FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #676 of 861
I know this was already mentioned few times. Strangely, when I was discussing with Flux the preamping possibilities, they were about to strain me away from that idea. Like they would not recommend preamping Mentor, rather they suggested to use Mentor as the preamp (with that steps I described above). But of course it's not an axiom to hold on. Experimenting is allowed anytime :).
I just like to make use of the Mentor’s black background. Not sure how they got it to be so quiet but they basically filter out all the noise from the upstream chain. That means grainy tube amps are great and even weaker DACs are good too.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #677 of 861
You owners are a passionate bunch. I can tell just by reading your posts on this amp. I'm watching Soundnews (one of my favorite reviewers) give this amp his highest recommendation. Impressed at how strongly he says it drives Susvara (which I do not own), so I'm quite confident it will be a match for Abyss 1266. Maybe I should put this one at the top of my SS want list?

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #678 of 861
I’ve emailed Flux, but no response after several days. Not sure what to make of it. Hope they are safe.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #679 of 861
I’ve emailed Flux, but no response after several days. Not sure what to make of it. Hope they are safe.
They are usually very responsive (within a day at worst), but now everything is possible. The situation got much worse last days I believe (not enough support with weapons supplies).

Just try to bump the email conversaion, hopefully they just overlooked and otherwise they are fine as usual (or as they could be given the facts).

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #682 of 861
Perhaps their answers end up in your spam. I had a similar situation. Then I found three replies from them) Another workable solution was to contact them via Facebook
Yes! I did not think of this, but read your message and checked my junk folder. There was the response! I look forward to following up with them on a potential purchase.

Please let me know if you guys agree with my assessment (purely based on research, reading, YouTube):

Flux > Oor/Hyspsos > GS-X Mini

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #683 of 861
Yes! I did not think of this, but read your message and checked my junk folder. There was the response! I look forward to following up with them on a potential purchase.

Please let me know if you guys agree with my assessment (purely based on research, reading, YouTube):

Flux > Oor/Hyspsos > GS-X Mini
word.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #684 of 861
M-field vs Mentor, asked FLUX via email specifically for HD800

"The Mentor sounds excellent with the HD800, but in our opinion, these headphones reveal better where the low frequencies are fuller and the timbre is smoother. It is also important that the mid frequencies are a little more accentuated, this will add emotion. The HD800 simply sounds great with our new M-Field model. The synergy between this model and the HD800 is definitely superior in our opinion. The model should be on sale soon, and there will be a small discount at the beginning of sales. The cost of the amplifier is similar to Mentor."

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #685 of 861
Considering they just sent me a replacement Flux Mentor just last week, they should be OK. They are revamping production and ask for 3 weeks before orders open. So it’s now end of week 2? Still another week or so before you can order I think.

I don’t know how the M-Field model sounds, but everyone has their own budget and tastes. It’s good to try new stuff and compare. If people who have the M-Field can give their impression that’ll be great.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #686 of 861
I didn’t even know the M-Field existed. Same output wattage?

Since I use EQ, curious if I should stick with my plan to buy the Mentor or consider the M-Field. My primary headphone would be Abyss 1266, but I frequently use my HD800S.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #687 of 861
When I looked in the guts at Mentor and M-Field i couldnt see paying the same price as Mentor is an obviously pricier layout fwtw.
That said if you think the MField is the one for you than I would suggest getting it when it releases bc it will have a discount at first.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #688 of 861
When I looked in the guts at Mentor and M-Field i couldnt see paying the same price as Mentor is an obviously pricier layout fwtw.
That said if you think the MField is the one for you than I would suggest getting it when it releases bc it will have a discount at first.
From the M-Field thread:
"The M-Field is not just a stripped down version of the Mentor. This is a whole new amplifier with a different tuning and sound signature. This is made to be a high-end, solid state alternative to a tube amplifier.
The circuit inside might look simpler but it is not. The M-Field features the same high quality parts as the Mentor. The toroidal transformer is only one but it is bigger, with a very complex design and is more expensive to manufacture than the transformer of the Mentor. Additionally the power supply is of the same quality as the Mentor."

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #690 of 861
From the M-Field thread:
"The M-Field is not just a stripped down version of the Mentor. This is a whole new amplifier with a different tuning and sound signature. This is made to be a high-end, solid state alternative to a tube amplifier.
The circuit inside might look simpler but it is not. The M-Field features the same high quality parts as the Mentor. The toroidal transformer is only one but it is bigger, with a very complex design and is more expensive to manufacture than the transformer of the Mentor. Additionally the power supply is of the same quality as the Mentor."
Sounds like the M-Field and 1266TC pairing is a match made in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back