Florida Headphone Addicts
Jun 16, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #151 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
That is about it. If possible, I may cut out some of the headphones (e.g., there may be another pair of L3000's at both this and the California meets).

I was hoping you would bring the L3000 and I would have one less thing to bring.
smily_headphones1.gif
of course, having two L3000's around might be nice considering the amount of people that will most likely be around.

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #152 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I was hoping you would bring the L3000 and I would have one less thing to bring.
smily_headphones1.gif
of course, having two L3000's around might be nice considering the amount of people that will most likely be around.

Ya, fair enough. I'll bring 'em.

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #153 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
smily_headphones1.gif

ayt999, are you coming all the way over to the right coast for the FL meet, or is this posting for the SoCal meet?

Wayne gets around so much, that it's hard tp keep up
biggrin.gif

Wayne, I'll have L3000 and R10's and Stealth, if you want to leave any of those behind. Of course 2 L3k's and 2 R10's would make for some nice quick amp comparisons ...

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #154 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
ayt999, are you coming all the way over to the right coast for the FL meet, or is this posting for the SoCal meet?

I wish I could go to the florida meet... but I think I have other stuff going on then.
smily_headphones1.gif
so ya, it is pertaining the socal meet.
tongue.gif

we should start putting stickers on one of Wayne's headphones of all the places he is visiting for a Head-Fi meet!! lol.

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #155 of 242
Quote:

Is there something we can use to clean them in case several people want to try the Ety's?

Shure documentation recommends alcohol for cleaning the rubber and vinyl tips, should be equally good for the tri-flanges. I'll bring a flask of 91% isopropil alcohol Wayne.
Cheers,
Raul

Jun 16, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #157 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one

Wayne gets around so much, that it's hard tp keep up
biggrin.gif

Wayne, I'll have L3000 and R10's and Stealth, if you want to leave any of those behind. Of course 2 L3k's and 2 R10's would make for some nice quick amp comparisons ...

Gene, I think Alex was indeed referring to the California meet. The R10's I'm bringing on the trip so that Doug will have a chance to spend some time with them out there. This is where my Stealth is at the moment as well, so I'll be bringing it back with me anyway.

Jun 16, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #158 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Shure documentation recommends alcohol for cleaning the rubber and vinyl tips, should be equally good for the tri-flanges. I'll bring a flask of 91% isopropil alcohol Wayne.
Cheers, Raul

Thanks. I need to add some of this to my portable rig. Man, that Headroom bag is getting stuffed these days!

Who would have thought alcohol would be needed to listen to music? No, wait, that explains why hundreds of Rastas can sit quite comfortbably in a pub listening to terribly distorted Bob Marley recordings at 100 dB with no ear protection... well, maybe it's not just the alcohol.
eek.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #159 of 242
Quote:

Who would have thought alcohol would be needed to listen to music? No, wait, that explains why hundreds of Rastas can sit quite comfortbably in a pub listening to terribly distorted Bob Marley recordings at 100 dB with no ear protection... well, maybe it's not just the alcohol.
eek.gif

hmmmmm ... another stop on the Head-Fi Cayman's tour?

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #160 of 242
I will be attending.

My gear:
iPod 3G; ety's 4P/Scable & Ebonyks 73 Ohm adapter; Larocco PR; Superdual;TAH;Grado 225's;Zu Pivot;Various DIY IC's;Pana SL-CT570

Linn Classik, if I can pack it securely.

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #161 of 242
ok. i am still coming. I have already finished 5 pairs of the Breath of God rcas, which will be free to everyone who wants one. (they were very cheap to make (4 dollars in parts each)).

I have witnessed success with cryogenic chambers and such with my freind Terry Cain, and his speakers and internal wiring. course, out in walla walla, there is one cryo chamber, and it operates about three times a year, so you have to plan ahead. Is there one out close to Jacksonville, so i can throw all these guys in? I remember it costing like 8 dollars a pound, and seeing as these are single strand cat 5 with the lightest Radioshack connectors, i don't think that all the pairs would sum up to even 1 pound. and i am sure that it would definitely help the solder joints (and more importantly, the sound). (I guess that i am not sure if the fairy dust i used will be enough).

I am bringing - sugden headmaster, toshiba 3960, HD650, RS2, SR60, SR40, Iriver IMP-400, various ics.

additionally, I just got the toshiba 3960 yesterday. I am thouroughly impressed, and i consider most more expensive cd players to be some kind of a conspiracy or something to drain people's wallets. I am in a state of "SHOCK AND AWE". however i have noticed a very slight and barely audible clipping problem (or something) between the toshiba and sugden. I notice it the most with the 650s. I am not sure if it is a case of an overworked output stage on the toshiba or an overworked input stage of the sugden, or something i have not yet considered. What could be going on here? help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Clark

Jun 16, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #162 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by blumenco
ok. i am still coming. I have already finished 5 pairs of the Breath of God rcas, which will be free to everyone who wants one. (they were very cheap to make (4 dollars in parts each)).

That's terrific, but we will gladly pay,

Quote:

I have witnessed success with cryogenic chambers and such with my freind Terry Cain, and his speakers and internal wiring. course, out in walla walla, there is one cryo chamber, and it operates about three times a year, so you have to plan ahead. Is there one out close to Jacksonville, so i can throw all these guys in?

Here's a guy in Jax that a quick web search showed up.

Quote:

additionally, I just got the toshiba 3960 yesterday. I am thouroughly impressed, and i consider most more expensive cd players to be some kind of a conspiracy or something to drain people's wallets. I am in a state of "SHOCK AND AWE". however i have noticed a very slight and barely audible clipping problem (or something) between the toshiba and sugden. I notice it the most with the 650s. I am not sure if it is a case of an overworked output stage on the toshiba or an overworked input stage of the sugden, or something i have not yet considered. What could be going on here? help would be much appreciated.

Maybe rsaavedra or gsferrari can chime in here - boith have Tosh 3950's, and Raul (rsaavedra) has modded his extensively, so is (ahem) quite intimate with it, to the point of pasing around **** in the diy forum. It does sound rather like an impedance mismatch, or higher input voltage than the Sugden likes.

Quote:

Thanks,
Clark

Our pleasure, see you at the meet.

Jun 16, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #163 of 242
well, Lets get into some details. I returned the one i bought yesterday to best buy. after a few tests, i found the problem. I noticed that the crackling was coming from mainly the right channel. so i attempted my portable cd player. no distortion at any volume (headphones, op amp ok). so i reasoned that it might be either overloading the input stages in the sugden which make no sense because the whole unit is built around the concept of lowest input impediance. so my very low impediance cables should not contribute a problem, nor should the amp distort. so i simply switched the channels L->R, R->L at the toshiba player. sure enough, the distortion switched channels. so it was not the cables or the sugden. it was the output stage of the right channel of the toshiba. manufacterers defect that most customers would not notice.
I simply exchanged it for another unit. got the new one home. it has a slight rattling issue in the case. bleh!. and i guess that it was made in march instead of april, 2004. it also does not quite sound as good as the first, even though the first one had the distortion issue. they are of the same breed obviously, but definitely not the same pedigree. it just sounds a bit bloated, kindof like the problem that most other players suffer from. i will probably return this one to Worst Buy tonight and hope that the third time is the charm. damn manufacterer's variance. either that or i will wait a bit and
see if the new one "comes around" by breaking in or something.
AHHHH!!!

Clark

Jun 17, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #165 of 242
al right. i am just going to let this thing break in for a while, and quit my whining.

actually, it is starting to sound better. or i am getting more receptive. or both could be true. It really sounded pretty bad out of the box compared to the other one. i think something was definitely wrong with the old one. I hung upside down for a bit and that helped. maybe it was just my anger that prevented me from having an open listening mind. I think i will leave it unmodded for the meet and get some tips from you guys on how to help this thing out.

Clark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back