flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 7, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #24,226 of 39,419
Thank you for your reply! I see, I guess the audio shops then also have those kinds in their product line.

I noted down a few models that came up in my research and which I would like to test.
They are not only custom IEMs and most of them are also quite over my budget (at least here in Japan they are quite expensive):
- JH13 V2 Pro
- Campfire Audio Andromeda
- Shure 846
- Westone W60
- Westone UM Pro 50
- JH16
- Noble Encore
- Empire Ears Legend X
- 64 Audio tia Fourte
- Campfire Audio Vega
- Alclair Reference Triple Driver

Some of them (64 Audio tia Fourte, Empire Ears Legend X, etc) are just in there because I want to experience what is possible with CIEMs.
My budget would be ~1000USD.

I see you're located in Japan. If you feel comfortable going out, I'd recommend you pay a visit to e-earphone. They have stores in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka, and they'll have all the IEMs you mentioned available to demo apart from the Alclair's. If you happen to like any of them, you'll be able to get your ear impressions taken for the CIEM there too.

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #24,227 of 39,419
Hi everybody,

sorry if that is not the right place to ask this kind of thing.

I am currently thinking about going for a custom in-ear, moving on from a pair of UM3X.
What I am wondering is, how to demo a CIEM that I am interested in?
I mean, there are dozens of companies and every model has a different flavour.
Before shelling out a significant amount of money, I would really like to test the in-ears.

Do the companies have a "demo set" with universal fits?

I would really appreciate your comments and sorry for that basic question.
PM sent! :)

If you live near Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya, try visiting the E-Earphone store there. They have a pretty big collection, and you can also consult with the staff there to find a pair most suitable to your preferences.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #24,228 of 39,419
Thank you guys so much for your responses! Yes, I have been to the e-earphone store in Akihabara last weekend but hadn't done any research at that time.
I will definitely try out the recommendations soon.

Of those you mention, I dislike JH. I just do not feel they sound as good as the current top brands in the industry. The andromeda is excellent and might just be the best at under 1000.00. It can usually be gotten at a discount. Audio 46 in NYC might ship to you. I prefer it to the Shure which I owned and Westone. I own the Encore custom and think it is a great IEM. I would put that over the Andromeda, but close. And I think I like both better than the Fourte which I also own. However, there are times when the Fourte can be superior. But honestly, it is not good enough to justify its price ( my opinion, obviously). The Legend is a top IEM and a bass monster. I have not heard the Vega or the Alclair.

After owning a number of them and listening to many, I would recommend the Andromeda at your price level. It is an excellent IEM and like it the best at under $1,000.00 USD.

Thanks a lot for your impressions and recommendation!
I will definitely try the Andromeda and Encore out. I also put the FIBAE7 on my list.

After listening to the UM3X for such a long time (6+ years?) I wonder if my ears have become so accustomed to their sound that it will be difficult to convince me of a different sound signature.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #24,229 of 39,419
Thank you guys so much for your responses! Yes, I have been to the e-earphone store in Akihabara last weekend but hadn't done any research at that time.

I will definitely try the Andromeda and Encore out. I also put the FIBAE7 on my list.

After listening to the UM3X for such a long time (6+ years?) I wonder if my ears have become so accustomed to their sound that it will be difficult to convince me of a different sound signature.
For me personally, if I hear something that is astounding, the fact that I am used to something else does not matter. I may want some time to make sure, but you will usually hear it right away.

The opposite is more likely. Once you hear what you really like from quality IEM’s, you may not want to go back. If that happens, welcome to the team!

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #24,230 of 39,419

+1 for the FIBAE7、it's one of the best IEM at $1000 available in my opinion

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #24,231 of 39,419

Since you're in Japan, I recommend trying out FlipEars' AXIS and Unique Melody's Mavis. I really enjoyed the former when I demo'ed it at e-earphone a couple years ago, and the latter is a Japan-only exclusive. Apart from the standard Andromeda, you can also give the various version a try there too. I believe the Akihabara e-earphone has all of them. I'm not 100% sure on the other branches.

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #24,232 of 39,419
Thank you for your reply! I see, I guess the audio shops then also have those kinds in their product line.

I noted down a few models that came up in my research and which I would like to test.
They are not only custom IEMs and most of them are also quite over my budget (at least here in Japan they are quite expensive):
- JH13 V2 Pro
- Campfire Audio Andromeda
- Shure 846
- Westone W60
- Westone UM Pro 50
- JH16
- Noble Encore
- Empire Ears Legend X
- 64 Audio tia Fourte
- Campfire Audio Vega
- Alclair Reference Triple Driver

Some of them (64 Audio tia Fourte, Empire Ears Legend X, etc) are just in there because I want to experience what is possible with CIEMs.
My budget would be ~1000USD.
I would also add the Sony IER-M7 and M9 to your audition list.

Auditioning the IEMs is by far the best way to find out what you like, and is a privilege few of us have. My 2c, but if listened to several renowned IEMs and found one that I loved the sound of, I probably wouldn’t go through the hassle of trying out all the rest of those on the list. Maybe I’m just lazy. :ksc75smile: JH audio did not sit well with me either.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #24,234 of 39,419
Wow, the list just grows and grows!

I know this is a portable audio thread but do you guys also use IEMs for your desktop setup or do you use headphones/speakers for this setting?
I tried headphones since I like noise isolation when I'm listening. Closed back and glasses are a bad match, the open backs I'm interested in are outta my price range currently too.

So when I want isolation, its also iems, speakers if that isn't necesary.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #24,235 of 39,419

I know this is a portable audio thread but do you guys also use IEMs for your desktop setup or do you use headphones/speakers for this setting?
The main reason I recommended trying out the Sony IEMs, is b/c you should be able to find them easily, and you just might really like the tuning, and if the M7 works well for you, it is a relative bargain (at least US prices, $500).

I like speakers and IEMs. I’ve really tried to like full-size cans, but just enjoy the sound of IEMs a lot more, not just for the convenience.

Oct 8, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #24,236 of 39,419

Well that's a big question and ultimately it's just about you and how you enjoy listening to music. I would also say that it's about your "sense of freedom" and how you approach it. I like walking around my home (or my girlfriend's home) with a nice DAP & IEMs combo, sitting where ever and doing some small things while at it. And of course, you can take that same combo outdoors and anywhere in the world (well, at least you used to be able...). If I owned a house and had a cool man cave then a desktop setup might be something to consider, but frankly I'm content I don't even have to consider it. Of course, some kind of speakers are good to have for various other use cases and moods.
Anyway, you could see what you like (with some mid-price options that won't break the bank) and then go from there. (edit: read your previous replies, yeah go audition some high quality IEMs as you have the chance :) )

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #24,237 of 39,419

My desktop IEM setup is pretty much just a Hugo2. It hisses a little with some more sensitive models but for mostly everything else it does great, and definition/technical ability is incredible

I’m currently working on two HP desktop setups and figuring out how I want to build those

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #24,238 of 39,419
I've gone the other way and traded in my desktop setup - which was a labour of love for more than three years - for a fully portable system (except for my beloved HD800 headphones, which I'll never sell).

For me it's about that sense of freedom as @Zambu put it so well a couple of posts back. I can listen anytime, anywhere, and even log into and stream my full music library via Plex while traveling. All without compromising sound quality - if anything, improving on the sound quality of my desktop setup.

The danger with portable audio is that the devices are so small, they come off as 'insignificant' and before you know it you've blown any semblance of budget with two, three or more IEMs each costing more than a giant flatscreen TV!

Add to that portable sources that are also pushing $2k or more and soon enough you're walking around with a box that's worth more than a car.

My advice: don't drop it :p

Oct 8, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #24,239 of 39,419
I have been super interested in headphones and desktop gear lately and I would love to hear how headphones can scale, which I expect goes beyond any IEM. The biggest hurdle I have is that because I am so used to high-end portable gear, I don't know if it would be wise to go into desktop gear on a budget because that might make it a disappointing experience by comparison. To avoid that would require a pretty healthy budget. Do it right and get good synergy between the DAC, amp and headphones would again require more budget and so the rabbit hole is opening up in front of me, making me just a little anxious. :sweat_smile:

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #24,240 of 39,419
I have been super interested in headphones and desktop gear lately and I would love to hear how headphones can scale, which I expect goes beyond any IEM. The biggest hurdle I have is that because I am so used to high-end portable gear, I don't know if it would be wise to go into desktop gear on a budget because that might make it a disappointing experience by comparison. To avoid that would require a pretty healthy budget. Do it right and get good synergy between the DAC, amp and headphones would again require more budget and so the rabbit hole is opening up in front of me, making me just a little anxious. :sweat_smile:
Be afraid, be very afraid. And FWIW, you'll be spending ALOT more on desktop gear to get the sheet resolution of TOTL IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back