flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 9, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #29,912 of 39,414
Yes expensive. I have had these particular lenses for over 10 years and they are the real cost. Camera is not cheap by any means. Started with M9 in 2009, had this one for probably 6 years?

What I can say is I wasted a lot of money buying Nikon TOTL zoom lenses before I learned what suited me. Still like Nikon but had to learn the primes lesson the hard way. Leica taught me that, and came second in my journey. The pictures are amazing out of those lenses properly exposed and focused.

Not too different maybe than this audio gear learning.

Barnie getting big.
I have had my Canon 7D since it was first released, which was 2009 I believe. While I have two 'do it all' zoom lenses (17-55 f/2.8 and 100-400L), I realised years ago that I prefer primes. Just never got around to getting those and don't want to invest in EF/EF-S lenses now that Canon is committed to RF, so I might as well consider a new setup. The 7D will still serve me well and I might pick up a macro at some point anyway, but I would love something smaller and easier to take along without too many compromises. Realistically, I am thinking something from Fuji or Sony. I actually like having a camera with me when I go out with Barnie, but my Canon S95 has an almost harder time keeping up than my phone. 😅 I would also like to try my hand at documentary photography one day.

Yeah, Barnie is getting huge and when he gets excited it is starting to get a little intimidating. Nearly 50kg of pure joy storming at you. 😅

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #29,913 of 39,414
Y'all lunatics, we're not even anywhere close to finished with iems and now we're talking about cameras.

My wallet just doubled the temperature of the inferno it's currently in :p

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #29,914 of 39,414
I have the same ONA bag
It's one of the few items in that photo that are still with me lol

It's a very nice leather bag. Stands the test of time. It actually looks even better now that it's aged a bit.

Y'all lunatics, we're not even anywhere close to finished with iems and now we're talking about cameras.

My wallet just doubled the temperature of the inferno it's currently in :p

This hobby is making it so hard for me to save for a new camera tho lol

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #29,915 of 39,414
It's a very nice leather bag. Stands the test of time. It actually looks even better now that it's aged a bit.
I'm afraid to even google the price given what you said about your glory days. :p

My Fossil bag is falling apart after 6 years of commute, and I've downgraded to a Herschel satchel.

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #29,916 of 39,414
I never had a Leica myself. I really want to, but it is just too expensive. I was close to buying an M3 because I quite liked the idea of developing my own films and printing the old fashioned way. That was however shortly before leaving for London and that threw a spanner in the works.

On a different note. Alex just pointed out I have been neglecting the Barnie updates here. So here is a nearly 50kg update: 😁

Barnard is a beautiful boy!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #29,917 of 39,414
Oh, the stories I heard from manufacturers a few years ago when they used to travel across the globe to different CanJams while carrying multiple WM1Z bricks with them. Just think about the shape and the weight of WM1Z and what it resembles when going through luggage security x-ray, and how you have to explain that it is a DAP and not a magazine :D

With the wires, and the shape, it looks like a nice brick of C-4. If a coke can full of a similar substance could bring down an Egyptian Air flight, a brick that size would leave a debris trail of 20 miles!

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #29,918 of 39,414
@Wyville Can you put a banana or potato next to Barnie next time, so we can know how big he's gotten? :) Much love for Barnie

Apr 9, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #29,919 of 39,414
I'm afraid to even google the price given what you said about your glory days. :p

My Fossil bag is falling apart after 6 years of commute, and I've downgraded to a Herschel satchel.
I bought it for US$399 at that time I believe. It’s called the ONA x Leica Berlin II.

I also have the Billingham Hadley One which will make an appearance in this photo I’ll be releasing soon.

30B945E6-A5BE-4C94-AECC-C6B132B37900.jpeg

This one also retails for US$399.

Not cheap but not overly expensive I think 😂

Apr 9, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #29,920 of 39,414
Barnard is a beautiful boy!
And a bit crazy. This was him this morning...
20210409_110506.gif

He always does that there. I learned that while he was still on the lead. Now I know to let him off before he knows where we are. 🤣
@Wyville Can you put a banana or potato next to Barnie next time, so we can know how big he's gotten? :) Much love for Barnie
Sorry, Barnie ate the banana, so I took the nearest alternative...
Barnie_LPGT_snack.JPG

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #29,921 of 39,414
Barnie is adorable :heart_eyes:

also , those woods/forests i see in the background should be great for some psychedelic fun times :yin_yang:

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #29,922 of 39,414
20210409_110506.gif
He always does that there. I learned that while he was still on the lead. Now I know to let him off before he knows where we are. 🤣

Barnie_LPGT_snack.JPG
Looks like a bucking bronco...

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #29,923 of 39,414

He seems to be circling an area, think he's trying to tell you he found some treasure to help fund your full-size HP and photography curiosities!

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #29,924 of 39,414
He seems to be circling an area, think he's trying to tell you he found some treasure to help fund your full-size HP and photography curiosities!
Perhaps a 20 pound Truffle.

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #29,925 of 39,414
Perhaps a 20 pound Truffle.
Lol! 😅 That would be something! I still have tons of plans that need funding. 😁 Although I think it might be because that is how he learned it. Me in the centre trying to hold the lead and him circling around me like an idiot trying to make me lose my breakfast. 🤣

I have made a start with the headphones. I got the HD650 a while back and now I want something that kicks harder (moar bass) and something that is suited for classical. Based on the A8000, I am not actually adverse to trying out the Utopia. I am still adverse to paying for the Utopia, on account of Barnie literally eating away our savings with special dietary food, tons of treats and toys that last mere seconds when he sinks his teeth into them, but that is something I am working on as well (re-booting my academic career). And yes, the Auteur is on the wish list as well. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back