Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
Feb 24, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #841 of 996
I was asked to notify for now that, all is fine for now (Everyone is safe), production will continue, albeit with some delays... They did get out of there of course, for now.

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #842 of 996
I was asked to notify for now that, all is fine for now (Everyone is safe), production will continue, albeit with some delays... They did get out of there of course, for now.
That's great news that they're safe. Production is what production is.

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #844 of 996
Hi, I have a incoming Volot, and I'm assuming my DAC M2 Tech Young Mkiv is grounded to chasis (not sure though??) I should have the ground switch turned off while the amp is running correct?

Also, I assume I should always have a headphone connected to give it a load while unattended? Warm up etc? I guess that is true for any amp for the most part? Thanks in advance :)

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #845 of 996
Hi, I have a incoming Volot, and I'm assuming my DAC M2 Tech Young Mkiv is grounded to chasis (not sure though??) I should have the ground switch turned off while the amp is running correct?

Also, I assume I should always have a headphone connected to give it a load while unattended? Warm up etc? I guess that is true for any amp for the most part? Thanks in advance :)
You should try both ground positions with the Volot. For me I run it in the "on" state. In the "off" state I was getting a hum through the headphones that would go away when I touched the Volot chassis. I think I wasn't grounded myself and this happened in the winter when it's very dry. Trying the different ground switch positions shouldn't cause any harm, it's just about what makes sense in your system. But only change the ground switch when the amp is off.

It's recommended to connect a headphone while the Volot is running. I just leave a headphone connected to the output and turn the amp on and off while the headphone is connected. It doesn't cause any noise or click or anything in the headphone when the amp goes on and off. I do disconnect the headphone when the amp is on if I want to try another headphone. This hasn't caused problems either and I believe the protection circuit by the output prevents any issues here. But I only have a headphone unplugged for 10 seconds or so.

In general it's probably best to ask the manufacturer about whether or not you can leave it on without a load attached. For example, the Formula S I can leave on forever without a headphone attached and it works fine and the manufacturer has agreed with this. In doing research on nicer headphone amps it seems in the higher end the amps are a bit more delicate and it's best to leave a headphone attached all the time. But again it really depends on the amp and how it was designed to be used. To be safe I would just leave a headphone connected.

Edit: Don't think I answered your main question, oops. Since your dac is grounded, it should be fine to run the ground switch in the off position, but try both and see if one sounds better or has less noise than the other.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #846 of 996
Just wanted to share with you what FLA had posted on their FB page.
I hope this nightmare ends soon.:cry:

1646086880011.png

Mar 1, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #847 of 996
Maybe some can help my ignorance. My Kinki Studio Thr-1 is a beast but not quite Volot strength. (K- Approx 3.8wpc vs V- Approx 8wpc) With no gain, on Thr-1 and I'm living with alot of headroom left. Yet I hear some running their Susvara on high gain, with Volot, would not Volot rock Susvara with no gain? Since gain isn't power, the Volot should be just fine on low gain, shouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something.. (highly possible 😆

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #848 of 996
Maybe some can help my ignorance. My Kinki Studio Thr-1 is a beast but not quite Volot strength. (K- Approx 3.8wpc vs V- Approx 8wpc) With no gain, on Thr-1 and I'm living with alot of headroom left. Yet I hear some running their Susvara on high gain, with Volot, would not Volot rock Susvara with no gain? Since gain isn't power, the Volot should be just fine on low gain, shouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something.. (highly possible 😆
Depends on the amp. Sometimes gain on an amp has different meaning than just voltage gain. As a general guidance, use the lowest gain you need to reach the volume level you desire.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #849 of 996
Depends on the amp. Sometimes gain on an amp has different meaning than just voltage gain. As a general guidance, use the lowest gain you need to reach the volume level you desire.

I was also wondering about the ground switch, my DAc is a M2 Tech Young Mkiv fed DC by a VGMkII power supply which is fed obviously by ac, is "chasis ground" the same as simply a three prong ac connection or is that a ground wire on the inside of the literal "chasis"? My plan is to run it on and unless I hear a ground loop, I'll just leave that way.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #850 of 996
I was also wondering about the ground switch, my DAc is a M2 Tech Young Mkiv fed DC by a VGMkII power supply which is fed obviously by ac, is "chasis ground" the same as simply a three prong ac connection or is that a ground wire on the inside of the literal "chasis"? My plan is to run it on and unless I hear a ground loop, I'll just leave that way.
It's a wire screwed into the chassis. You can see it here if you zoom in a bit (between the transformer and the edge of a case there is a wire with a screw at the end attached to the bottom of the chassis).
1646191764735.png

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #852 of 996
You should try both ground positions with the Volot. For me I run it in the "on" state. In the "off" state I was getting a hum through the headphones that would go away when I touched the Volot chassis. I think I wasn't grounded myself and this happened in the winter when it's very dry. Trying the different ground switch positions shouldn't cause any harm, it's just about what makes sense in your system. But only change the ground switch when the amp is off.

It's recommended to connect a headphone while the Volot is running. I just leave a headphone connected to the output and turn the amp on and off while the headphone is connected. It doesn't cause any noise or click or anything in the headphone when the amp goes on and off. I do disconnect the headphone when the amp is on if I want to try another headphone. This hasn't caused problems either and I believe the protection circuit by the output prevents any issues here. But I only have a headphone unplugged for 10 seconds or so.

In general it's probably best to ask the manufacturer about whether or not you can leave it on without a load attached. For example, the Formula S I can leave on forever without a headphone attached and it works fine and the manufacturer has agreed with this. In doing research on nicer headphone amps it seems in the higher end the amps are a bit more delicate and it's best to leave a headphone attached all the time. But again it really depends on the amp and how it was designed to be used. To be safe I would just leave a headphone connected.

Edit: Don't think I answered your main question, oops. Since your dac is grounded, it should be fine to run the ground switch in the off position, but try both and see if one sounds better or has less noise than the other.
For volot, is it better to plug in headphones first when powering up? :thinking:

When I turn off volot, I do it with headphones connected.

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #853 of 996
For volot, is it better to plug in headphones first when powering up? :thinking:

I've done both. Most recently I've been turning on the amp with headphones connected. Before that I was turning on the amp then plugging in my headphones once it had gone through all of its clicks and the lights on the front were illuminated. Both work fine

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #854 of 996

I never disconnect the headphones from the Volot before pushing the power button. Never heard any pops or clicks coming through the headphones – this is a well-engineered amp.

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #855 of 996
I never disconnect the headphones from the Volot before pushing the power button. Never heard any pops or clicks coming through the headphones – this is a well-engineered amp.

So perhaps early reports of what was termed "death pop" ( i.e turning amp off with cans attached, before turning off source) was corrected in following releases

Users who are viewing this thread

Back