Florida Headphone Addicts
May 5, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #61 of 242
Guru, think "amp light, headphone heavy" and repeat that several times.

If I were to bring the Angstrom Two Box, I couldn't bring anything else because that would exhaust my 2 carry on pieces. To ship it here was about $250, so that won't happen either since I'd need to ship it back again which would double the cost. The Egmont Signature should be Ok.

Chances are at least 50:50 that I'll be going to the meet in California the week before this one and then flying into Orlando from there, which means I'll have to pack that much lighter so I can have room for some clothes! I'll do what I can, but it won't be like last time with the huge 75 pound boxes.

May 5, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #62 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
If I were to bring the Angstrom Two Box, I couldn't bring anything else because that would exhaust my 2 carry on pieces. To ship it here was about $250, so that won't happen either since I'd need to ship it back again which would double the cost. The Egmont Signature should be Ok.

At the risk of sounding stupid : Isnt it possible to check in one of the amplifiers after packing it sufficiently?

I think your biggest contributions would be the following :-

1] Egmont Signature
2] Angstrom Two Box
3] Grado PS-1

Everything else is available here : Omega-2, R10, Leatherheads, HD-650, K1000

So the Amp Light / Headphone Heavy doesnt really apply in this case. Of course - if you are the sole supplier of gear to the SoCal meet
very_evil_smiley.gif
then you might want to bring all this additional gear...

If there is anything I can do to help - lemme know.

I think you can leave the Egmont Signature behind because it is for electrostatic headphones and we dont have too many of those...besides the KGSS and OMEGA-2 (Matt - if he decides to tag along) will be available.

But it is your decision...do what you think is best. I feel mikeg and Gene will benefit with the Angstrom Two Box for their Sony R-10's - just as a contrast with the Maestro and SDS.

Gah!
confused.gif

May 5, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #63 of 242
sewerguy (Bill) :-
------------------

Sewerguy: PPA amp.
JLH Chiara amp.
Project X amp. ( a new class A amp the designer wants user feed
back on.)
Senn. HD 600 w Cardas cable.
Senn. HD 280 modified.
Denon DCP 50, PCDP.
RCA 5disc CD changer.
Possibly a second new class A amp. design.

ScrewDriver :-
--------------
naim cd 3.5 cd player
mpx3 old chassis with vt231's
sennheiser cardas/hd600 or zu/hd650
a few different interconnects

Raul saavedra (rsaavedr) :-
--------------------------

HD650+Zu
SR60
Self-modded Toshiba 3950
Sacdmodded NS500V
*REMOVED* Larocco PPA *REMOVED*
PS Audio Ultimate Outlet

Gene :-
-------

MDR R10
ATH L3000

Ray Samuel's Stealth
Grace 901 (Raul will be bringing this)
Headroom MAX (gsferrari will be bringing this)
Maestro-ZR (if Mikhail can build in time for meet)

Meridian 588
LapTop + Xitel HiFi Link Pro

Monster HTS 2500 Power Center
Misc IC's and PC's

mikeg :-
-------

RA-1 amp
RS-1 headphone
K1000 headphone
MDR-F1 headphone
HD650 headphone
ER-4P/S headphone
ASL AQ-1005DT power amp. w/two kinds of 300B tubes
ASL T2 Passive Preamp
ASL UHC-Signature Headphone Converter
Fixup's Super Mini Headphone amp
Marantz SA8260 SACD Player
SlimX iMP-350 player
DiMarzio M-Path Interconnects
Stefan AudioArt K1000 cable
ZU Mobius cable
ASL WAV-8 Monoblocks
Creek volume control

Guru (gsferrari) :-
--------------------

*NEW UPDATE* Ray Samuels Emmeline SR-71 !!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Headroom Max with Stepped Attenuators (Courtesy Gene)
Rudistor RP5 (Should be in the "mine" category soon but as of now - courtesy Gene )
*REMOVED* Woo Audio Headphone Amplifier *REMOVED*
Singlepower PPX3 (Thank you Mikhail)
Headroom Blockhead (Courtesy Ivy@headroom)
Headroom Total Bithead (courtesy Ivy@headroom)
Sennheiser HD-650
*NEW* Sennheiser HD-555 (courtesy andres at headroom - for comparison with the sennheiser HD-595 that belong to matthew)
Glassman made replacement HD-650 cable
Balanced HD-650/600/580 cable (Courtesy Ivy@Headroom)
Grado SR-60
*NEW* Grado RS-1 with balanced cables!! (Courtesy Andrew Hertsens - Headroom)
AKG K-1000
Edwood's Signature K-1000 XLR -> 1/4" cable
Sony DVP-NS500V
Toshiba SD-3960 (only if I still have it at that point of time)
Rio Karma 20GB
Modified CMOY
Monster Power Conditioner - not sure which model
Monster Power Conditioning Strip
Sager NP-8790 Notebook Computer + Xitel HiFi link
Plenty of music and binaural recordings

Wayne :-
---------
Egmont Signature
Ultrasone Edition 7
Shanling T200

raaj :-
------

Source: Creative NJB3 40 GB with wired FM remote

IC: KImber Kable 12" mini-to-mini

Amps:
1. Xin Supermini v6.2c with crossfeed and the whole shebang
2. Headsave Ultra Meta42 with specs mentioned here
3. Gilmore Lite

Headphones:
1. Grado SR-325 with bowl and flat pads
2. Ety ER-4S
3. Audio Technica ATH-EM7 clip-ons (if still available)

Matthew (NightWoundsTime) :-
-----------------------------

Sony DVP-NC685V SACD player (2 outputs)
Sennheiser HD-595
Senn HD-600 w/ Cardas
PPA
Bear Labs Silver Lightning IC's
Lots of SACD's

tyrion (if he makes the meet):-
-----------------------------

HD-650/Equinox
NAD 541i and/or NAD521i
LaRocco PR
Eddie Current HD300 (it's delayed but should be here by then)
Griffin Powerwave
ipod 3g and ipod mini
Bolder IC
Fiddler IC
Fiddler RCA to mini

May 5, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #64 of 242
Guru, what a great list of equipment!

I'll definitely be bringing the Egmont Signature because Doug (SIE) and some other folks want to hear it in California to compare it to his KGSS. I'll check this in along with my suitcase. BTW, this is the amp that made Nik sell his R10's and the Angstrom Two Box, so it should be a lot of fun to listen to. It has been up in Florida for what seems like an eternity and I'm finally going to pick it up this weekend. In the suitcase with my clothes, I may be able to squeeze in the Shanling T200, but not in it's original box.

The Angstrom is just too big and heavy to be transporting via commercial air flights to California and back. The power supply is 65 pounds outside of its box and has 18 tubes, so figuring out how to get it protected and still be under 70 pounds has me totally confounded. The amp is another 50 pounds and is a seperate box. I'm going to try to get this thing to New York for the meet up there in a couple of weeks, but I'm still not sure how I'll be able to do it safely. It's just bad logistics living here in Cayman. I'll have to host a meet one day soon!

The Ultrasone Edition 7 should be a nice treat to add to the list.

May 5, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #65 of 242
I still havent received the email addresses of a few of the participants.

Here are some of the points in the word document I mailed out to those who did give me their email ID's.

HeadFi Meet : 26th June 2004
Information Acquisition Form

NAME :

ADDRESS :

PHONE :

MOBILE :

EMAIL :

•EQUIPMENT THAT YOU WILL BE BRINGING TO THE MEET :

•DO YOU HAVE ANY EQUIPMENT ON YOUR LISTENING PRIORITY? (LIST OF ALL EQUIPMENT WILL BE COMPILED AND POSTED ON THE THREAD VERY SOON) :

•SPECIAL POWER/SPACE REQUIREMENTS :

•INTENDED MODE OF TRANSPORTATION :

•DO YOU REQUIRE ANY HELP WITH TRANSPORTATION :

•WHAT TIME CAN WE EXPECT TO RECEIVE YOU:

•WILL YOU REQUIRE ACCOMODATION? IF “YES” THEN DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL
REQUIREMENTS :

•SPECIAL FOOD REQUIREMENTS :

•DO YOU INTEND TO BRING/CONSUME ALCOHOL:

•DO YOU INTEND TO BRING ANY FOOD/BEVERAGE :

•WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING MANUFACTURER PRODUCTS AT A DISCOUNT? PLEASE MAKE A NOTE ON THIS FORM ON WHICH PRODUCT FROM WHICH MANUFACTURER YOU ARE INTERESTED IN (WE ARE IN TALKS WITH VARIOUS MANUFACTURERS FOR DISCOUNTS ON THEIR PRODUCTS – DEMO MODELS WILL BE AT THE MEET – MORE DETAILS ON THIS SOON…)

Please take your time to fill out this form. You may email them back to me anytime before the 1st of June. That should give Bill and the other organizers plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements. We hope to have a sizeable guest list for this meet and we have plenty of high end equipment coming our way so if you feel you don’t have anything to offer – stop thinking like that and join in the fun. We don’t meet as often as we would like to and this is a great opportunity to sample the equipment you normally read about and drool about on the HeadFi forums.

Feel free to add any extra categories to this form as applicable to your situation/case/circumstances.

!! THANK YOU !!

May 5, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #66 of 242
I might be in Florida at the time indicated in the first post of this thread. Since I sold my headphone system, I don't have much to show. Nevertheless, I'd like to go. I'll let you know how my early summer shapes up.

NGF

May 5, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #67 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
DMaxwell: you are certainly welcome to join in the fun - come on over. Bill's club room can accomodate 20, but we have plenty of room at present.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
You sound exactly like me in December 2003 when I went for my first meet. This will be the third meet I am going to and let me tell you something - NO NEED TO BE ASHAMED ABOUT ANYTHING.

New faces are always welcome as most of us know each other very well. Besides - your virgin ears will be ready for us to torture with some of the best equipment available in the world today!!
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks guys! I'm really excited about it now too!

Quote:

You have to hide your wallet behind a few metal doors with heavy locks before you hit the meet though...I swear...by the time you are done with the meet and the gear - you will be reduced to hopeless pulp searching for the remains of your dessicated wallet...
rolleyes.gif

LOL
icon10.gif
That sounds like a lot of fun actually!
very_evil_smiley.gif

- Daniel

(And I just sent my email address Guru!)

May 6, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #69 of 242
Hmm. 7-8 hours of driving... Good little ways.
But man I would really love to hear some high end stuff.
I'll have to give it some thought. And check the schedule.

May 6, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #70 of 242
Ph34rful - it will be great if you can make it to the meet.

Is anyone else going through the list of equipment and thinking "Holy Moly!!
eek.gif
We need more than a day to go through all that stuff??
eek.gif
" ??

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #71 of 242
Quote:

eek.gif
eek.gif
" ??

This is always a problem at meets. Listener fatigue is the limiting factor more so than the amount of time. It's good that Bill has suggested that we start at 11am. This will allow for a full day. I'm assuming that we can stay for as long as we wish, but this should be clarified. (Maybe it has been but I've missed it?) I wouldn't be surprised if a few folks stayed until 7 or 8pm, but without a break in there somewhere your mind can only absorb so much.

May 6, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #72 of 242
Quote:

Ph34rful - it will be great if you can make it to the meet.

eek.gif
eek.gif
" ??

very_evil_smiley.gif

Since this would be my very first head-fi meet-up, I am wondering how much quality ear-time can one reasonably expect to get, what with all the uber equipment and all the other eager-ears floating around??

I can already picture myself holding up the lines..
rs1smile.gif

The gear I am most eager to hear are the electrostat setups, the fully modded Senn 6x0s, high end Grados, the Sony R10, CD3Ks.. and of course the Ray Samuels SR-71 'Blackbird' (very eager to see what all the hoopla's about, with this one) and the Xin Superdual (one of these two would be my next portable amp).

Hey, maybe I missed it, but are the Alessandros missing from the list??

Guru, can you talk to Alessandro Products to send us demo cans of their line-up. I would like to hear how similar/different they sound from the Grado lineup.

Oh, can't wait for one more month !!

May 7, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #73 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
Hey, maybe I missed it, but are the Alessandros missing from the list??

Guru, can you talk to Alessandro Products to send us demo cans of their line-up. I would like to hear how similar/different they sound from the Grado lineup.

Oh, can't wait for one more month !!

No offense but the dudes at Alessandro have trouble keeping up with their paid orders...I doubt they will humour us
tongue.gif

Besides - we have too many things to listen to already. Still - I will see what can be done.

raaj - post a website / email address / something about Alessandro...need contact info and I am a little busy working on the arrangement of equipment at the meet right now...

Cheers!

May 7, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #74 of 242
Guru, YGPM

May 7, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #75 of 242
Just got an email from Andrew Hertsens (he is taking care of all my requests to headroom).

We will also be seeing a Grado RS-1 with the balanced cables for use with the blockhead amplifier.

This will be particularly interesting because the Blockhead is basically two Headroom MAX amplifiers strapped side by side and driven in Mono. It will be a good review to analyse the differences between the Blockhead + Balanced Grado RS-1 VS. Headroom MAX + Grado RS-1 (Stock) and write about it.

mikeg - are you willing to do this little review?

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back