense.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #1,260 of 1,776
Are you comparing the Bathys to the Utopia and Stellia? Seems to be unrealistic. As the old expression goes “different horses for different courses.”
I was looking at ElisiX’s headphone list as the comparison. From comfort to sound. I’ve been around long enough to know it’s nowhere near fair.

Sound quality on the Bathys wasn’t actually that bad. And the tuning whilst not perfect, rather acceptable. It’s not as warm as Utopia 22 which surprisingly for Focal works rather well for a relaxed listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back