Kuro's Reviews, Impressions and Shootouts
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #16 of 59
Impressions: DITA x Final Shichiku Kangen (SK)

Preamble: I've long known of Final as an audio company of renown from the eastern reaches of the globe. But due to a lack of interest and perhaps even marketing, the lack of availability to their product line has relegated them to "mid-fi hell" for the longest time. Final would not pique my attention until almost 3 years into my foray into HiFi with the release of the A8000. My experience with single DDs at the time led me to wave that off, well that and having used the wrong terms to describe my audio preferences as well. Admittedly it was more the aesthetics of the hemp pattern and lacquer that drew me into the Shichiku Kangen despite my disdain for LE releases. Well, that and @riverground going full hype train. Much thanks for @mvvRAZ for enabling out insanity a lot earlier than expected (and an unexpected Fourte for me). I have to figure out that hemp theme for the full review as well...

Design: The SK uses the exact same shell as the A8000, so the same downfall with the sharp edge possibly digging into the back of your concha depending on size is a huge issue. Definitly demo before buying to check this out. I had no issues and the shell sat perfectly in my ears. The lacquer and hemp pattern look a bit lackluster in person compared to staged photographs, but excluded a level of classiness and worksmanship that I appreciate. I love that Final included a set of replaceable nozzle screens in the box. While the A8000 is more prone to being a fingerprint magnet and micro scratch prone, the lacquer affords a better level of protection though micro scratches can still occur over use, so baby them. The curliness of the piggy tail Oslo is my biggest criticism, I didn't have it long enough to see if it would soften up over time as claimed, but I would swap it for sheer ergonomics. I would also recommend swapping it out for other reasons.

Testing: I went right to Radius Deepmounts out of the box and ignored the Type E. The SK is considerably harder to drive than the A8000, and was put at 55-60 in high gain off the WM1A.

Sound: SK and A8000 have a very interesting contrast in the actual bass signature compared to how they graph. The graph for the SK would indicate a clear sub-bass bias, but upon listening has a very clear mid bass bias. Excellent slam and impact with no bleed at all into the mids despite a fairly elevated lower mids. Sub bass extension is excellent as well, it goes deep when needed but not really the star of the show. Overall the bass is very well bodied and has good warmth, putting it into the area between normal and basshead bass. This body carries over into the lower mids as well without bleed (as previously mentioned) and male vocals benefit very well from this. I find this very similar to the (now discontinued) Empire Ears Phantom in this regard. I also have to add that Beryllium DDs are AMAZING! Amazingly fast, but retaining the bass texture of normal dynamic drivers. Considering this was modified to DITA's specs, this had me highly anticipating Final's own take but that's another set of impressions.

As mentioned in the last paragraph, the warmth and body carries over into the mids as well giving the SK a significantly more musical sound in comparison to the A8000. Female vocals benefit a lot from the body, and when coupled with vocalists that push into the upper midrange, provided an excellent listen. There's still benefits to vocalists that can power up the range, but much more noticeable for some artists. While not extremely airy, the air present is sufficient for notes in the midrange to be partially diffused like the Fourte allowing for said musicality. Overall, both male and female vocals are extremely well balanced despite a darker signatures usually benefiting male vocals the most, I suspect this is in effect due to the tuning chambers in use with this particular design allowing for such an even distribution of benefits to the lower and upper mids.

Treble is a very interesting beast on the SK. There's a lot of it, but it seems to take the approach of the Fourte: Giving it air for the notes to reverberate. However, the SK doesn't just take a step back in the treble like the Fourte, but a couple steps back. As such, despite the energy and sparkle present, it never becomes too much for even those with treble sensitivities. This is not your treble head sparkle however and like me, that is the A8000's fourte.

Conclusion: The goal of DITA was to for a warm musical take on the A8000 and they've succeeded in that. From the warmth and body in the bass and the mids to the laid back but (paradoxically) plentiful treble, the SK is undoubtedly a dark version of the A8000 but without the nerf in treble that gear in this vein tends to do. The soundstage has relatively good width and height with middling depth, all in support of the warmth being presented. The one fault I had with it was the imaging. It seems that in pursuit of a warm musical sound, DITA ended compromising in the imaging department, perhaps a bit too much in my tastes. While nowhere as bad as the Dunu Zen with busy tracks this was something that consistently broke my immersion in the music. As my unit was fairly new during my initial time with it, I had a second go with it and while the vast majority of my impressions remained the same, the imaging did improve as a result of use off the Oslo. Putting the DHC Clone Silver on, yielded further improvement to the imaging to the point where I found it accessible. Despite what DITA says, I find the stock Oslo to be a bottleneck on what the SK is capable and recommend replacing it asap.

For a single beryllium DD, the SK also excels technically as well, firmly planting the return of single DD ToTL models to the audiophile market. However for the price that it commands, the imaging is unacceptable to me. Were it priced at the A8000 as an alternate tuning, I could accept the compromise. But alas it is not and priced more for the aesthetic and prestige of owning shells with Japanese artisanal work that only exist in a limited capacity. I do hope that Final does release the SK tuning down the line as an alternate A8000 model in a non limited capacity at same price point. As I can see it doing well with western audiences because of the tuning. Perhaps with the stock Final C106 cable (which I might add is probably the best stock cable I've heard to date), providing an excellent cable without bring up the price and letting those savings go towards a cable should they choose to cable roll.

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 59
I cant wait to get the SK back I am missing its signature and need to redo some tests of ierz1r vs sk 😛

So far there is advantages and disadvantages to each iem. I am surprised you haven't mentioned a word about coherency as fourté do have a scoop below like a gap in a certain range in the mid to high which like literally disappear. It is extremely aparant when doing a direct comparison vs Jolene.

Fourté has weakness's and it is what made me change for a new iem. I first tried ie900 but it is far behind the SK so if we think of it SK might be the leader and beat single DD iem available to the market in my opinion and this makes it so fantastic and unique.

Fourté goes for other specialities and I had enough after owning so many of them lol. This was my final fourté tour and I changed for a new life now 😛😎

I also really love how ierz1r performs and sounds. In my opinion ier's and sk are 2 top premium best iems available as an all arounder option. I also think japanese technology are unbeatable and no matter how hard 64a or other brand tries they just can't do it as evolutionary as the Japanese folks.

The proof of this is sony gear, then its sennheiser, then other brands by preferences.

That is my experience speaking after trying a tons of stuff

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 59
So far there is advantages and disadvantages to each iem. I am surprised you haven't mentioned a word about coherency as fourté do have a scoop below like a gap in a certain range in the mid to high which like literally disappear. It is extremely aparant when doing a direct comparison vs Jolene.
I'll agree that it's a pretty big scoop, it's quite possible that I havent had a track that runs into the issue or I don't have any genres where that becomes apparent.

Inversely the upper mid scoop on the Jolene is super apparent to me to the point where it sounds off to me.

Just hearing things I guess

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 59
"Couple of days" ended up being more a week. But my current demo list incoming in a bit.

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #20 of 59
My (16 track currently) demo track list is finally live!

I may add tracks as recommended by others or myself over time, so this is a live post. I have a short description for each track that may not be as nuanced as some others put, so I'll make do with quips here and there.

Enjoy!

SNSD
Galaxy Supernova
Into the New World

I generally use these tracks for treble, simply because of how much there is on both tracks. Galaxy Supernova is mostly for treble energy and sparkle to see how close to my limits (or my minimal tolerance) an iem can go. Into the New World is more for general treble extension. Also I refuse to call them Girls Generation as an OG fan.

Taeyeon
11:11
Feel So Fine

My second (but also arguably tied for first) favourite female vocalist. Taengoo's voice goes high, but lacks the power and is dependant on having air in the upper mid/lower treble region to sound the best. These 2 tracks are used exclusive for the upper mids/lower treble region. When I comment in the upper mids in it directly correlates an iem's ability do her voice justice. An iem might not have the bump of the DMagic or Odin, but as long as I can enjoy both tracks without thinking that something sounds wrong, I would consider the upper mids non recessed.

SCANDAL
Oyasumi
Kagen no Tsuki

As they both contain stretches that slowly build up to portions that can get super busy and congested at times, I use both to test for the imaging capabilites of an iems. @Precogvision I can hear you snickering from here, you can stop laughing cause I'm going to elaborate. More accurately, I'm testing for the positional accuracy and layering of the instruments. IEMs where I'm unable to make out either/or would have unacceptable "imaging" for me. I'm not asking for Fourte or Odin here and make it effortless, but with minimal concentration I should be able to pick out each instrument and where it is on the stage during those sections.

A-Lin
算了吧
分手需要練習的

The other half of my tied favourite female vocalist. A Lin has a lot more power belting up the range and sings in the full range. I use her for a more comphrehensive evaluation of the mids rather than just the upper mids. I've been listening to her longer than Taeyeon as well so intimately familiar is descrbing it mildly.

For King & Country
- God Only Knows

They really like drums, really really like drumbs. You'll know what I mean if you've seen them perform live. Unfortunately for my bass preferences, the iems I listen usually have some sort of recession in the lower mids area and a pretty early bass shelf where the mid bass just doesn't get to fully expand. Any sort of early bass shelf/ lower mids recession iem must be able to pass this track. Joel and Luke can also sing fairly high for male vocals and this is a bonus for me to test the limits of male vocals

Hillsong United
Oceans
Here's to the One

For the former: Taya Smith can sing high, but has a quieter/more laid back voice. The track is also much slower and drawn out that doesn't get too busy with the instrumentals. I use this to pick up the forwardness of the vocals and that interaction with the rest of the frequencies.

For the latter: JD's voice is fairly quiet as well, and the way this track is mastered allows for his vocals to be easily drowned out by the mid bass if the lower mid recession is too much. This similar to the track above, this is the second test for a lower mids recesion.

Matt Maher - Your Love Defends Me
Auston French - Wake Up Sleeper

Both tracks are vocals with a solo piano. My ears are hiss detectors and any hiss I can hear during these tracks means an iem is going out regardless of the rest of it's parts. Additionaly I use it to determine background darkness, boths tracks sound exceptionally on dark backgrounds (as do most solo piano tracks I would think)

Switch - Symphony

Mid bass sensitivity. That's it. This track is mastered in particular way where something as simple as source synergy (or lack of) can easily put the mid bass representation beyond what my ears can handle. This might necessitate a cable swap or off the RME ADI-2 to give the iem another go. But if I can't tweak if back down, it's gotta go.

Skillet
Finish Line
The Resistance

You need a strong baseline to test the bass and Skillet has LOT of it (That and I'm a huge Jen Ledger fan). Sub bass extension, bass speed and decay, bleed (it it exists), balance with the rest of the signature are all things that I use for these tracks. Also, John Cooper has a fairly deep voice that does tend to get overtaken by the bass at times. The clarity of his vocals despite the heavy bass line is a key point for me.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #21 of 59
Impressions: Final A8000 (A8K)

Preamble: Despite being the flagship single DD, the A8000 was actually my second Final ToTL. This was mostly due to an long outstanding misunderstanding of what dark and bright were describing in terms of an iemg signature. I would use dark to describe the background of an iem and I associated bright with warmth. That and I thought I was treble sensitive when in fact it was Dio (Well no, I was just a treble head). @riverground can attest to the hilarity that ensued, I swear I can still hear the laughter when I asked about those terms. OFC this misunderstanding allowed me to hear some of the best and most interesting kilobucks iems on my way to finding my signature. It also saved me quite a bit of dough on acquiring the A8K thanks to @fzman reaching out when I expressed interest in hearing the A8K post SK testing.

Design: The A8K's shell has one glaring downfall: the sharp edge on the rear of the unit housing possibly digging into the back of your concha depending on it's size. the lacquer on the SK affords some better protection than the A8K and I strongly insist demoing before buying to make sure it's not an issue. Per the SK, I had no issues and the shell sat perfectly in my ears. The set of replaceable nozzle screen and the mmcx assist tool in the box are probably the best and most useful accessories to come with a ToTL iem for me in a while. The A8000 is extremely prone to being a fingerprint magnet and picking up micro scratches lacking the SK's lacquer protection and I recommend babying the unit, despite the best of intentions, micro scratches are impossible to avoid. Better to think of it as a testament that you've kept it long enough to pick up those micro scratches.

Testing: I went right to Radius Deepmounts out of the box and ignored the Type E, again. I wouldn't call the A8K hard to drive as it sounds fine off the 1A's 3.5 and 4.4 on low gain. But it sounds like a completely different (albeit still very good sounding) iem between low and high gain off both outputs. On low gain I put it at 55 and 45 in high gain off the WM1A. I quite liked the stock cable so initial impressions were done off the 3.5 than reviewed once I acquire it in 4.4.

Sound: A8K and the SK both have a very interesting contrast in the actual bass signature compared to how they graph. The graph for the SK would indicate a clear mid-bass bias, but upon listening has a very clear sub bass bias. Which I like...a lot. I have no idea how Final did that, but hats off to that. Sub bass extension is excellent, it goes deep when needed. While the mid bass has excellent slam and impact with no bleed at all into the mids with a clean bass shelf. The A8K manages to do all of this and still have a balanced cohesive bass presentation, maintaining that texture and resolution offered by a DD without the slowness. Again Beryllium is just magic, I'll need to try the Dunu Luna one day.

It's an established fact (Between me and some members outside of the forums) that I kinda roll my eyes and contemplate a heated response everytime someone posts about amazing and emotional the Elysium's mids are. It really doesn't do it for me, and needing a source that imposes that kind of signature on it just doesn't sit well with me. But ymmy and all that. In the A8K, I've found the one iem that truly does emotional mids to me. While the Fourte is close, the A8K blows it away. The overloaded lower treble just gives the mids something extra that no other iem does for me. In fact while putting the A8K through it's paces, I put some Asian pop that got me through some difficult moments after ending a long but toxic relationship. While the I enjoyed how they were presented on many iems, it didn't really move me. The A8K somehow tears that I had long thought dried up. And thats when I knew this was staying.While the graphs indicate a clear bias towards female vocals, the A8K sounds balanced but in a way inversely to the SK. Through that overloaded treble despite not having as much body or focus, male vocals don't sound lacking in anyway. Mids are clear and forward, but never too forward walking in lockstep with the bass and treble to form a cohesive whole. Despite all that, the A8K above all is a bright iem and the upper mids might get to some. And that's before we get to the treble.

Like the SK, the A8K has a very interesting treble as well. Both graph similarly, but while the SK takes it a couple of steps and lets the air in the stage refine the sound, the A8K doesn't try to hide what it is and goes out full force. There's excellent extension coupled with energy and sparkle but not fatiguing, very similar to the Wraith. The amount of treble of the graph looks frightening, especially for those with treble sensitivities and for those people I insist that you demo. For me, the treble was excellent and I had no issues at all. I think that outside of the usual 5 and 7k peaks for sparkle and upper mid harmonics, most of the treble is actually used the harmonics of the bass and mids to give that emotion I hear and love so much than a tangible wall of energy. Unlike the SK, where the presentation will sit very well even for those with treble sensitivities, the A8K is a treblehead iem through and through.

Conclusion: I stayed away from the A8K through a misunderstanding of my preferences and when I did get time with it, it came very close to upsetting the Odin as my favourite. While not as grand as the skyfather in terms of soundstage width, depth and height or as effortless as the skyfather images busy passages, the A8K does excellent in all of those categories. Rivaling the U/A12t as one of my must have/try for the price bracket, might I dare say it has a slight edge over the 12t with the unique treble tuning despite an upper treble roll off when compared to the Tia high. Which makes the SK to me rather disappointing in comparison, the two are just so different and one ticks all the boxes I had and added in a little bit extra. The biggest flaw with the A8K (the only one I would argue) is the treble. It's fundamental to the tuning of the A8K and it's astounding how well controlled it is. While I have no issues with treble, this simply might not be the iem for those with treble sensitivities.

However, treble sensitivities need not kill A8K dreams. For those where the treble is a minor annoyance, changing out the stock SPC for a copper might be enough for you. Going from the stock to a larger gauge SPC boosted the mid bass too much and the treble became too much for even my treblehead tendencies. Personally the stock SPC is probably the best stock cable I've heard to date through 4 years in this hobby so I recommend sticking with it if you can. For those where the treble is more of an annoyance, I found the A8K not hard to drive. In low gain, the A8K becomes a different animal: a darker version of itself still retaining good energy and sparkle in the treble, a 12t slightly boosted in the treble I would say. And unlike estat hybrids like the Wraith, not "having enough power" wasn't an issue because at lower power the A8K still has an excellent presentation, albeit in a different vein.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #22 of 59
Impressions: MMR Balmung

Preamble: As most of us here know, Joseph Mou's iem empire has expanded to Jomo and MMR becoming the custom and universal branches (respectively). Having no prior experience (or easy access) with this maestro's work, the appearance of MMR's latest flagship tier release in the hands of a Canadian was too much to pass off. This warranted the first significant shift in my collection in almost a year (A geologic era in Headfi terms, I know) to acquire it. Not to say that I wasn't sorely tempted based on the fine photography of @ryanjsoo and the marketing images from MMR between the monitors and custom designed Eletech cable. However, I wasn't about to drop $2700 on an iem of a brand that I had no previous listening experience from. Much thanks to @mvvRAZ for not liking this and @riverground's ears being just the wrong shape for them thus making these impressions happen.

Design: In the pictures, the Balmung is more of a jewellery statement piece ala that Noble diamond encrusted "thing" at the HKAV show. In person though they are a bit more underwhelming. It clearly falls into the "photographs better than it actually looks" category. Don't get me wrong, it can and does look amazing, but that requires specific light conditions that more often have to be artificially induced as opposed to natural light. I personally have yet to get a good photo myself. Though it does mean that it won't attract unwanted attention on the go.

The nozzles are fairly long before the lip for the tips and are slightly angled forward, but should work well with most ears. I've had no issue so far and the design seems to ensure that there are no pressure points that built up despite having metal shells ensuring longer listening sessions are not issues.

They include Acoustone stone stock tips! (I just really like those)

Full points to Eletech for the physical design of the hardware on the stock cable playing so well into the design of the monitors. From the flat 2 pin connectors to the chonky y-split and the 4.4 plug shaped like a sword hilt, this is the first stock cable I've tried where it plays so well into the design of the iem in terms of looks and aesthetics. Eric has mentioned that the choice of wire is not the SPC being used in the Prudence, so this isn't just a hardware swap on an existing cable. I really have to applauded that as well, as it pairs extremely well to produce an incredible stock sound and still look pretty! So far this is the second iem that I've heard where I haven't wanted to replace the stock cable immediately.

Testing: Despite the stock Acoustone tips , I opted to go stright for the Radius Deepmounts as usual. They're pretty easy to drive and I had them at 55 on low gain of the 4.4 of the WM1A. Balmung does pick up some hiss, but is closer to the Odin's levels with the hiss only being evident in extremely quiet environments and no issue at all when the music starts or on tracks with darker backgrounds.

Sound: I LOVE VENTED BA BASS DRIVERS! There have been a lot of release lately using vented BA drivers, but the Balmung is the first model where I've heard them being used in the bass. I suspect those might be similar to the in house BAs that Sony uses on the M7/M9 as they do move a lot more air than standard bass BAs in the bass region. It doesn't give the bass texture and decay of a DD, but it does increase the volume of air that BAs can move while retaining the qualities of BA. Like the M9/7 it comes fairly close to DD bass standards whilst retaining the benefits of BA bass (For those of use that like it).

Balmung has a clear mid-bass bias and pack a lot of slam, leading to a very fun bass that isn't fatiguing to me. It has good sub bass extension that exists when called for, but just simply doesn't dig as deep as the Odin. The bass has good warmth and body without being bloated or bleeding. The most impressive feat is that despite a cutoff into the lower mids to prevent that, Joseph has managed to use that warmth and body to add colouration into the mids despite the Balmung being a brighter iem.

I LOVE VENTED BA MIDS... Okay I already did that before, but really I'm surprised that Joseph went with vented mid drivers as well. I have to admit that it works very well. The mids are fairly forward and could be called the star of the show....and not at the same time. When combined with the colouration from the bass, they convey emotion really well. Dare I say, even better than the A8000 does. Despite the lower mids dipping, I heard no recession in the male vocals. In fact there was a bit of body and thickness that I didn't expect. Females vocals are exactly where they're suppose to be and are not exaggerated as other tunings might do. The upper mids are excellent and are perfect for my preferences, and despite the forwardness don't become shouty. However for those sensitive to the upper mids, the forwardness of the vocals in combination with the upper mids might be too much for you.

How many treble drivers does this thing have? 4 Tweeters AND 2 mid high drivers?! That's a lottttttttt of drivers. I was surprised at how many drivers were dedicated to the highs on the Balmung, because they definitely do not give that feel. The Balmung's treble has plenty of energy and good amounts of sparkle, as I was coming from the Wraith prior, I initially put down Balmung as not having enough sparkle as I would like. Giving it another try after a couple days awy from Wraith gave a better picture. Balmung doesn't lack in sparkle, rather chooses to dial it back to give the perception of more energy. This makes for a very pleasant listen especially for those with that 5K sensitivity.

Conclusion: I called the Balmung's mids " could be called the star of the show....and not at the same time ". And even after almost a week of listening I still find myself at a loss of what to classify the Balmung as. It has imaging worthy of a flagship and handles my busiest track without a sweat, but there are some very unique things that it does that no other iem does as well as it does. IE. The mids are forward, but also the overall signature is incredibly balanced. Joseph has crafted such a unique iem, that when you think finally have a grasp on it with a certain track, you move on to the next one and you're left to pick up your thoughts again and at times feels paradoxical. There are 3 specific things I did notice:

1. Positional cues. The Balmung has incredible positional cues, and that was the first thing that I noticed during a short demo when I picked it up. After further listening, this seems to be only possible with the incredible width of the Balmung. With the mids firmly centre in the image and the instruments to the left and right, it leaves an incredible amount of space for sounds to come in from their respective side, allow you to pinpoint those with ease. This is easily the easiest to identify and most unique aspect of the Balmung.

2. Emotional mids. The A8000 ended up leaving my collection for the very reason that I also liked it so much: The boosted treble that make for every emotional mids. Unfortunately this kind of presentation ends up taking away from the bass and lower mids. When sticking to a certain artist or album this is less evident, but is much more evident when just shuffling through everyday listen. The Balmung manages to convey emotion in the mids without utilzing an overloaded treble making a much better all rounder.

3. Warmth and Body. Make no mistake, the Balmung is a relatively bright monitor. But Joseph has managed to coax warmth and body into the signature whilst maintaining balance, but without taking away that brightness that it has.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 59
Minor Updates:

Fourte and Shichiku Kangen impressions have been posted into reviews.

A8K and Balmung should be up in the next few days.

QDC Anole V14 hopefully the middle of next week.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 59
Minor Updates:

A8K and Balmung impressions have been posted into reviews. (With tweaks ofc)

Hoping to have V14 soon.

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #25 of 59
V14 impressions are written, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Evo jumped the queue and will be out later tonight.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #26 of 59
Impressions: Empire Ears Evo

Preamble: My love for the Empire Ears brand is well known at this point, between my incessant outbursts as @riverground can attest to and my ownership of 8 of their items in the kilobuck and above range in the 4 years I've been at this hobby. This might be a feat only surpassed by @CL14715 with more in a shorter period of time. My disdain for the LX is also fairly well known outside of the forum and I was extremely weary as the LX was reference in the blurb Empire dropped. Of course, this was my same reaction to the Odin and look at how that turned out... So of course, it necessitated a visit to the Canadian dealer of Empire a week after the demo unit arrived to see for myself (and give the LX yet another chance to redeem itself). Shoutout to Charles @ Headfoneshop for giving me and @riverground 2 hours between the 2 of us with Evo (and also tempting us with more gear), all around great guy, go help fund his daughter's education y'all fellow Canucks!

I was extremely pleased that my reaction was the same as the Odin, the LX on the other hand...Ehhhhh. But that's another story. Long story short, the Evo is what happens with Jack and Dean turn their Odinizing beam on the LX: something that invokes the pleasant parts of the LX, but something also...different.

Design: Compared to the bling of the Bifrost on the Odin, the Evo takes a classier route with a well designed logo representing both the brand and the model name. The Evo won't be turning any heads if you're mad enough to take it out on the go. I found it similar to Odin if no the same shells, and both sat in my earlets perfectly fine. They're still the lipless stems Empire is known for, so a minor point off for that as it's nowhere as egregious as being off a couple EVs playing competitive. Despite it's sensitivity, there is no hiss at all. The Evo is silent off the 4.4 even on high gain, a welcome addition given how distracting for me the hiss on the Wraith was. For those off you where the notorious Empire driver flex causes your stomach to lurch. I'm pleased to say that the Evo has significantly less driver flex than DD equipped Empire models of yore. Whether this is due to the venting on the Evo or Empire figuring something out, I hope this is something they can carry forward. The leather case would have been nice as a standard for all Evos, the dealer demo didn't come with that anyways. Big thumbs up to Empire going with 4.4 for the stock cable.

The purple sheen on the Genesis cable is an excellent match aesthetic wise to go with the mature and demure Evo. it's an excellent stock cable and the only issue I have was with how chonky the new hardware PWA uses was compared to the wires themselves, but that's an issue with them and not Empire. I'm sure Dean has his reasons for a stock copper cable, but my experience with the LX and Evo I both concluded that both would be better served to my ears with a warmer silver than pure copper.

Testing: Radius Deepmounts by default, they had no issue staying on the stem and I got a good insertion to make sure the WX was coming across fine. I had the 1A at 35 on high gain off the 4.4. Similar to the Wraith, it does need a bit of power to be driven properly, yet incredibly sensitive. I also tried on the standard 55 on low gain, and while the Evo is mostly fine it does seem to take a hit in musicality. The 1A outputs sufficient driving power in case anyone is concerned about "moar powuh".

Sound: BASS is what the LX is known for and what the Evo invokes: A visceral bass that borders on guilty pleasure territory. A deep rattle that you can feel in your fillings with excellent slam and impact. But that's where it starts and ends. Unlike the bass cannon reputation of the LX, the Evo exudes control as well as quantity in the low frequencies with a clean bass shelf that eliminates any bleed. If anything, this is the Odin's bass, but with quantity added to the control that we've already seen. I like to say that this is Empire showing their mastery over the W9+ iteration of DD's but this could equally be due to the WX's addition. Either way a fun iteration of the Odin's bass is an excellent start to a new TOTL and something I've been waiting for post-Odin honeymoon.

I would like to say that the mids are forward. But even in comparison to the Odin, the mids on the Evo are slightly recessed. Of course the bass being so clean, this is not an issue. Even with the bass firing on all cylinders, vocals still come across clearly and are never drowned out. I had no issues with the upper mids "bump", for those who had issues with the Odin there should find the Evo to be a superior match for their ears. The overall recession of the mids allows for more air without pushing female vocals into shouty territory. The Evo despite being a darker sounding iem easily has my favourite upper mid signature amongst the dark iems I've heard to date.

The mids is also where you hear the WX driver doing it's magic yet again. I noticed 2 distinct things that the Evo does. First: Despite the recession, the mids have excellent body. Normally this is achieved through colouration of the mids by warmth in the mid and upper bass ala Balmung. The fact that Evo can do this despite the bass shelf is astounding. Second: The reverb of string instruments on the Evo are unlike anything else I've ever heard on an iem. It's very difficult to describe and something you have to hear for yourself. This also makes the Evo incredible for listening to live and acoustic recordings,

Treble wise, the Evo is a mixed bag for me. It does what dark and bassy iems tend to do: Excellent energy but little sparkle. Taken in a vacuum or treble heavy tracks, the treble feels unbalanced and a bit fatiguing for me at times. I also noticed the lack of sparkle makes high hats and cymbals sound slightly off for me. This is probably the one place I actually found the LX taking an advantage over the Evo. Despite the lack of sparkle, I found extension well done, no doubt another feat of the WX.

Conclusion: As initial impressions trickled out following the arrival of Evo's into consumer hands, there seemed to be a lot of disappointment on the Empire thread that the Evo was not a LX successor despite Empire never having marketed the Evo as an upgrade to the LX , as well as Jack's comment earlier this year that an LX upgrade was not in the works. While the memory of the Hero being "Odin Jr" is still fresh in my mind, Empire has been very consistent as to what the Evo is and isn't. The LX was already at the pinnacle of bass cannon iems, and there's not much you can improve there. Instead they took the inspiration and ended up with an "Evo"lution of the LX: a fun but balanced iem where the technicalities are also allowed to shine without the bass hogging the spotlight. I could only find 1 area where I found the LX "better" than the Evo and I much rather take the Evo where it can show off it's imaging and soundstage chops while being simultaneously fun. To me, the Evo is a more fun and less technical interation of the Odin and I wouldn't have it any other way. Well done (again) Empire!

The full review is definitely getting Pokemon references, it would be a shame to not :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #27 of 59
Impressions: Empire Ears Evo

Preamble: My love for the Empire Ears brand is well known at this point, between my incessant outbursts as @riverground can attest to and my ownership of 8 of their items in the kilobuck and above range in the 4 years I've been at this hobby. This might be a feat only surpassed by @CL14715 with more in a shorter period of time. My disdain for the LX is also fairly well known outside of the forum and I was extremely weary as the LX was reference in the blurb Empire dropped. Of course, this was my same reaction to the Odin and look at how that turned out... So of course, it necessitated a visit to the Canadian dealer of Empire a week after the demo unit arrived to see for myself (and give the LX yet another chance to redeem itself). Shoutout to Charles @ Headfoneshop for giving me and @riverground 2 hours between the 2 of us with Evo (and also tempting us with more gear), all around great guy, go help fund his daughter's education y'all fellow Canucks!

I was extremely pleased that my reaction was the same as the Odin, the LX on the other hand...Ehhhhh. But that's another story. Long story short, the Evo is what happens with Jack and Dean turn their Odinizing beam on the LX: something that invokes the pleasant parts of the LX, but something also...different.

Design: Compared to the bling of the Bifrost on the Odin, the Evo takes a classier route with a well designed logo representing both the brand and the model name. The Evo won't be turning any heads if you're mad enough to take it out on the go. I found it similar to Odin if no the same shells, and both sat in my earlets perfectly fine. They're still the lipless stems Empire is known for, so a minor point off for that as it's nowhere as egregious as being off a couple EVs playing competitive. Despite it's sensitivity, there is no hiss at all. The Evo is silent off the 4.4 even on high gain, a welcome addition given how distracting for me the hiss on the Wraith was. For those off you where the notorious Empire driver flex causes your stomach to lurch. I'm pleased to say that the Evo has significantly less driver flex than DD equipped Empire models of yore. Whether this is due to the venting on the Evo or Empire figuring something out, I hope this is something they can carry forward. The leather case would have been nice as a standard for all Evos, the dealer demo didn't come with that anyways. Big thumbs up to Empire going with 4.4 for the stock cable.

The purple sheen on the Genesis cable is an excellent match aesthetic wise to go with the mature and demure Evo. it's an excellent stock cable and the only issue I have was with how chonky the new hardware PWA uses was compared to the wires themselves, but that's an issue with them and not Empire. I'm sure Dean has his reasons for a stock copper cable, but my experience with the LX and Evo I both concluded that both would be better served to my ears with a warmer silver than pure copper.

Testing: Radius Deepmounts by default, they had no issue staying on the stem and I got a good insertion to make sure the WX was coming across fine. I had the 1A at 35 on high gain off the 4.4. Similar to the Wraith, it does need a bit of power to be driven properly, yet incredibly sensitive. I also tried on the standard 55 on low gain, and while the Evo is mostly fine it does seem to take a hit in musicality. The 1A outputs sufficient driving power in case anyone is concerned about "moar powuh".

Sound: BASS is what the LX is known for and what the Evo invokes: A visceral bass that borders on guilty pleasure territory. A deep rattle that you can feel in your fillings with excellent slam and impact. But that's where it starts and ends. Unlike the bass cannon reputation of the LX, the Evo exudes control as well as quantity in the low frequencies with a clean bass shelf that eliminates any bleed. If anything, this is the Odin's bass, but with quantity added to the control that we've already seen. I like to say that this is Empire showing their mastery over the W9+ iteration of DD's but this could equally be due to the WX's addition. Either way a fun iteration of the Odin's bass is an excellent start to a new TOTL and something I've been waiting for post-Odin honeymoon.

I would like to say that the mids are forward. But even in comparison to the Odin, the mids on the Evo are slightly recessed. Of course the bass being so clean, this is not an issue. Even with the bass firing on all cylinders, vocals still come across clearly and are never drowned out. I had no issues with the upper mids "bump", for those who had issues with the Odin there should find the Evo to be a superior match for their ears. The overall recession of the mids allows for more air without pushing female vocals into shouty territory. The Evo despite being a darker sounding iem easily has my favourite upper mid signature amongst the dark iems I've heard to date.

The mids is also where you hear the WX driver doing it's magic yet again. I noticed 2 distinct things that the Evo does. First: Despite the recession, the mids have excellent body. Normally this is achieved through colouration of the mids by warmth in the mid and upper bass ala Balmung. The fact that Evo can do this despite the bass shelf is astounding. Second: The reverb of string instruments on the Evo are unlike anything else I've ever heard on an iem. It's very difficult to describe and something you have to hear for yourself. This also makes the Evo incredible for listening to live and acoustic recordings,

Treble wise, the Evo is a mixed bag for me. It does what dark and bassy iems tend to do: Excellent energy but little sparkle. Taken in a vacuum or treble heavy tracks, the treble feels unbalanced and a bit fatiguing for me at times. I also noticed the lack of sparkle makes high hats and cymbals sound slightly off for me. This is probably the one place I actually found the LX taking an advantage over the Evo. Despite the lack of sparkle, I found extension well done, no doubt another feat of the WX.

Conclusion: As initial impressions trickled out following the arrival of Evo's into consumer hands, there seemed to be a lot of disappointment on the Empire thread that the Evo was not a LX successor despite Empire never having marketed the Evo as an upgrade to the LX , as well as Jack's comment earlier this year that an LX upgrade was not in the works. While the memory of the Hero being "Odin Jr" is still fresh in my mind, Empire has been very consistent as to what the Evo is and isn't. The LX was already at the pinnacle of bass cannon iems, and there's not much you can improve there. Instead they took the inspiration and ended up with an "Evo"lution of the LX: a fun but balanced iem where the technicalities are also allowed to shine without the bass hogging the spotlight. I could only find 1 area where I found the LX "better" than the Evo and I much rather take the Evo where it can show off it's imaging and soundstage chops while being simultaneously fun. To me, the Evo is a more fun and less technical interation of the Odin and I wouldn't have it any other way. Well done (again) Empire!

The full review is definitely getting Pokemon references, it would be a shame to not :wink:
Nice. Thanks for the shout out 🤣

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #30 of 59
^^^ totally agree with the hi-hats or any cymbal. LX has more air and sparkle and as i have mentioned its a fine line between i need more and i am ok with it being what it is. Considering how good everything else is.

Nice write-up.
Definitely difficult for me to pick up on the LX with the bass bleeding over for me. But my first track for testing the Evo, it definitely felt off.

It's hard to get right, I've tried some iems with the same response in the 5k area, but had complete different cymbals and high hats coming across. Treble is hard

Very nice, I only got half an hour but for the most part aligns with my impressions of it too. Honestly still prefer the Odin out of the entire active EE line up though.
Probably 2 hours of burn in at most so far, ask Charles to ping you when he gets 200+ demo hours on it XD

You should ask Charles if you can try the Scorates on his demo, it's a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back