FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Apr 13, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #691 of 876
When I looked in the guts at Mentor and M-Field i couldnt see paying the same price as Mentor is an obviously pricier layout fwtw.
That said if you think the MField is the one for you than I would suggest getting it when it releases bc it will have a discount at first.
I was on the same boat when I picked Mentor. Plus for he1000se the Mentor seems to be better fit, due to larger soundstage.
On the other hand, yes M-field has one but bigger transformer and less but bigger capacitors, all those decisions shall lead to "more intimate" character of M-field (or better say, closer to your head). I think Flux Labs know what they are doing and for what reason.

Just the fact Flux is willing to make the effort and give us two very comparable products, just with somehow different sound signature, and at the same price, is pretty amazing. They must know people will question them based on the internals and they still go for it.

It is still class-A dual mono headamp for less than 1200 Eur. Given the fact for example Ichos compared the Mentor to Violectric V550 Pro (3200 Eur), I suppose one will get great value for money either way.

..if only I could walk into a store and compare them side by side. Or maybe there will be somebody with M-field close enough one day :wink:.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #692 of 876
Just got this email response from the Flux Team:

“Let's try to briefly describe the difference between these two models. We made great efforts to not lose detail in the M-field model compared to the Mentor. Although it stands to reason that the Mentor will be the most detailed amplifier with the largest soundstage of all. At the same time, the Mentor's bass is not as weighty as that of the M-field, but it has a more complex structure, which is unattainable by most amplifiers on the market. On the other hand, the M-field has a stunningly soulful and intimate midrange that only the best tube headphone amplifiers can deliver. At the same time, the bass of the M-field is delivered a little softer and more weighty.
As a result, we got two completely different sound settings. Mentor has the most uncolored, accurate, fast and detailed sound. And M-field is a more intimate, enveloping, weighty and warm sound.
In terms of wattage, these are absolutely comparable amps. And both models allow you to create a stack of two devices.

Best regards, Flux Lab team”

That being said, the Mentor is the one for me. For warm & weighty, I have my Woo WA22. I’m after detail and analytic listening. If I need more low end, I’ll use EQ.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #693 of 876
On the other hand, the M-field has a stunningly soulful and intimate midrange that only the best tube headphone amplifiers can deliver. At the same time, the bass of the M-field is delivered a little softer and more weighty.
Interesting how they evolve the description and comparison wording over time :), I didn't get such velvetly upgraded description before :). I like it.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #694 of 876
I was on the same boat when I picked Mentor. Plus for he1000se the Mentor seems to be better fit, due to larger soundstage.
On the other hand, yes M-field has one but bigger transformer and less but bigger capacitors, all those decisions shall lead to "more intimate" character of M-field (or better say, closer to your head). I think Flux Labs know what they are doing and for what reason.

Just the fact Flux is willing to make the effort and give us two very comparable products, just with somehow different sound signature, and at the same price, is pretty amazing. They must know people will question them based on the internals and they still go for it.

It is still class-A dual mono headamp for less than 1200 Eur. Given the fact for example Ichos compared the Mentor to Violectric V550 Pro (3200 Eur), I suppose one will get great value for money either way.

..if only I could walk into a store and compare them side by side. Or maybe there will be somebody with M-field close enough one day :wink:.
I saw that one of the Mentor users on the FB Flux page left a review that Mentor even surpassed his V550Pro

"I have my new Mentor burned-in at 150 hrs and it just sounds sublime. Outstages my V550 Pro and is more natural in tone. I’ve owned so many SS and tube HPs and I feel this outclasses even Feliks AE. Great work in such difficult circumstance - thank you!"

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #695 of 876
From the M-Field thread:
"The M-Field is not just a stripped down version of the Mentor. This is a whole new amplifier with a different tuning and sound signature. This is made to be a high-end, solid state alternative to a tube amplifier.
The circuit inside might look simpler but it is not. The M-Field features the same high quality parts as the Mentor. The toroidal transformer is only one but it is bigger, with a very complex design and is more expensive to manufacture than the transformer of the Mentor. Additionally the power supply is of the same quality as the Mentor."
Interesting.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #696 of 876

Oh absolutely I concur on that. Super impressive.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #697 of 876
I saw that one of the Mentor users on the FB Flux page left a review that Mentor even surpassed his V550Pro

"I have my new Mentor burned-in at 150 hrs and it just sounds sublime. Outstages my V550 Pro and is more natural in tone. I’ve owned so many SS and tube HPs and I feel this outclasses even Feliks AE. Great work in such difficult circumstance - thank you!"
Thats really high praise.

I think that we all should buy based on that description provided from Flux and then be satisfied with that purchase bc they are both amazing amps.

For me I like a little less intimate , wide-staged presentation, and I also like a clean sounding , fast response for the music I listen too.

If you are more into smooth, mellow, slower, soulful music than the M-Field is going to be a boss.
Tubelike sound but with massively more power on tap.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #698 of 876
If you are more into smooth, mellow, slower, soulful music than the M-Field is going to be a boss.
Tubelike sound but with massively more power on tap.
Right. Except I’m into that quite often and no compliants even with Mentor :D. There is some kind of no-offense natural authority coming from Mentor making you reassured you made the right decision no mather what is coming out.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #699 of 876
Right. Except I’m into that quite often and no compliants even with Mentor :D. There is some kind of no-offense natural authority coming from Mentor making you reassured you made the right decision no mather what is coming out.
I HATE being told "lies" and that even extends to my music lol. I'm with ya- Just give me the goods without changing it.

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #700 of 876
As for the Mentor vs M-field, forgot to mention one thing I got from Flux team when discussing those: M-field might be more forgiving towards DAC (can mask its faults better with its own flavour). Mentor on the other hand will show any shortcomings from DAC but is more acceptable towards headphones (will let them sing at their uncolored best).

So maybe the choice might be also depended on how strong you feel on DAC/headphone side.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #701 of 876
As for the Mentor vs M-field, forgot to mention one thing I got from Flux team when discussing those: M-field might be more forgiving towards DAC (can mask its faults better with its own flavour). Mentor on the other hand will show any shortcomings from DAC but is more acceptable towards headphones (will let them sing at their uncolored best).

So maybe the choice might be also depended on how strong you feel on DAC/headphone side.
My explain the rave reviews from us Yggdrasil owners.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #702 of 876
I HATE being told "lies" and that even extends to my music lol. I'm with ya- Just give me the goods without changing it.
Sorry, but I do like to be told sweet little lies when I listen to music.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #703 of 876
I just got the NorneAudio hybrid cables: Vygarde 2 - 18.9awg per polarity w/ 21.8awg as silver occ litz. My Susvara has a stronger body to the sound and bass with the Mentor stack. Thanks Slackaveli for the recommendation. :gs1000smile:

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #705 of 876
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back