Florida 11/15/08. Team Florida Jumps the Shark
Nov 18, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #76 of 110
I am just recovering from the festival.

Telica and I had a wonderful time. Thank you Matt for hosting such a great meet.

Frank's build was a manly man's build and he is a genius when it comes to altering designs. His amps sound fantastic, and I've yet to see one that doesn't offer the opportunity to get electrocuted at the same time as "electrified".

I loved the design innovation of having the left power supply on the right and visa-versa. You just can't get that design schema from a brick and mortar.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. Where else can you listen to music and taste how many cavities that you have at the same time???

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #77 of 110
Nov 18, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #78 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I had a pair of HE90's to compare to the Jades. I'm not saying they sound the same but they are a lot closer than the O2 is (not that the O2 was meant to sound like the HE90). As good as the O2 is with the right amp, to my ears there Jade are just plain better. First, as PJ mentioned, in terms of comfort, the Jade wins, end of story. The soundstage/imaging/airiness of the Jade is better than the O2. Speakers are my first choice most times and as such soundstage, etc. is important. They extend well in both directions. The bass is deep and controlled. It produces detail that is almost palpable. The Jade impresses me now as the first version did in MOA. The BH just makes them sing. This pair has about 8 or 9 hours on them at the moment so hopefully this will continue and improve over the next week or so.

Me too, in terms of the HE90 comparison. For some reason, I thought there was going to be a pair on hand, else I would have brought mine!

Although I must say, I was pretty maxed out trying to get everything back on my return flight. I had two check in bags and two carry on items as well. Suppose I could have left something with Matt for a while. Dang! Wish I would have brought the HE90. Next time for sure!

I liked the Jades a lot myself, and may end up with a pair one day (so I can give them a better workout). I honestly don't think I could do any better than Mike has done above in terms of the comparisons. I agree that they trump the O2, at least to my ears (based on muscle memory of the O2 as a long time owner).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wayne, can we get your opinion on the Jade?

See above, Al. ^^^ Well, Ok. Let me at least try.

Unfortunately, I didn't even think to make comparisons of the Jades to the 02 and 4070, both of which were on hand, and both of which I own and quite like for very different reasons.

I think of the 4070 as the electrostatic equivalent of the HP-2 in that it is as true to the source and amplification as you'll ever hear; the king among electrostats in terms of transparency, and although that can be involving in a toe tapping way, it often leaves the listener thinking "that was a great/poor recording" (as the case may be) as opposed to "that was great/poor music" (as the case may be). In other words, the 4070 tends to pull my mind into the recording itself, which is not to say that this is done at a total sacrifice of musical satisfaction, but for whatever reasons the 4070 often leaves me somewhat flat and uninvolved on an emotional level.

The O2, while perhaps technically superior to the 4070 and perhaps even better at extracting details, does tend to add much more of its own signature, or coloration. It just so happens that what the O2 adds isn't always (or even usually) my cup of tea. I've always found them to be quite dark in comparison to the HE90 or K1000, for example. At times, the O2 can be just what I'm looking for, such as when I'm listening to the glorious texture of Charlie Hunter's upright bass. Nothing does it more justice than the O2, and that counts any/all of the dynamic headphones you can think of that are well regarded for their great bass (PS-1, Edition 9, L3000, or Qualia 010).

What I'm getting at is that (for me, at least), both the 4070 and O2 are what I'd call "purpose" phones (the 4070 for their transparency, the O2 for their detail and amazing bass extension/clarity). They tend to be headphones that I listen when I'm in the mood for those particular things. Don't get me wrong, they're both excellent for "all around" listening, but that's not the way I use them because I've kind of spoiled myself!

My true "all around" headphones are the HE90, R10 and K1000. Or at least those are the first ones that come to mind and that I would reach for if I was playing a CD for the first time and had no idea what kind of music it represented. Anything sounds good on these 3 headphones (with the right amplification in all cases, but in the case of the K1000 in particular). They're my "can't miss" headphones (although that's not always true, it's true often enough that I know I can count on them the vast majority of the time to 'shine').

From what little I've heard of the Jade, my guess is that if I owned a pair and listened to them with a lot of different types of music over a long period of time, I'd put them in this same category. It seems that they may be adding a bit of coloration, and probably a midrange emphasis with an R10-like gooeyness, but with all of the speed of attack and overall sense of immersion in a field of sound that you get with the HE90. It's hard to say if they're on that same "level" but they do seem to at least be of that same "character". Just as the markl-modded D5000 or Edition 9 may be inexpensive alternatives to the R10 (relatively speaking) and still give the listener much of that same overall satisfaction, the Jade might fill that role on the electrostatic side of things relative to the much more expensive (and hard to find) HE90.

All of that from about 10 minutes of listening to the Jade, broken up into two 5 minute sessions, so take it for what it's worth. Why didn't I make the comparisons to the O2 or 4070? Just didn't think of it. I was too busy enjoying the Jades and wondering to myself how long it would be before I broke down and bought myself a pair. Nothing in particular stood out in my mind. They were extremely musical and quite natural sounding. I didn't sense an overemphasis of either the highs or lows, but I didn't notice anything missing either. The soundstage was reasonably wide but I didn't get any eerie feelings that something was being played in the next room (as opposed to in my head), so not K1000 wide but not RS-1 narrow. Overall, I'd describe their sound as smooth and sweet. More along the lines of the HE90 than the O2, as Mike mentioned.

Add 10 pounds of salt (rather than one grain) into what I've had to say, and then you'll have a real opinion that you can rely on. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the Jade again, and hope that I'll have a better chance to do a proper evaluation at that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Head Direct Jade electrostatics show great promise vs the HE 2. Noticably better build, fit and finish and equal or slightly better sound quality that should improve with hours (these were brand new with zero break in). I'll confess to liking Omega II and II mkii better though. The Stax are just more accurate, non fatiguing and smooth to my ears. The HE-2 and Jade do very well in a meet setting - they grab your attention with brilliant presention accross the frequency spectrum and are very comfortable to wear. To my ears, though, they are pumped up a bit at both high and low freqs - like a little "loudness" switch had been flipped when going to them from the O2s. Terrific value for the money, and with Stax and them the only games in town, it makes for a different strokes for different folks situation as opposed to this is better than that.

I'm assuming that you volume matched?
tongue.gif

The reason I'm asking is that (although I didn't make the comparisons at this meet), I've always found that the O2 need a couple of notches more volume than the HE90 or HE60. Might be the same situation with the Jade and HE-2.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #79 of 110
why take it personal that i think something looks ugly? i'm not going to lose sleep over you not offering any impressions just because of how i view something aesthetically. besides, based on your personal gear listed i'd say our taste is pretty much opposite thus i probably wouldnt take anything you had to say into consideration to begin with. i could add more fuel to the fire about it since you don't think it's ugly but lets not indulge that childsplay. i was only curious...

but if anyone else that isn't so sensitive/uptight would like to share please do chime in.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #80 of 110
I realize that they may pale by comparison to the electrostatic feast y'all had, but any impressions of the Sony PFR-V1's and/or the MDR-F1s'? I do see some pics of people wearing them.

BTW great pics of the Thai temple, Gene. I would have loved a side trip/meal like that. Very cool!

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #81 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> ...
I'm assuming that you volume matched?
tongue.gif

The reason I'm asking is that (although I didn't make the comparisons at this meet), I've always found that the O2 need a couple of notches more volume than the HE90 or HE60. Might be the same situation with the Jade and HE-2.

Wayne ... nice comparo and impressions of the Jade vs others.

Yes, I volume matched as best I could under meet conditions. The main point I was making was that the Jades definitely play in the big leagues with the O2s and other high end phones currently available, but that not all will necessarily prefer them to O2s. I am certainly looking forward to hearing them again, hopefully in more controlled conditions, and with a wider array of music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize that they may pale by comparison to the electrostatic feast y'all had, but any impressions of the Sony PFR-V1's and/or the MDR-F1s'? I do see some pics of people wearing them.

BTW great pics of the Thai temple, Gene. I would have loved a side trip/meal like that. Very cool!

Jimmy ... thanks for the pic props. Yes, you would have loved the temple. Just another reason for you to make a Tampa meet someday.
smile.gif

I did not listen to the Sony MDR F1s, but did slip on the PFR-V1s that Hi-Flight modded a bit. Those (PFR-V1s) were unusual in many respects - small, light, worn in a crazy "stick the pointy part in your ear" kind of way, but very comfortable and sounding waaaay better than they have a right to given the appearance and size. They are very intriguing headphones that are small and light enough to be portable, but with sound at the level of larger home cans. Perhaps with some coaxing, Hi-Flight can describe his mod.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #82 of 110
1. sony pcdp (found with dom)
2. adapter for the sony pcdp (found an extra one lying around in the house so no need for this one now)
3. mini - rca cable (red in color)
4. 1/4"-1/8" adapter that comes with the hd 650s, in the absence of which i find myself unable to use the 650s with my laptop...so ampless and headphoneless (figuratively) right after a meet. wonder if anyone else finds the irony funny
smily_headphones1.gif

if any of the above items pop up in your gear while you unpack, kindly let me know. i will love you forever.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #83 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why take it personal that i think something looks ugly? i'm not going to lose sleep over you not offering any impressions just because of how i view something aesthetically. besides, based on your personal gear listed i'd say our taste is pretty much opposite thus i probably wouldnt take anything you had to say into consideration to begin with. i could add more fuel to the fire about it since you don't think it's ugly but lets not indulge that childsplay. i was only curious...

but if anyone else that isn't so sensitive/uptight would like to share please do chime in.

Before responding to you, I actually read a bunch of your prior posts to see if maybe you were kidding or were a DIY god or had a relationship with flecom that might justify your obnoxious entry into this thread. I found that your comment was consistent with your posting habits, and your gem here quoted only reinforces my conclusions. If you were only curious, I bet you could have come up with a way to ask the question without dissing the amp and its maker. Why don't you "indulge in your childsplay" somewhere other than here?

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #84 of 110
This is my first post here since the meet.....What's with all the impressions? I thought we weren't allowed to post anything unrelated to getting intoxicated and causing trouble????
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #85 of 110
Thank you Wayne - ever the gentleman, and scholar.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #86 of 110
Quote:

I did not listen to the Sony MDR F1s, but did slip on the PFR-V1s that Hi-Flight modded a bit. Those (PFR-V1s) were unusual in many respects - small, light, worn in a crazy "stick the pointy part in your ear" kind of way, but very comfortable and sounding waaaay better than they have a right to given the appearance and size. They are very intriguing headphones that are small and light enough to be portable, but with sound at the level of larger home cans. Perhaps with some coaxing, Hi-Flight can describe his mod.

This is the link to Ron's thread on his mod using grommets on the end of the bass tube. The result looked like this:

PFRmod3.jpg

Maybe I missed that there were other mods underneath, but my understanding from this weekend -- and from looking at his PFR-V1s at the meet -- is that Hi-Flight now uses foam microphone covers like in the picture below (he got his from Radio Shack) over the bass tubes that rest in your ears. Makes them a little more comfortable and gives the bass some more weight apparently.

exec_foam_mic_cover_b-010.jpg

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #87 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jimmy,
I wrote a whole long response to this question this morning while waiting in the airport and then my computer died (don't you just love that when that happens?).

Anyway, I spent a lot of time with the Personal Field Sony's with both portable equipment and my BCA and the Luxman. I was astonished with how good the Sony's sounded with percussion, female vocals and crisp clean cymbals. Their shortfall is the bottom end, even though Sony tried to re-direct the lower frequency air from the tubs using the tubes that sit directly in your ears. Hiflight modified them for comfort by adding the Rat Shack mic covers, but they still don't do a good job under 100 hz.
With that said, I ordered a pair from J&R anyway because they are sweet in the mid and high ranges. Maybe I'll use the through my speaker preamp while killing the speakers and just allowing my sub to thump
happy_face1.gif

I did spend some time comparing them to the MDR-F1's, and while they sounded "not so bad" I prefered the PFR-V1's to them in almost every category, except for noise bleed. The V1's don't really bleed a lot, but as with the K1000's, all ambient noise is invited in, along for the ride.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #89 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like I missed a great meet.

frown.gif

I wanted to hear the dyna-might, I remember following the thread a while back when it was being built.

I heard that Dyna-might at the 2007 Florida meet and it sounded excellent with plenty of dynamicss and headroom. Certainly one of the best balanced solidstate I've heard.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #90 of 110
Quote:

I agree with that assessment about the PFR-V1, but unfortunately the price is not so small. Apparently about $550 MSRP, give or take, per Hi-Flight. They're probably priced just about right. I think for $200-$300 (which is what they "look" like they would be priced at), they would be a bargain. For $550 (not sure what the street price is), it would take further assessment.

In other words, I don't think I'd just rush out and grab a pair based on a brief audition. But as with Gene and others, I was quite impressed by what I heard and they score big time on the cool factor. I can't think of any other headphones except for the K1000s which are truly ear speakers.

I really should have given them more time and then compared them with the other high end portables on hand, namely the ESW9 and ESW10. That's where their real competition is.

I didn't listen to the MDR-F1 either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my first post here since the meet.....What's with all the impressions? I thought we weren't allowed to post anything unrelated to getting intoxicated and causing trouble????
biggrin.gif

We can do whatever we want to. That restriction only applies to you.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that said, I ordered a pair from J&R anyway because they are sweet in the mid and high ranges.

That didn't take long! Congrats. Very intriguing design and excellent sounding as well. Plus, they look so high tech (in a good way) when people are wearing them. Sure to impress all of the hotties who are ever in pursuit of the mountain biker man.

Hmm... $350 at J&R. That's actually pretty reasonable. For a speaker lover who doesn't own a pair of K1000, this might be a good way to mimic that type of listening experience, assuming that they're amped properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back