Kuro's Reviews, Impressions and Shootouts
Nov 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #46 of 59
Well, I’m glad that @riverground is applying the pressure. 🤣

You are much more methodical in writing your reviews than I am … which is a good thing. 😉 I, on the other hand, trust on the universe to guide me in my writing. I take several days after listening to a review subject to ponder what I heard and how I’m going to write the review. Then I get my laptop out and retrieve any photos I want to use, links I want to add, album covers if need be, and start organizing the page in my mind.

Once I get the first sentence out, it just all flows out of me as if I’m a conduit for the universe. It’s a magical feeling. But sometimes I get stuck and can’t think of a good opening sentence, and that is when the difficulty comes about. It’s really hard sometimes.

Anyway, keep doing what you do, I do find it enjoyable to read. ✌️
He's a great friend, both within and outside of the hobby. He's also my biggest enabler at this point.

I get what you mean. sometimes it just flows. IE the Balmung review essentially came out of a random google search for norse mythology and I got that out in about 6 hours of writing. It tends to go in spurts for me, sometimes I'll just sit down and write a chunk of the review. Writer's block is real!

Enjoying your reviews Kuro. For me it depends on the product. A quick review for a smaller product is usually a few listens, some descriptions of the obvious stuff, and maybe 3-4 hours of solid writing. Then photos, editing, proofing and publishing.

For a major review, like the latest EVO review, that's a project in and of itself. Once burn-in is done, it's at least a week or two of regular listening to get a 'feel' for it and get over the honeymoon phase. Then another few days of comparative listening. Then the writing starts, usually with the 'easy part' (what it is, what's in the box etc.), before embarking on a series of focused listening and note-taking for the body of the review, which can take up to two full days of writing. Editing is another day, photos another. If I had to monetize the hours spent I'd be pulling in more than my full-time salary, but I enjoy it so much more! 😁

Keep writing and sharing.
When I started, my goal was to cut out what I found repetitive or even not as useful to me in a review so I focus most of my time on the writing and less of what I consider fluff. Everyone has their style, and a consistent result make it a treat for repeat readers, plus I do enjoy macro shots of iems, even if I'm completely horrendous at them myself!

I can see how something like the Evo might scale in terms of magnitude. Personally, I've opted to keep everything on the same scale so the readers get a consistent description of what I hear relative to different gear. Being too overly in depth might throw that off. For one, I'm on the fence about burn in so I take what I hear as is, and I hit the ground running. I might hold back if I feel uncertain about something or something sounds particularly off and have more tries with it over time (like the Wraith and Phantom). I am open to revisions and addendums down the line for consistency's sake if my preferences have shifted or I've gotten a better grasp on describing something.

@riverground can attest to my demo process, I think he's still befuddled at how I do it. That Stealth review though was done by the time I got to the store though!

Glad folks are enjoying the reviews! Certainly means the effort is worth it.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #47 of 59
Writer's block is hard, V14 full review is up, but not much of a theme. Chameleon's are hard to write about.

Updated my Top 10 List. Some shifting has occured post Evo demo.

Hopefully Softears RSV, CFA Solaris 2020 and Ara go up soon.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #48 of 59
Writer's block is hard, V14 full review is up, but not much of a theme. Chameleon's are hard to write about.

Updated my Top 10 List. Some shifting has occured post Evo demo.

Hopefully Softears RSV, CFA Solaris 2020 and Ara go up soon.
would love to hear your thoughts on Solaris 2020 (since I have reviewed that one too, and it's a pretty unique sound signature!) :)

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #49 of 59
Just throwing this out there as I bang out my RSV review.

As my impressions have mostly been a watered down version of my full reviews, I've contemplating changing the format of my impressions going forward.

Impressions will now be the point form notes that I've taken from the demo session with the iem question rather than a fully formatted mini review. This should hopefully get my impressions out sooner and make the review process much easier.

Thoughts?

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #50 of 59
Ran into a 3 month long writer's block that left the RSV review half finished. It's finally up now.

Still hoping to do my love letter to the A12t. Solaris 2020 is still on the block. Might skip Ara

FiR Xe Series and VE Phonix/EXT are probably closer to summer as those are the demos.

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #51 of 59
I’m looking forward to your review of the FiR Xe6. I’m very intrigued by that one.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #52 of 59
Just throwing this out there as I bang out my RSV review.

As my impressions have mostly been a watered down version of my full reviews, I've contemplating changing the format of my impressions going forward.

Impressions will now be the point form notes that I've taken from the demo session with the iem question rather than a fully formatted mini review. This should hopefully get my impressions out sooner and make the review process much easier.

Thoughts?
I’ve generally found impressions that are short and clear to be the most desirable format - I tend to read reviews and long paragraphs diagonally, so it’s quite helpful when it’s bullet points only

Can’t wait to see you tear the Xe6 apart :frowning2:

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #53 of 59
Been a while since anything happened here.

Things slowed down when I had to cut back spending

Things started flowing when I found work

Then I flipped the entire table and in an entirely different direction

I heard some great gear and also missed some gear completely

Because you have all the time in the world and no money or all the money and no time to spend it

Updates in Progress:
Demo Track List > No Change
Ranking List > Updated
List of heard gear > Updated

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #54 of 59
Notes on Ranking List Updates

Added:
MEST Indigo > Slight Overpriced, but a more balanced take for Bone Conduction sets
AK Pathfinder > AK seems to have a stride after the Solaris X, first the Zero 1 then the Pathfinder. Best DD mid implementation I've heard yet
64 Audio A18s >slightly brighter version of the Bird to my ears. And to boot, I sold Bird to fund it and had money left over

Removed:
64 Audio Fourte > Technical masterpiece, but ended up being a tad too bright for my tastes over time. I wasn't going to be dropping on the warm DAP that I'd need for this
QDC V14 >Incredibly similar to the A12t but with estat highs. Tad bit warmer though
VE8 > Thinking back to that timbre still sends tingles down my spine. It made the list even though it was too dark for my preference. Finding more iems that I've liked is what pushed it off. Still VE's greatest piece to date.

No Change:
Top 4, I think it's going to take a while before this shifts, even with all the big drops at the last quarter of 22, nothing has really come close. There are essentially my benchmarks for the respective driver setups.

Down the List:

MMR Balmung > Aesthetics aside, a pure BA vented design is considered innovation. And the pinpoint imaging is something I have yet to hear in another iem
A8000 > Still the benchmark for a single DD flagship. Only issue really is age and more hybrid/ pure BA designs entering my list.
Z1R > Sony still has it. Doesn't fit my ears very well, scratches if you look at it. Hard to drive. Still one of the best low driver counts, a bit too fun for me, but I put it alongside the Fourte and M4.

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #55 of 59
Welcome back from the future 🤭

1673408863535.png

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #56 of 59
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #57 of 59
Small Revision: Removed any sort of order from my ranking list. Going forward with just an unordered list. Lists are subjective anyways,

Trailli, EXT, Phonix, MEST Indigo, Jewel, Multiverse Mentor, AK Pathfinder are planned for impressions + reviews

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #58 of 59
MM Impressions

Design:
  • Semi-custom universal fit works fine, but a bit heavier and bigger in size to the Indigo. Nozzles are on the thicker side of things, and my left ear didn't like it too much
  • Some QC issues, there shouldn't be glue remnants on something of this caliber
  • Ladybug faceplates..that is all
  • Deep of Universe. Someone please ban Peter Wong from any sort of translation software
  • Shells do feel well built and solid

Sound:
  • Mid bass is incredibly fun and punchy. Suffers in sub bass extension unfortunately. There's more trace of some ancient civilizations than the sub extension on the Mentor. On more sub bass focused tracks, this is immediately evident.
  • Fortunately a bit of warmth going into the lower mids, giving something similar to the Balmung
  • Smooth treble with good sparkle, a little bit too smooth for my liking. Would have like some more upper treble extension.
  • Fairly big stage and quite resolving. Imaging is lacking some precision, compared to others, sound feels diffuse and it's hard to pin point exactly where an instrument is on the stage. I don't dislike it, but I would have expected more at this tier than I got.
  • The mid forward presentation really benefits a lot of tracks. But gets intimate and crowded at times on certain tracks.
  • Y'all got any more upper mids? Unfortunately the tuning does invoke my inner upper mids fiend. Say the thing Kuro! "Sigh.... It needs more upper mids"
  • Warmer than I would like, excellent for long sessions though
  • It wasn't really evident whether the BCD was doing anything or even exists and sounded more like a pure BA setup
Concluding thoughts:
I found myself enjoying the Indigo much more than the MM. MM came across as an extremely high performing pure BA setup. But the BCD implementation does leave something to be desired when compared to Evo, MEST MKI and Indigo. Likewise, the forwardness of the mids and slight diffuseness in imaging are also reasons where I think the Indigo edges it out for me. It's definition a western aimed tuning.

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #59 of 59
Been trying to take it slow after a bit of burn out from the 22 Q4/23 Q1 season at work, and even more so with some possible health issues 😕 (stress related I believe)

My permanent collection changed yet again with the unceremonious booting of 64 from the roster. Crazy became a blind custom Rn6, second Odin and getting the Balmung.

Top 10 will be revised:

A12t will replaced with U12t
A18s getting dropped (maybe U18s if I get around to it)
Rn6 getting added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back