flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 28, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #25,471 of 39,414
I got a similar reply from Audeze last year about my B-Stock LCDi4 order. I asked if the Bluetooth Cipher cable was included with my order and they don’t have a way of knowing that.

However, they told me if my order didn’t have a Bluetooth Cipher cable in it, they are willing to ship one to me if I really needed it. It turns out, my order did come with both Cipher cables. Side note: the quality of the B-stock LCDi4 I got is just amazing. I seriously can’t tell this thing is B-stock besides little bits of excess glue on my IEMs, everything else was basically brand new, what a steal!
Same! I unfortunately had to sell off the LCDi4 because open-backs trigger my tinnitus + the niche use case, but their b stock was an absolute snag, especially for iPhone users.

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #25,472 of 39,414
Same! I unfortunately had to sell off the LCDi4 because open-backs trigger my tinnitus + the niche use case, but their b stock was an absolute snag, especially for iPhone users.

That’s too bad :frowning2:

People have gotten the Lightning Cipher cables to work on Android phones via USB Type C adaptors but yeah, niche use case here.

I actually use the LCDi4 with the Bluetooth Cipher cable almost exclusively because of its convenience. When paired with a tiny DAP like the Hidizs AP80 Pro, this is endgame Bluetooth setup for me :)

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #25,473 of 39,414
Got my universal MESTs in. :L3000:

First, they seem comfortable as the shell fits well in my medium ears. I don't see any comfort problem here, but I'll need many hours of wearing them to be sure. (My CFA Solaris 2020s I can wear for literally 10 hours plus without any issues).

As for SQ; right away I'm hearing good things (a lot of air on top and treble detail/sparkle...but not harsh or too bright, and an even, balanced sound for instance) which is very good as I usually can literally tell if I'll like gear within the first 10 seconds of listening. I may not ever come to love gear that I like right away, but I've never even come to like gear that I didn't like at least somewhat upon first listen. So I'm set to at least like these.

But I'm very much going to be doing a lot of tip rolling since I'm not yet (with the stock tips that came attached to the MESTs out of the box and a pair of Final Audio E-Type tips I've been using with the Solaris 2020) getting the great seal that I do with my Solaris 2020s.

Much, much more listening...

EDIT:

Couple of (tentative) SQ notes: wow, the sub-bass on these! (with a good tip seal at least) I think it's more than on my Solaris 2020's, but that could be because on the Solaris the sub-bass is more covered over by the (imo) excess mid bass. On the MEST you can hear it more distinctly...also there is more bass texture and definition.

Also noticing great detail on these from top to bottom, good/great micro detail and lots of shimmer/sparkle/air at top (with being fatiguing to me) so I can hear more nuance in cymbal work for instance, as well as great overall layering and separation. Vocals are slightly upfront, but not as much as on my Solaris (which is both good and bad depending on how much you are a vocal head...I lean towards being one).

The overall presentation is somewhat light, airy, large, but not too thin or weak, with a crisp but also natural tone with just enough weight in the lower/mids to keep things from being too anemic (at least so far: haven't tried my overly thin test recordings yet). It's quite different than my darker, thicker, warmer Solaris 2020s. It's certainly not as forgiving of lesser recordings, more transparent, though I feel that the Solaris also changes tone with the recording to reveal the distinctive production.

The contrast with the Solaris is large, but I'm not one to really react positively or negatively to such contrasts as I think of transducers as having different flavors and I regularly shuffle between them (such as going through my different headphones and speakers semi daily for different applications).

Also, these seem to need a lot more volume than my Solaris.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #25,475 of 39,414
Hey, guys. I just shared my review of the PW Audio Monile upgrade cable over on the High-End IEM Cables thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hig...ons-and-reviews.804952/page-260#post-16007092

To me, it's a cable that imparts forwardness, musicality and air to in-ear monitors, as long as you won't mind a more intimate soundstage. Also, it's currently on sale over at MusicTeck as part of their Black Friday promo. So, if it does sound like the cable for you, you'll still have a day or two to snag it at a slightly better price. As always, I hope you enjoy the article. Cheers! :)

PW-Monile-3-(S).jpg

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #25,476 of 39,414
Hey, guys. I just shared my review of the PW Audio Monile upgrade cable over on the High-End IEM Cables thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hig...ons-and-reviews.804952/page-260#post-16007092

To me, it's a cable that imparts forwardness, musicality and air to in-ear monitors, as long as you won't mind a more intimate soundstage. Also, it's currently on sale over at MusicTeck as part of their Black Friday promo. So, if it does sound like the cable for you, you'll still have a day or two to snag it at a slightly better price. As always, I hope you enjoy the article. Cheers! :)

PW-Monile-3-(S).jpg
Mannnnnn Daniel, this could have come a day earlier. Already bit the bullet on a review from here and the lone headfonia one.

It was more like the limit on my card was a bit below the 2 1960's so the M4 got a Monile instead. But seems like a good pairing either way to me.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #25,477 of 39,414
Mannnnnn Daniel, this could have come a day earlier. Already bit the bullet on a review from here and the lone headfonia one.

It was more like the limit on my card was a bit below the 2 1960's so the M4 got a Monile instead. But seems like a good pairing either way to me.

Haha, sorry about that. I try my best. I can see it pairing well with the M4, though I'd be able to see it better if I had a pair of 2-pin-to-MMCX adapters on hand. :D Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the pairing and, as always, report back with your findings as well.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #25,478 of 39,414
Haha, sorry about that. I try my best. I can see it pairing well with the M4, though I'd be able to see it better if I had a pair of 2-pin-to-MMCX adapters on hand. :D Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the pairing and, as always, report back with your findings as well.
I thought so as well and I definitely thought so after going through your review as well.

Do another reading of the M4 and Monile reviews side by side and it definitely reads that way as well.

I find that the M4 has some similarities to the u12t in the mids and the Monile really fits what I want to tweak them in. Plus that treble could be a bit more exciting.

Biggest difference between the 2 is chiefly the fit. The M4 sits perfectly in my ear and I think it'll be a keeper.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #25,479 of 39,414
Got my universal MESTs in. :L3000:

First, they seem comfortable as the shell fits well in my medium ears. I don't see any comfort problem here, but I'll need many hours of wearing them to be sure. (My CFA Solaris 2020s I can wear for literally 10 hours plus without any issues).

As for SQ; right away I'm hearing good things (a lot of air on top and treble detail/sparkle...but not harsh or too bright, and an even, balanced sound for instance) which is very good as I usually can literally tell if I'll like gear within the first 10 seconds of listening. I may not ever come to love gear that I like right away, but I've never even come to like gear that I didn't like at least somewhat upon first listen. So I'm set to at least like these.

But I'm very much going to be doing a lot of tip rolling since I'm not yet (with the stock tips that came attached to the MESTs out of the box and a pair of Final Audio E-Type tips I've been using with the Solaris 2020) getting the great seal that I do with my Solaris 2020s.

Much, much more listening...

EDIT:

Couple of (tentative) SQ notes: wow, the sub-bass on these! (with a good tip seal at least) I think it's more than on my Solaris 2020's, but that could be because on the Solaris the sub-bass is more covered over by the (imo) excess mid bass. On the MEST you can hear it more distinctly...also there is more bass texture and definition.

Also noticing great detail on these from top to bottom, good/great micro detail and lots of shimmer/sparkle/air at top (with being fatiguing to me) so I can hear more nuance in cymbal work for instance, as well as great overall layering and separation. Vocals are slightly upfront, but not as much as on my Solaris (which is both good and bad depending on how much you are a vocal head...I lean towards being one).

The overall presentation is somewhat light, airy, large, but not too thin or weak, with a crisp but also natural tone with just enough weight in the lower/mids to keep things from being too anemic (at least so far: haven't tried my overly thin test recordings yet). It's quite different than my darker, thicker, warmer Solaris 2020s. It's certainly not as forgiving of lesser recordings, more transparent, though I feel that the Solaris also changes tone with the recording to reveal the distinctive production.

The contrast with the Solaris is large, but I'm not one to really react positively or negatively to such contrasts as I think of transducers as having different flavors and I regularly shuffle between them (such as going through my different headphones and speakers semi daily for different applications).

Also, these seem to need a lot more volume than my Solaris.

Thanks for the comparison with the Solaris 2020 - as an appreciative owner of the CA's, I have been watching the MESTs through clenched wallet. I think I will stick with my Solaris for now, as I do love its slightly dark and warm, yet revealing and vocal-upfront nature.

One thing to note though about how much lore volume the MESTs need - that's probably not a reflection on them but more on the Solaris, which are the most easily driveable I think I have ever owned.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #25,480 of 39,414
Thanks for the comparison with the Solaris 2020 - as an appreciative owner of the CA's, I have been watching the MESTs through clenched wallet. I think I will stick with my Solaris for now, as I do love its slightly dark and warm, yet revealing and vocal-upfront nature.

One thing to note though about how much lore volume the MESTs need - that's probably not a reflection on them but more on the Solaris, which are the most easily driveable I think I have ever owned.

You're very welcome!

Please note that those are very preliminary "first couple hours of listening" notes without any direct A/Bing with the Solaris 2020. I will attempt a much more in-depth overview of the MEST and compare/contrast them with the Solaris after much more listening.

I can, however, now safely state that the MEST does do some things markedly better than the Solaris 2020 imo, most notably being micro detail, spacious or open soundstage with a more black background, imaging, layering, separation, sparkle/air/shimmer, definition, texture, detail (overall resolution), tightness, tautness and snappiness, and quality (if not quantity) of subbass. These are all things I came to miss on the Solaris, as much as I do enjoy it, that led me to try something else.

If that sounds like the MEST trounces the Solaris 2020, it doesn't. The Solaris still reigns supreme in both vocal placement (literally just perfect for me) and timbre (very realistic to me), fun factor/energy (though the MEST is also lively with good PRaT), and note weight and heft. The MEST is not a thin or overly bright IEM, at least not with a proper fit/seal, but it doesn't sound as organic or natural as the Solaris, especially with guitars and wooden instruments. It sounds somewhat dry overall, while there is only a hint of dryness to the Solaris. So technicalities may be strongly in the MEST's favor, but tonality may be in the Solaris's favor, if not overwhelmingly so.

This is kind of what I expected, and one reason I went with the Solaris 2020 over the MEST this Summer for my first totl IEM. What ultimately wins out for me, technicalities or tonality, remains to be decided. I think the choice will be difficult, and I may just keep both. The Solaris is excellent for metal/hard rock as well as vocal centric music like singer-songwriter and vocal jazz (and lesser quality recordings of all genres) for one thing.

Much more listening and tip rolling...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #25,481 of 39,414
The MEST is not a thin or overly bright IEM, at least not with a proper fit/seal, but it doesn't sound as organic or natural as the Solaris, especially with guitars and wooden instruments.
I’ve never heard the Solaris, but I do agree with your assessment of the MEST. It has some spectacular technicalities, but it isn’t as natural sounding as some other IEMs. It seems a bit “digital” sounding, or like a slightly over sharpened digital photo. It is most obvious with acoustic instruments/music.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #25,482 of 39,414
I’ve never heard the Solaris, but I do agree with your assessment of the MEST. It has some spectacular technicalities, but it isn’t as natural sounding as some other IEMs. It seems a bit “digital” sounding, or like a slightly over sharpened digital photo. It is most obvious with acoustic instruments/music.

Colour me less interested, if that's the case.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #25,483 of 39,414

You can say, MEST has technical resolution (courtesy of its treble) while being wrapped in a fun tuning package (thanks to its bass) of unique quadbrid design. But for those who are looking for more organic natural smoother tuning, it will not cut it.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #25,484 of 39,414
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #25,485 of 39,414
Guys, I have a question:
At what point in terms of price do IEMs stop having faults? Where does the sound finally become “perfect” or close to perfect?

I’ve so far only experienced cheaper IEMs, my best one being JVC FDX1 ($250) and while it has great sound, its sound comes off as ‘shouty’ at times.

So I wonder, if I ever wanna upgrade and buy an IEM without basic or apparent flaws, how much would I have to spend?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back