flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #23,566 of 39,414
Thanks! Where they previously uni or custom prior to reshell? Any change in sound signature? Would you mind posting a photo? Thanks again.
Maybe another point of reference for you.

I had my jomo samba reshelled from universal to custom by ItsFit. The universal I had were bulky and sat way outside the ear. It was hard to get a good fitting at times. Since the custom gets better seal, the bass impact is much improved. Other aspects of the samba signature stayed relatively the same from my memory.

Also owned the Fusion universal before and went for the custom route and I enjoy it much more. It sounds like a diff IEM to me (for the better).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #23,567 of 39,414
Maybe another point of reference for you.

I had my jomo samba reshelled from universal to custom by ItsFit. The universal I had were bulky and sat way outside the ear. It was hard to get a good fitting at times. Since the custom gets better seal, the bass impact is much improved. Other aspects of the samba signature stayed relatively the same from my memory.

Also owned the Fusion universal before and went for the custom route and I enjoy it much more. It sounds like a diff IEM to me (for the better).
Thanks Ky! Any heartburn mailing out expensive IEMs overseas (gonna shoot you a PM asking what service you used to ship and how much it cost)?

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #23,568 of 39,414
Thanks Ky! Any heartburn mailing out expensive IEMs overseas (gonna shoot you a PM asking what service you used to ship and how much it cost)?

I shipped it out using USPS express. I think it took close to 2 weeks. It sat at customs in Vietnam for over a week though (pre-COVID). Shipping back to me, I opted for DHL express for $80. Pre-Covid, it came the next day.

The recent shipping via DHL express took 2 days.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #23,569 of 39,414
I shipped it out using USPS express. I think it took close to 2 weeks. It sat at customs in Vietnam for over a week though (pre-COVID). Shipping back to me, I opted for DHL express for $80. Pre-Covid, it came the next day.

The recent shipping via DHL express took 2 days.

I would like to second DHL for shipping anywhere. Though expensive they have never lost a package for me and have always been reliable.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #23,570 of 39,414
@doctorjuggles don’t you have any other IEM news/impressions to share?

Right so I can't post much about these right now, but I can definitely share this....

20200806_140228~2.jpg

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #23,571 of 39,414
Thanks! Where they previously uni or custom prior to reshell? Any change in sound signature? Would you mind posting a photo? Thanks again.
It was a custom I bought from someone else

I'd only ever heard the universal at CanJam so I can't be 100% sure, but I just felt like the signature stayed the same but everything just got better by an equal amount. More resolving, bass improved without bloating, just a general "this is the same but nicer" result. It was a 6 month gap between hearing the uni and the custom, so there could well just be sunk cost bias going on here :joy:

Here's a pic I had available already, should show you the quality well enough... LX on the right, Fusion on the left

20200615_184332~2.jpg

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #23,573 of 39,414
Thanks @doctorjuggles! Random question, for the EE Wings logo, do you know if they pull those off the existing shell? And another Dunu cable fan here! I have the Noble with my LX, DUW-02 with my HYLA Sarda and Blanche with my IER-Z1R. Love that interchangeable termination system.

How does the Blanche pair with the Z1R and is it easy to connect / disconnect? Cheers.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #23,574 of 39,414
How does the Blanche pair with the Z1R and is it easy to connect / disconnect? Cheers.
I love it. I have to preface by saying I'm not a huge believer in sonic changes from cables, but I do appreciate ergonomics, aesthetics and usability in an upgrade cable. The swappable terminations and matching aesthetics with the polished hardware and shells are what made we go through with it for the Z1R because I was otherwise happy with the stock cable. Easy to connect, not quite so easy to disconnect. I ended up getting a cable from a dealer that wasn't in the retail package, just a bag because I'm cheap and it saved me like $35, haha. So I'm not sure if it's normal, but the plugs on both ends and the splitter had a protective layer around them. Probably not needed when it's in the retail package, but I didn't notice it at first on the MMCX plugs and I had already connected them and I had to disconnect them to peel it off. So definitely challenging to get a grip on them to disconnect. I just bit the bullet and had to pull from the cable and it took more force than I would care for. Would definitely not recommend if the plan is to swap it out regularly.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #23,578 of 39,414
VE sells them - the plate itself isn’t LE
What do you mean? Oh, just a little slow today. So VE is calling the body the LE, but not necessarily the plate. Do you know if they still sell the silver etched plate? I always wondered how that would look with the black body. Silver and Black. If anyone has them with the LE body I would love to see a picture. Thanks MVV.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #23,579 of 39,414
The faceplates are separate from the body of the iem.

And the faceplates sold with the le are available separately for purchase, and can be used with the og erlky.

You have always been able to purchase a bunch of different faceplates for the erlky...the one that is sold on the le (rose gold) has actually always been available.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #23,580 of 39,414
The faceplates are separate from the body of the iem.

And the faceplates sold with the le, are available separately for purchase, and can be used with the og erlky.

You have always been able to purchase a bunch of different faceplates for the erlky...the one that is sold on the le has actually always been available.
I never realized the faceplates on my LE were always available. I thought the whole look was unique to the LE. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back