flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #34,486 of 39,414
It has arrived. :)

260A2D11-361E-4D45-9485-BF2C84E56037.jpeg
The wait has certainly paid off, judging from how awesome it looks :wink: if my request to customise wasn’t belated (thus rejected), I think I would choose bamboo with a gorgeous lake (the movie crouching tiger hidden dragon comes to mind). That kind of serene beauty reminds me of Traillii’s excellent coherence

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #34,487 of 39,414
Spotted bird challenger.. but the good news i heard it's not released in HK yet until next month. A successor for Erl.
Price 139000 NT (expected to be listed in mid-September)
https://www.facebook.com/visionears.tw/photos/a.213427525531372/1828383757369066/
vebird.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #34,488 of 39,414
EDIT: @LabelH beat me to the punch as I was writing this post, but here are a few more details on the VE Phonix... :D

Remember when I said the Erlkonig looked to be VE's last big money flagship for a while? I may have spoken too soon...

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 16.01.35.png

According to Facebook's translation of the post, the Phonix is based on the Erlkonig sonically, but it'll have "stronger" high frequencies for a better sensation of air. I assume that means greater treble extension. It'll have a CNC'ed carbon fibre shell, and you can choose between two colours for the trim around the faceplate: A flush black faceplate, or the gold one pictured there. Underneath both is the same red inlay with the gold logo. That leads me to believe that it won't have the Erlkonig's customisable tuning system, which may suggest that it'll come at a cheaper price. But, only time will tell.

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #34,489 of 39,414
Spotted bird challenger.. but the good news i heard it's not released until next month. successor for Erl.vebird.jpg
great lets see some Erl getting sold here for good prices, i am interested to get an Erl

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #34,491 of 39,414
Aug 5, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #34,492 of 39,414
EDIT: @LabelH beat me to the punch as I was writing this post, but here are a few more details on the VE Phonix... :D

Remember when I said the Erlkonig looked to be VE's last big money flagship for a while? I may have spoken too soon...

According to Facebook's translation of the post, the Phonix is based on the Erlkonig sonically, but it'll have "stronger" high frequencies for a better sensation of air. I assume that means greater treble extension. It'll have a CNC'ed carbon fibre shell, and you can choose between two colours for the trim around the faceplate: A flush black faceplate, or the gold one pictured there. Underneath both is the same red inlay with the gold logo. That leads me to believe that it won't have the Erlkonig's customisable tuning system, which may suggest that it'll come at a cheaper price. But, only time will tell.
So, $5K for this…but no mention of driver config in the post. Any thoughts on this? Perhaps the same as the Erkly?

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #34,493 of 39,414
So, $5K for this…but no mention of driver config in the post. Any thoughts on this? Perhaps the same as the Erkly?
Is the "139000" at the bottom referring to its price in Taiwanese Dollars? If so, then it indeed will come in at $5K. At that price, I sure hope they've kept the switchable signatures. :D I'm assuming the driver config will be very similar, considering they've advertised it as an IEM that's based on the Erlkonig. Perhaps, this is VE's attempt at turning the Erlkonig into a more available (or less limited) product by changing the shell material, and updating it at the same time.

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #34,495 of 39,414
IMG-20210805-WA0024.jpg

V

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #34,496 of 39,414

Nice! More intrigued with the EXT though since my priority has shifted towards headphone gears. I’m gonna replace Erlky with TC and wait for reviews on CRBN and Raal’s announcement on new headphone 😊

Anyways, if EXT’s tuning is indeed very good, I’ll probably get that in the future, would love to have that DD bass. We’ll see.

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #34,497 of 39,414
Nice! More intrigued with the EXT though since my priority has shifted towards headphone gears. I’m gonna replace Erlky with TC and wait for reviews on CRBN and Raal’s announcement on new headphone 😊

Anyways, if EXT’s tuning is indeed very good, I’ll probably get that in the future, would love to have that DD bass. We’ll see.
Hi what's the CRBN and also do we have any info on the new Raal headphone?

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #34,498 of 39,414
Hi what's the CRBN and also do we have any info on the new Raal headphone?
Oh it‘s the new estat from Audeze. As for Raal, they’re gonna announce the new circumaural ribbon headphone (as in normal headphone form factor vs. the open baffle SR1a).

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #34,500 of 39,414
I know this is the IEM thread but do you know what other TOTL headphones I should look out for?
If you’d like, we can continue this via PM so it won’t derail the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back