FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #706 of 861
I just got the NorneAudio hybrid cables: Vygarde 2 - 18.9awg per polarity w/ 21.8awg as silver occ litz. My Susvara has a stronger body to the sound and bass with the Mentor stack. Thanks Slackaveli for the recommendation. :gs1000smile:
I'm also in the talks with Norne about new cable (and also thanks to Slackaveli). But leaning more towards some version of pure copper for my hekse, seems to be safier choice. Although Trevor does his best to convert me to some kind of Silvergarde :). Will see, it's a process.

But good to see those cables make a difference with Mentor. I'm still quite non-believer in this regard. I do it mainly for aestetics at the moment at least.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #707 of 861
I'm also in the talks with Norne about new cable (and also thanks to Slackaveli). But leaning more towards some version of pure copper for my hekse, seems to be safier choice. Although Trevor does his best to convert me to some kind of Silvergarde :). Will see, it's a process.

But good to see those cables make a difference with Mentor. I'm still quite non-believer in this regard. I do it mainly for aestetics at the moment at least.
Best judge is your own ears.

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #708 of 861
Deleted*

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #709 of 861
A bit of a specific/long shot question and not sure if you guys may know:

As I'm considering the Flux Mentor when they are available again very soon, I'm curious if I can expect more low-end push or wider frequency response when compared to my very good Woo Audio WA22 (tube amp ~ 2 watts)? The reason I ask is because I did an A/B with another Head-Fi member with his solid state amp (Wells Audio Milo) and felt that the bigger wattage of the solid state amp gave my Abyss 1266 a bit more punch in the bass and sub-bass. Curious if I can expect the same with the Mentor and curious if has more to give than my WA22?

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #710 of 861

As I'm considering the Flux Mentor when they are available again very soon, I'm curious if I can expect more low-end push or wider frequency response when compared to my very good Woo Audio WA22 (tube amp ~ 2 watts)? The reason I ask is because I did an A/B with another Head-Fi member with his solid state amp (Wells Audio Milo) and felt that the bigger wattage of the solid state amp gave my Abyss 1266 a bit more punch in the bass and sub-bass. Curious if I can expect the same with the Mentor and curious if has more to give than my WA22?
Yes, the wattage and punch is real. The punch (authority) of the sound is indeed good on the Mentor.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #711 of 861

I love seeing you guys get your Nornes!

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #712 of 861

I would think so. I just cant imagine someone being unhappy with it and it's sounds; it's so pleasing to the ear and powerful af.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #713 of 861
Yes, the wattage and punch is real. The punch (authority) of the sound is indeed good on the Mentor.
I would think so. I just cant imagine someone being unhappy with it and it's sounds; it's so pleasing to the ear and powerful af.
OK, I'm in. This amp sounds like everything I'm looking for and then some. My brief correspondence with the Flux Lab Team has been really positive too. I'll be on standby, awaiting the next batch to be up for sale.

I love seeing you guys get your Nornes!
Funny that I stumble across Norne-related content here, as I really want to get a Norne cable to replace my Abyss 1266 stock cable (stiff and unwieldy). I love the look of the clear copper Drausk, but I don't see them on the site any more. Not even sure what they cost, but on looks alone, they seem perfect.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #714 of 861
OK, I'm in. This amp sounds like everything I'm looking for and then some. My brief correspondence with the Flux Lab Team has been really positive too. I'll be on standby, awaiting the next batch to be up for sale.

Funny that I stumble across Norne-related content here, as I really want to get a Norne cable to replace my Abyss 1266 stock cable (stiff and unwieldy). I love the look of the clear copper Drausk, but I don't see them on the site any more. Not even sure what they cost, but on looks alone, they seem perfect.
You will need to get into mail conversation, and only then you will be even more confused :D. Many options even not listed on sites. Seems like they are sold faster than they manage to be officially announced.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #715 of 861

Cant recommend Mentor or Norne enough. Trevor is a great dude and makes amazing cables.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #716 of 861
Mentor on Abyss 1266 will be Nirvana !

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #717 of 861
I have the MJ3. The mentor is indeed an upgrade from that. Not sure about the violectric but based on reviews of people using it with Susvara, it’s no where close to the Flux Mentor. That assessment includes up to the Violectric V281.
Can someone tell me if the V281 reissue or flux mentor will be a better amp overall for the OG Meze empy?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #718 of 861
Can someone tell me if the V281 reissue or flux mentor will be a better amp overall for the OG Meze empy?
Soundnews did a lot of his glowing review of the Mentor with Elites, which is one reason I'm so interested. I had Empys before I had elites and I see no reason why the Mentor+Empys wouldn't catch the same vibes.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #719 of 861
Honestly i cant think of a headphone Ive ever heard that wouldnt be awesome on the Mentor. I guess some of the older designs like Sennheisers might be better on a really powerful tube amp but even those sound great on Mentor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back