Florida 11/15/08. Team Florida Jumps the Shark
Nov 20, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #91 of 110
I may need to revist the sony torture devices as when I gave them a listen they sounded thin compared to other phones. They soundstage amazingly well but the cons outweigh the positives imho.

Still stings that I missed this meet looks like all had a great time. Seeing the pics makes me imagine the outlandish fun that was had by all.

Frank's dynamight is always a pleasure to listen to, his well tweaked and put together rigs are always spot on. Hey what happened to the micromega cdp?

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #92 of 110
(Since it has come up in this thread)
I cruised the store on Federal Highway in Ft Lauderdale (Florida, for those elsewhere for whom this post has very little meaning). Virtually no electronics left, let alone high end electronics. Certainly no Cambridge CDPs at giveaway prices. There seemed to be fair numbers of Klipsch and Polk speakers and some flat-panel TVs that they haven't really discounted yet.

Tyrion - should we be stampeding to the store near your office?

-Carl

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #93 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlseibert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cruised the store on Federal Highway in Ft Lauderdale (Florida, for those elsewhere for whom this post has very little meaning). Virtually no electronics left, let alone high end electronics. Certainly no Cambridge CDPs at giveaway prices. There seemed to be fair numbers of Klipsch and Polk speakers and some flat-panel TVs that they haven't really discounted yet.

-Carl

Shame that they've gone under. I always liked their stores but felt that I wasn't in their target market in the sense that I'm too immersed in the high end audio thing and thus know where the deals are (or indeed, which of their lines were even worth bothering with).

I really don't mean this in any snobish way, but it seems that they catered to the types of people who would walk in off the street with a wad of cash and little, if any, product knowledge or understanding of audio in general terms. As a result, I was always careful not to waste too much of their time, or to lead them into thinking that I was going to buy something and then order it online instead. Free demos at their expense isn't my idea of being a good customer.

They did carry some good stuff though and some of the sales guys were quite good as well. I enjoyed wandering in once or twice per year to see where they were headed, but they always seemed short on customers. I did buy my Tivoli Model 3 clock radio with a matching second speaker from them.

I also considered getting a couple of the awesome D-Box Quest chairs that they had in their demo room in the Federal Highway store. See the funky chick's review here: http://www.gadgetgossip.net/episodes/12.html Website here: http://www.d-box.com/2008/product_movies_SRI.html D-Box also sells purpose built flight simulators and race car driving simulators to bring the visceral experience home in a very real way. This is really cool stuff. Right up there with the Smyth Research demo that I did at CanJam. Home theater has just never been a big priority, however.

Such a shame... Sound Advice was really about the only game in town for mid to upper end gear, other than individual stores like's Oz's "Let There Be Sound."

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #94 of 110
Quote:

Shame that they've gone under. I always liked their stores but felt that I wasn't in their target market in the sense that I'm too immersed in the high end audio thing and thus know where the deals are (or indeed, which of their lines were even worth bothering with).

Indeed. If you read a list of the retail stores going out of business right now, it's more than a little scary.

Of course, the fact that I can't remember ever buying anything in Sound Advice and you probably can't either might have some bearing on their current predicament.

I've always felt more comfortable in place's like Howard's or Oswaldo's and it's always seemed to me that you get better value for money in the smaller high end shops.

-Carl

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #95 of 110
Quote:

-Carl

I've been meaning to stop in as the store is about a minute from my office but I keep forgetting. I'm leaving for the airport soon and will be gone for the weekend.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #96 of 110
Quote:

Indeed. If you read a list of the retail stores going out of business right now, it's more than a little scary.

Of course, the fact that I can't remember ever buying anything in Sound Advice and you probably can't either might have some bearing on their current predicament.

I've always felt more comfortable in place's like Howard's or Oswaldo's and it's always seemed to me that you get better value for money in the smaller high end shops.

-Carl

These are Tweeter stores up here (Illinois), and I would agree that I have been in there several times but can't really remember buying anything from them. They were quite close to the place that I used to get tires from, so would wander over there while waiting for my car to be done, as well as stop in from time to time. I may have to wander over there and see what they have left. I liked them much better than going to a Best Buy, etc. though... well, other than price.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #97 of 110
Looks like you had a great time, very nice pics.

An awesome meet
normal_smile .gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #98 of 110
Quote:

-Carl

I also stoped at this particular store on Tuesday and did not see anything of interest. On Sunday on my way back from Tampa I stoped at the North Miami Beach store on US1 north of 163rd St and did not see anything either.
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #99 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been meaning to stop in as the store is about a minute from my office but I keep forgetting. I'm leaving for the airport soon and will be gone for the weekend.

Yeah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... $350 at J&R. That's actually pretty reasonable. For a speaker lover who doesn't own a pair of K1000, this might be a good way to mimic that type of listening experience, assuming that they're amped properly.

They only reason I don't own the K1000's is because they hurt my head no matter what I've tried to relieve the temple pressure.
I don't think that they need to be properly amped. They have a short cord, 1/8" termination which appears to be (like the ESW-9/10's) made for a more portable type system, even thought they are not really practical for portability (as with the ESW-9/10's).
Hiflight had me listen to them out of an iBasso, iQube and directly out of a iRiver H-120. Not sure of the impedance spec (Sony says 18 ohms), but they sounded equally good all around.

Sony Store is selling them direct for $399 w/ free shipping:

PFRV1 | Personal Field Speaker Headphones | Sony | SonyStyle USA

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #100 of 110
Wmcmanus;5018199 said:
I also considered getting a couple of the awesome D-Box Quest chairs that they had in their demo room in the Federal Highway store. See the funky chick's review here: gadgetgossip! - Episode 12 - D-BOX Quest Seats Website here: D-BOX Motion Code ::: Movies : Screening Room Series D-Box also sells purpose built flight simulators and race car driving simulators to bring the visceral experience home in a very real way. This is really cool stuff. Right up there with the Smyth Research demo that I did at CanJam. Home theater has just never been a big priority, however.

There are two D-Box Quest chairs @ the altamonte store in Orlando, where I bought the Cambridge 840 cd. I know I should not be telling you this, because you just might catch the next plane off the island straight to Orlando.

I wanted to ask you how you made out with the hurricanes. I understand the Caymans got hit pretty bad . We lost everything a few years back,so I understand the devastations of hurricanes first hand. By the way, it was good meeting you at the meet.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #101 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by SEABREEZE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two D-Box Quest chairs @ the altamonte store in Orlando, where I bought the Cambridge 840 cd. I know I should not be telling you this, because you just might catch the next plane off the island straight to Orlando.

I wanted to ask you how you made out with the hurricanes. I understand the Caymans got hit pretty bad . We lost everything a few years back,so I understand the devastations of hurricanes first hand. By the way, it was good meeting you at the meet.

Ahhh!!! So tempting. I should at least call them to see what kind of price they can offer the chairs for.

The hurricanes missed us in Grand Cayman this year, but Paloma destroyed Cayman Brac. It's really bad. A direct hit from a Cat 4 hurricane.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #102 of 110
Hawaiian shirts and a crazy group of people.
What more is needed!

Looks like it was another great meet. Wish I could have been there.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #103 of 110
hello - i am a florida new-be (have had grado 80's for awhile) - i was at the hotel early in the day and was treated graciously to some ear samples by you friendly headphone exibitors.

i was wondering if some one could list the phones pictured on page 4 in
illkemist's post. its the 4th and 5 th pic with the table layed out.
i really liked the last phone on the right.

appreciate it.
thanks
paul
dunedin, fl 34698

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #104 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello - i am a florida new-be (have had grado 80's for awhile) - i was at the hotel early in the day and was treated graciously to some ear samples by you friendly headphone exibitors.

i was wondering if some one could list the phones pictured on page 4 in
illkemist's post. its the 4th and 5 th pic with the table layed out.
i really liked the last phone on the right.

appreciate it.
thanks
paul
dunedin, fl 34698

smily_headphones1.gif

From left to right, they are the Stax SR-007 MK1, Stax SR-4070, HeAudio Jade, and finally HeAudio 1.2B (the one you like). The HeAudio 1.2B is the prototype version of the HeAudio Jade, and you can buy the Jade from the Head-Direct site:

Head-Direct.com | YUIN

It costs a ton of money and is currently sold out
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #105 of 110
as per icarium's suggestion im calling off the manhunt for my special nate built cable. i ended up finding it in the box with my headphones ><. never unpacked since i got back from tampa. i do apologise for any extra trips to your cars and i thank all those who did make the extra effort to help me find it.

again, thanks.

all is fine in the world now.
smily_headphones1.gif

ps. the singlepower extreme kicks MAJOR ass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back