Florida Headphone Addicts
May 4, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
Do you huys think we can also borrow amps from headroom,ray samuels, mihhail , etc?

Usually it's just a matter of asking nicely, promising good care, paying return shipping, and some honest comments published on Head-Fi.

Someone just has to take the initiative to contact the vendors and ask.

Since the equipment list is pretty good already, who feels we should try to get vendor gear as well?

May 4, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
As I type this, a little miniature Guru figure with a long tail and pitchfork is jumping up and down on my left shoulder screaming, "No, you fool, Shut Up! Don't let him off the hook."
evil_smiley.gif

Waaaah!!
frown.gif

LOL

I respectfully disagree...I think Wayne likes nothing more than to show off his newest hardware and he has a right to because on paper - his gear is the best and the most expensive. He can actually leave all his cans behind save for the PS-1 because almost everything else can be found among us (Omega2, R10, CD3000, HD-650, HD-595, RS-1, K1000....etc.).

Plenty of amps as well

RP5, MAX, Grace, PPA (more than a couple
tongue.gif
), ASL Wav8, AQ series, Stealth, Maestro, KGSS, RA-1, Chiarra etc.

Where we may lack is in the source and cables and power supply department.

ONE SUGGESTION :-
------------------

EVERYONE MAKE IT A POINT TO GO TO THE NEAREST BEST-BUY AND PICK UP THOSE $300.00 MONSTER POWER CONDITIONERS. YOU CAN ALWAYS RETURN THEM AFTER THE MEET!!

Perhaps EVERYONE is a bad idea
tongue.gif
I think three or 4 conditioners will be enough to setup 4 different listening pods.

I would like to set this meet up and pukka it so that everyone has a place to sit and listen...

ANOTHER SUGGESTION :-
----------------------

Everyone should put whatever labels they want on their equipment before the meet. For example - I dont want anyone putting anything on top of the Rudistor RP5 or the Best Buy Monster Power Conditioner (because it has to be returned...unless I really dig it!). Also - tag your headphones, cables, CD's etc. so that you dont lose anything. If everyone on this thread manages to make it to the meet it will be a HUGE mass of equipment...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Bill hasnt responded or said much at all...I wonder if he knows we're actually taking him up on this one
tongue.gif

As usual - the invitation to my place is open to anyone who wants a place to stay and Indian food to eat.

May 4, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #18 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Usually it's just a matter of asking nicely, promising good care, paying return shipping, and some honest comments published on Head-Fi.

Someone just has to take the initiative to contact the vendors and ask.

Since the equipment list is pretty good already, who feels we should try to get vendor gear as well?

Any more gear and bill will need to ask the neighbours to leave
tongue.gif

Seriously - I got amps coming from Singlepower, Woo Audio and Ray Samuels (SR-71). I may have a Blockhead coming from HeadRoom but this is still in the talks stage...

I think we need Interconnects, Power Conditioners, Music and Food
tongue.gif
LOL

I am collecting some more Binaural crap to unload on you people. This time everyone walks away with a CD with my favorite tunes and Binaural Recordings...just to remember me by
cool.gif

I will walk away with all your gear...just to remember you by
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #19 of 242
This sure is shaping up as a nice meet very quickly. I'll make every effort to attend and will bring as many toys as I can muster.

As Guru mentioned, there is potential for a lot of duplication and since we'll probably be fairly small in number, this may lighten my load a little. There is no problem at all with anything that can be packed well or carried on... but Guru, think about it, pal, I live on an Island... so the "aerial route" is the only route to Florida unless I want to be a stow away on a cargo ship! For some of the lighter items, FedEx or the like may be possible, but for the big heavy items, we're talking hundreds of dollars to go that route, so it really comes down to what I can get (safely) on my flight. The New York trip this month will be telling.

May 4, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #20 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
This sure is shaping up as a nice meet very quickly. I'll make every effort to attend and will bring as many toys as I can muster.

As Guru mentioned, there is potential for a lot of duplication and since we'll probably be fairly small in number, this may lighten my load a little. There is no problem at all with anything that can be packed well or carried on... but Guru, think about it, pal, I live on an Island... so the "aerial route" is the only route to Florida unless I want to be a stow away on a cargo ship! For some of the lighter items, FedEx or the like may be possible, but for the big heavy items, we're talking hundreds of dollars to go that route, so it really comes down to what I can get (safely) on my flight. The New York trip this month will be telling.

I was thinking about the transportation between NY and FL. BTW - put away whatever is going to be duplicated. I think you should also leave those badass cables behind.

My recommendations :-
---------------------

Amplifiers
1] Angstrom Two Box
2] Egmont Signature
3] Berning micro-ZOTL (Ship this to someone - Gene/Me/...)
4] Sugden Headmaster (Ship this here)

Headphones (Ship them all...just carry your amps in check in or carry on)
1] Stax SR-003
2] SR-404
3] Grado PS-1
4] HP-2

Sources (You can check these in without having to worry about them)
1] CD-T200 (modded);
2] Sony DVP-9000ES (maybe)

Cables (Ship these, stuff them along with the sources and in the gaps...)

Just interconnects. I dont think a "meet" is the best place to audition power cables and I doubt the difference can be heard unless you are at home, away from everyone else...not worth the trouble IMO. Maybe bring one power cable for each of your big amps and one for the shanling...forget everything else.

Corpus Corpum (There is NO WAY you are gonna fit this anywhere
tongue.gif
LOL)

Oh yeah - bring yourself and this time DONT MISS THE DAMNED FLIGHT AND PUT THE MEET IN JEOPARDY!!!
plainface.gif

May 4, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Waaaah!!
frown.gif

LOL

I respectfully disagree...I think Wayne likes nothing more than to show off his newest hardware and he has a right to because on paper - his gear is the best and the most expensive. He can actually leave all his cans behind save for the PS-1 because almost everything else can be found among us (Omega2, R10, CD3000, HD-650, HD-595, RS-1, K1000....etc.).

Plenty of amps as well

RP5, MAX, Grace, PPA (more than a couple
tongue.gif
), ASL Wav8, AQ series, Stealth, Maestro, KGSS, RA-1, Chiarra etc.

Where we may lack is in the source and cables and power supply department.

ONE SUGGESTION :-
------------------

EVERYONE MAKE IT A POINT TO GO TO THE NEAREST BEST-BUY AND PICK UP THOSE $300.00 MONSTER POWER CONDITIONERS. YOU CAN ALWAYS RETURN THEM AFTER THE MEET!!

Perhaps EVERYONE is a bad idea
tongue.gif
I think three or 4 conditioners will be enough to setup 4 different listening pods.

I would like to set this meet up and pukka it so that everyone has a place to sit and listen...

ANOTHER SUGGESTION :-
----------------------

Everyone should put whatever labels they want on their equipment before the meet. For example - I dont want anyone putting anything on top of the Rudistor RP5 or the Best Buy Monster Power Conditioner (because it has to be returned...unless I really dig it!). Also - tag your headphones, cables, CD's etc. so that you dont lose anything. If everyone on this thread manages to make it to the meet it will be a HUGE mass of equipment...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Bill hasnt responded or said much at all...I wonder if he knows we're actually taking him up on this one
tongue.gif

As usual - the invitation to my place is open to anyone who wants a place to stay and Indian food to eat.

Silly question, but any suggestion regarding how to label equipment without leaving a residue or scratches? As for Best Buy Monster Power Conditioners, have you ever found that they alter/improve the sound? Would any such improvement result for both tube and SS amps?

May 4, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #22 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
As for Best Buy Monster Power Conditioners, have you ever found that they alter/improve the sound? Would any such improvement result for both tube and SS amps?

They dont "alter" the sound. The allow your equipment to draw "clean" power independent of the load on the bus that supplies your home.

Its like this schematic here :- (not exactly but you get the idea...If I sound like I am trying to educate you...probably because this is something you already know...then please forgive me
eggosmile.gif
)

power.JPG

You see all those loads there? Your home, your neighbours, your local stores, offices, street lamps EVERYTHING uses the same lines at some point or the other. When people turn on/off their appliances, lamps, fans, motors (induction devices are the biggest culprits) etc. or when ACs cut on and off based on the thermostat settings...The LOAD on the line changes and back at the generator (from where the line originates) this change in load is sensed and the generator reacts accordingly to supply this increased or decreased load. This results in spikes in the current and voltage over the line which can be of varying frequencies. These "noise" signals dont affect most household equipment but it DOES affect TV's and Audio equipment and computers...

A dedicated power conditioner smoothes out these noise signals and regulates the power at the same time so that nothing more than the rated output is available at the sockets. This protects your equipment and allows you to enjoy clean power. Invite your nearby industries and neighbours to have a slugfest with the switches in their homes
smily_headphones1.gif
You have nothing to worry about with a conditioner in your setup.
very_evil_smiley.gif

This is a VERY simplified explanation...If you want I can go into the details...

Cheers!

May 4, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #23 of 242
Quote:

Silly question, but any suggestion regarding how to label equipment without leaving a residue or scratches? As for Best Buy Monster Power Conditioners, have you ever found that they alter/improve the sound? Would any such improvement result for both tube and SS amps?

Mike, for meets, I've seen lots of different ways to identify gear. The simple way is to use a small piece of paper (or post-it note) and then scotch tape it to the bottom of your amp or source, or staple it around (not through) the cord of a pair of headphone, etc. As long as the group is relatively small and there is not a lot of duplication of gear, identifying what is yours is not at all difficult, and people are quite honest and trustworthy.

The more important issue is figuring out how to get any "special messages" about your gear across, as Guru alluded to (i.e., not to place anything on top of certain sources or amps, or the like). What happens is that people get excited and start chatting about what they liked or didn't like about a piece of gear, and then they put a pair of expensive cans down in the wrong sort of way, etc. At one of the Milwaukee meets, someone's brand new amp get scratched in a fairly significant way, and he was not happy about it (obviously). Often times the space is limited, and this is a contributing factor. (You can see this from the pics taken at some of the meets.)

The other thing is that people don't want to be overly anal about their gear and come across in the worng way. At home, for instance, I handle my R-10's very delicately because there is no easy way to put them down without having the wood cups coming in contact with the surface of whatever you place them on, and thus they could easily get scuffed. Thus, I always place them on a little "throne" (a folded wash cloth actually) and it works for me (when nobody is watching the ritual). If I were to bring them to a meet, I'd feel silly asking everyone to treat them with such kid gloves, but once scratched, always scratched, so why not?

Concerning the power conditioners, there are mixed opinions about what they can (or might) do to the sound, but I'd say that for those that believe there are audible improvements, most would argue that they apply equally well to tube and solid state performance. The main things are 1) surge protection, and 2) power cleansing. The surge protection aspect is done extremely well with the Monster HTS 1000, 2000 (and the more current models). These conditioners are actually (IMO) real highlights (and great values) in Monster's product offerings. Accomplishing the power conditioning is a different, and more complicated matter, and one that arguably does not even need to be undertaken if you have clean power coming into your house/apartment to begin with. There are as many options here as there are with any other aspect of this crazy hobby. I really like the Tice Audio products, from the relatively low end (Solo A/V) to their flagship (Power Block III-C) but sadly, the company is now out of business. The owners decided to retire last year, and they closed up shop (there were only 8 employees including the George Tice and his wife). If you can find a used Solo or Elite model at Audiogon, it is still worth checking out. They live in Jupiter, FL, and may still provide some level of service, I'm not sure.

May 4, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #24 of 242
Quote:

Silly question, but any suggestion regarding how to label equipment without leaving a residue or scratches?

Use tie/tags or wrap a piece of colored fabric/paper around your cable and write something on it...

I would make a small mark on the inside of the headband for headphones
Sources are easily identifiable because we dont have more than one of each (I will swap my NS-500V for Raul's modded one
very_evil_smiley.gif
)
Amps are also identifiable but just tag them with a tie tag (like the airline ones).

CD's - use the pricing labels or dedicated CD label stickers. Count and keep track of them at all times.

IF ANYTHING IS MISSING...LOOK FOR ME
very_evil_smiley.gif
LOL
eggosmile.gif

May 4, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #25 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
At home, for instance, I handle my R-10's very delicately because there is no easy way to put them down without having the wood cups coming in contact with the surface of whatever you place them on, and thus they could easily get scuffed. Thus, I always place them on a little "throne" (a folded wash cloth actually) and it works for me (when nobody is watching the ritual). If I were to bring them to a meet, I'd feel silly asking everyone to treat them with such kid gloves, but once scratched, always scratched, so why not?

Heh..You are not alone.

I never place the Senn HD-650s on the floor or any surface. I have a stand for all my headphones and they rest on it hanging by the headband...

I use white cotton gloves with the Rudistor RP5 and the Headroom MAX and all my CD's. These are SOOO CHEAP!! $6.00 for a pack of 8 at Target and for a little less at some sports stores (inner gloves for baseball, racing etc.)

The RP5 has a beautiful faceplate that can get unsightly with fingerprints...especially the volume knob.

I dont want anything on the top of the RP5 because it will simply melt anything on or near it
wink.gif
it is a HOTTTT amp in more ways than one.

Cheers!

May 4, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #26 of 242
Quote:

Heh..You are not alone.

I use white cotton gloves with the Rudistor RP5 and the Headroom MAX and all my CD's. These are SOOO CHEAP!! $6.00 for a pack of 8 at Target...

Ok, now that's a little whacked! I just can't see myself wearing white gloves around my CDs, but to each is own. You crack me up, Guru!
k1000smile.gif
(Note the chosen smiley)

May 4, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #27 of 242
Quote:

Any more gear and bill will need to ask the neighbours to leave
tongue.gif

Seriously - I got amps coming from Singlepower, Woo Audio and Ray Samuels (SR-71). I may have a Blockhead coming from HeadRoom but this is still in the talks stage...

I think we need Interconnects, Power Conditioners, Music and Food
tongue.gif
LOL

I am collecting some more Binaural crap to unload on you people. This time everyone walks away with a CD with my favorite tunes and Binaural Recordings...just to remember me by
cool.gif

I will walk away with all your gear...just to remember you by
very_evil_smiley.gif

screwdriver: looks like Guru has you covered for vendor equipment. It will be very cool to see the new little SR-71 and the Woo, and a Blockhead would be incredible - Guru, if the Blockhead is added to the mix, either Tyl will need to send along a balanced set of 600/650's, or maybe Wayne has cans with balanced cables in his arsenal.

Guru: I should have some extra IC's and PC's in my lot of stuff.

This is shaping up to be one incredible meet ...

May 4, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #28 of 242
Gene, unfortunately no cans with balanced cables.

May 4, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 242
Hey guys..

I am taking up a job in Boca Raton later this month, and I would like to attend the scheduled meet. It would be like a 6 hrs drive from my place, but what the heck, I will just drive up over the weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

I would be able to attend the meet if it is in the last week of May.. by which time, I would be well settled in my job, and with a car of my own..

So, count me in for most of the future Florida meets..
rs1smile.gif

-raaj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back