flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 23, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #36,391 of 39,419
The Acoustune HS2000MX! I think this is the best-sounding Acoustune IEM to date and it’s got modular/replaceable driver housing. Out of the box I hear a mild V sound signature with great treble extension and decent bass extension as well. I am kinda excited about the possibilities of this IEM, hopefully the other driver modules won’t cost too much :)

I’m also hoping Acoustune will add this IEM to their ST1000 project. Maybe we can then easily convert this IEM to a CIEM and vise versa.

70A737A6-C4C3-4CFE-9200-5B5157DBEA64.jpeg3210F837-C4A4-421D-9C0E-4B9D3227CB4B.jpeg8EC577AE-DF4D-424F-8015-0263D65485BF.jpegEDF094C6-A9E5-4ED6-8156-D14D9A47BDF8.jpegCC9A8A67-C8E7-4EA6-96C9-EC56BB0A7701.jpegE055A83D-07DC-4704-9DC0-731FBE8EA958.jpeg797B29B7-3297-488E-90F6-D5DB1D7B5194.jpeg

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #36,392 of 39,419
Well, I'd like to do unspeakable things to Kate Upton. You guess which of the two is more likely to happen :raising_hand:

As tempting as it is to lock myself up in a room for 6 months again doing unpaid work, I kinda enjoy earning money now to pay for my mortgage and food and stuff. You know, the simple things in life.

But in all seriousness, there is generally an expiration date on how long you can do this (unless you have some kind of business model). My time has past, just like average_joe, ljokerl and jelt2359 before me. Now it's time for the next generation to stand up, you should be petitioning them :wink:

-Nic
Hate to call you out like this Daniel, but know that it comes from a place of utmost respect @Deezel177 :wink: You as well, Alex @twister6

Seriously, respect to all the people that review, I know it can be quite a PITA; some enjoy it, but for me, writing (or trying to write) reviews can be quite the arduous task & sometimes counterproductive to my actual enjoyment of this hobby.

Thank you again, Nic for your previous & continued contributions. :wink: Enjoy the simple things!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #36,393 of 39,419
Ah, I see. I did read a recent news article that covid cases had risen recently, and the US added Singapore to its list of restricted flights.
Yeah. The fascinating thing is that the Singapore government is so aggressive about testing, and reports even the asymptomatic cases. Hence, it is only natural that the numbers seem to more alarming that it actually is. But life has to go on. :)

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #36,394 of 39,419
Hate to call you out like this Daniel, but know that it comes from a place of utmost respect @Deezel177 :wink: You as well, Alex @twister6

Seriously, respect to all the people that review, I know it can be quite a PITA; some enjoy it, but for me, writing (or trying to write) reviews can be quite the arduous task & sometimes counterproductive to my actual enjoyment of this hobby.

Thank you again, Nic for your previous & continued contributions. :wink: Enjoy the simple things!

Hahaha, I'm too old for this, in the same boat as Nic, and likewise, my peak time has past. I had more ambition 3-4 years ago, like here, 4 years ago at CanJam NYC with Nic @EffectAudio at EA table (hmm, what a coincidence :p), but that is in the past :D I can barely keep up with all the reviews now.

EA_table.jpgs

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #36,395 of 39,419
IMG_20210806_164254.jpg

This wooden box is mind blowing.

Oct 24, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #36,397 of 39,419
Well, I'd like to do unspeakable things to Kate Upton. You guess which of the two is more likely to happen :raising_hand:

As tempting as it is to lock myself up in a room for 6 months again doing unpaid work, I kinda enjoy earning money now to pay for my mortgage and food and stuff. You know, the simple things in life.

But in all seriousness, there is generally an expiration date on how long you can do this (unless you have some kind of business model). My time has past, just like average_joe, ljokerl and jelt2359 before me. Now it's time for the next generation to stand up, you should be petitioning them :wink:

-Nic

fair enough

well at least try to drop by here and post now and then , i am glad to see that capitalism/chains of work have not robbed you of your sense of subtle sarcasm/humor

cheers :xf_cool:

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #36,398 of 39,419
In what's turned out to be one of the oddest coincidences in audio reviewing history, it looks like everyone's decided to post their 64 Audio Duo reviews this weekend as well. :D Anyway, I just shared my take on the in-ear over on 64 Audio's thread. As I alluded to on my initial impressions, I think it's a standout everyday-carry in the kilobuck tier today. It doesn't have the most memorable or colourful tonality in the world (which, depending on who you are, may or may not be a good thing). But, it's its innovations that truly nudge it that cut above for me, and it's what I think will ultimately make the IEM.

So, if you're keen, please head over to their thread for the link to the review, and, as always, I hope you guys enjoy. Cheers. :)

64-Duo_RL-03_S.jpg

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #36,399 of 39,419
Oct 25, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #36,400 of 39,419
Oct 25, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #36,401 of 39,419
Oct 25, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #36,402 of 39,419
I didn’t realise that you had your own thread. It’s a really good read.
Thanks! I don't really plug it that much.

It's not really that active compared to the other folks and mostly me organizing my content without clogging other threads.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #36,403 of 39,419
In what I think of the future, I will be going on to spending more and more on R-2R DAC and maybe fall in SKYNET's hands (aka R-2R iterations)

Here's the first ever experience that I had with R2R ladder DAC and TBH it still holds my heart , CAYIN N6II R01 MODULE - RESURRECTION OF THE TERMINATOR (T800 V2) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The best pairing was with UM MEST MK2, VE 7 and FOCAL CLEAR OG too IMO. :ksc75smile:

BUT ,this came at a cost, I have to type the MEST MK2 and VE7 review again and test them out more.

Hopefully you guys have a fun read.
Thanks to @mvvRAZ and @Jackpot77 for making me get the R01 than E02 :beyersmile: and also Andrew from @MusicTeck for helping me secure one too.
Nevertheless you guys in this thread and Cayin thread, who also gave those R01 impressions, I thank you all too !!! :beerchug:

c.jpg

20211024_163840.jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #36,404 of 39,419
Hey guys,
has been a while since I last wrote here but have been lurking now and then.
Have been trying out multiple IEMs in the last months and the FIBAE7 is still my favourite so I am going to pull the trigger on the custom version in the very near future.

I know this thread is more about IEMs but I also want to upgrade my source and hoped to get your input on this subject.
I want to upgrade my DAC setup which is mainly (90%) desktop use and a little bit (10%) mobile (but still in the house 😄).
Since I don't want to spend THAT much on the source (for now, lol) those were the ones that looked the most interesting to me:
Chord Mojo, Lotoo PAW S1, Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt, iFi micro iDSD Black Label
For reference, I am currently using the FiiO E10.

From my research I am leaning towards the Mojo or the new Lotoo S2.

But I would love to hear your thoughts about this :)

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #36,405 of 39,419
Hey guys,
has been a while since I last wrote here but have been lurking now and then.
Have been trying out multiple IEMs in the last months and the FIBAE7 is still my favourite so I am going to pull the trigger on the custom version in the very near future.

I know this thread is more about IEMs but I also want to upgrade my source and hoped to get your input on this subject.
I want to upgrade my DAC setup which is mainly (90%) desktop use and a little bit (10%) mobile (but still in the house 😄).
Since I don't want to spend THAT much on the source (for now, lol) those were the ones that looked the most interesting to me:
Chord Mojo, Lotoo PAW S1, Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt, iFi micro iDSD Black Label
For reference, I am currently using the FiiO E10.

From my research I am leaning towards the Mojo or the new Lotoo S2.

But I would love to hear your thoughts about this :)
I’d probably recommend the Lotoo, especially for convenience and ease-of-use. The Mojo is honestly a bit of a hassle to carry around. The S1 (or S2) is much easier to connect to a wide array of devices as well. As long as you don’t mind second-rate power compared to a dedicated desktop amp, then it’s a solid, easy choice IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back