flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #23,326 of 39,414
Here it is, another Tw6 novel, this time about VE's Ely. Will post it on Head-fi soon as well. And, btw, for the first time I actually had to make short unboxing video just to show the effect of opening that Vision Ears box :wink:

Great review! You just pushed me even closer in getting an Elysium :)

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #23,327 of 39,414
Here it is, another Tw6 novel, this time about VE's Ely. Will post it on Head-fi soon as well. And, btw, for the first time I actually had to make short unboxing video just to show the effect of opening that Vision Ears box :wink:

Hi @twister6,

Thank you for the nice Elysium review.

Just wanted ask your opinion of the Elysium sound signature, is it analytical or musical to you? Do you think it’s fatiguing for long listening? Also, do u consider it to be bass light as some have said? (nvm this one as u already answered in the review)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #23,328 of 39,414
Hi @twister6,

Thank you for the nice Elysium review.

Just wanted ask your opinion of the Elysium sound signature, is it analytical or musical to you? Do you think it’s fatiguing for long listening? Also, do u consider it to be bass light as some have said?

I not sure what I can add in addition to what I have already mentioned in the review, bud. It's definitely not analytical, more natural/musical but with more vivid details due to its revealing upper frequencies. And regarding bass, it is all relative to what you are comparing it to. Perhaps, the comparison section of my review can give you a better idea? Will also depends on how good your eartips seal. I can't speak for CIEM version, but a choice of different eartips can bring a noticeable boost to sub-bass and lift mid-bass impact as well. With AZLA Sedna and Symbio F tips I'm getting some healthy bass slam, but I personally prefer to use SpinFits so the sound is more balanced. Others might use different eartips, anatomy of our earcanals is not the same. Of course, it is not Legend X bass, but I wouldn't call it bass-light or neutral, unless you have a poor seal. But like I said, the selection of eartips can make it or break it here.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #23,329 of 39,414
I not sure what I can add in addition to what I have already mentioned in the review, bud. It's definitely not analytical, more natural/musical but with more vivid details due to its revealing upper frequencies. And regarding bass, it is all relative to what you are comparing it to. Perhaps, the comparison section of my review can give you a better idea? Will also depends on how good your eartips seal. I can't speak for CIEM version, but a choice of different eartips can bring a noticeable boost to sub-bass and lift mid-bass impact as well. With AZLA Sedna and Symbio F tips I'm getting some healthy bass slam, but I personally prefer to use SpinFits so the sound is more balanced. Others might use different eartips, anatomy of our earcanals is not the same. Of course, it is not Legend X bass, but I wouldn't call it bass-light or neutral, unless you have a poor seal. But like I said, the selection of eartips can make it or break it here.

I understand what u meant by “And regarding bass, it is all relative to what you are comparing it to.” I want good bass but not too heavy bass. I just wanted to be reassured I won’t miss anything as some said it’s bass light which I didn’t find it lacking. I have no other doubts about the Elysium. Many thanks again for your reply and experience. I think I’m gonna get it 😄.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #23,330 of 39,414
If I'm being completely honest, I kind of avoid posting in this thread since some of you guys have really heard way more high end stuff than I have and I often question if I have the chops to really discern some of the things a lot of you guys do. Especially since I am fine listening to Spotify and single ended and often find my phone/crappy tablet more than adequate of a source for my iems.

I also have tried to avoid sounding like a crazy fanboy about the nio. But I really adore them to the point that at least for now, my desire to acquire new iems is pretty much gone.

I'm honestly not sure how it would compare to some of the things being discussed here like the erlkonig or the thummin, but these are obviously not targeting the same ultra ultra high end (even thought they are still 1700 dollars). That said, they definitely hold their own against others in the price range that I have heard. And while I wouldn't call them straight up better or worse than those others, they are better for my preferences, fit better than others (talking Solaris 2020 and z1r), look better in my opinion, and with some slight tuning ability with the apex modules, I think it's a better overall package.

So while I'm willing to admit that they obviously aren't perfect and won't be to everyone's taste, I may not be the best person to avoid the fanboyism on this one because I honestly just have a hard time saying anything really negative about them. Other than it seems like there may have been some early cosmetic qc issues, which I have on mine, but didn't care enough to replace.

Happy to answer any questions if you have any though.

If there's ever a thread on Head-Fi to feel completely okay with listening to single-ended Spotify on non-Summit-Fi IEMs, it's this one. :D Never feel afraid to share your thoughts, no matter how "un-high-end" or fanboy-ish you may feel them to be. At the end of the day, we all share the same passion and love for audio, and any voice is a valuable one. 'Been loving reading all the impressions on the Nio posted so far (yours, definitely included), and I can't wait to hear more! :)

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #23,331 of 39,414
If there's ever a thread on Head-Fi to feel completely okay with listening to single-ended Spotify on non-Summit-Fi IEMs, it's this one. :D Never feel afraid to share your thoughts, no matter how "un-high-end" or fanboy-ish you may feel them to be. At the end of the day, we all share the same passion and love for audio, and any voice is a valuable one. 'Been loving reading all the impressions on the Nio posted so far (yours, definitely included), and I can't wait to hear more! :)
Man, you’re so wholesome, deez.

Love it.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #23,332 of 39,414
I understand what u meant by “And regarding bass, it is all relative to what you are comparing it to.” I want good bass but not too heavy bass. I just wanted to be reassured I won’t miss anything as some said it’s bass light which I didn’t find it lacking. I have no other doubts about the Elysium. Many thanks again for your reply and experience. I think I’m gonna get it 😄.
I am probably one of the folks who mentioned the bass on the Elysium that you are referring. Please also realize I own the custom version and I am happy with it. We have talked on the VE thread a bit. The bass is certainly relative. On mid bass and up it has all you need. In terms of slam and lower bass it will lose some of that. Some people will even prefer that. I still highly recommend it. For example I have a hi res copy of the album Thriller by Michael Jackson. On “Beat It” you will never think it is bass shy. That bass and slam is well within the Elysium’s capabilities. It can also do a good job on some EDM as that bass is really not that low. Do I think the ERLK is better? Yes, but that is no longer available. Go get it and don’t look back. And it is gorgeous in my opinion as well! Tks.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #23,333 of 39,414
Your reviews are my absolute favourite. I find them super informative and concise. Thanks for all your work, it is very much appreciated. Enjoyed reading that one immensely :)
Just to pile on the praise, thanks @twister6, really enjoyed reading your review. Great writing style, easy to read, and perhaps most importantly, very informative. Appreciate all the time you put into these.
thank you!

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #23,334 of 39,414
Have there been any comments about the Nio?
Nio is just a re-release of the n8 anyway so unless someone specifically wants universals, I don't see any reason to get it over the n8

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #23,335 of 39,414
I am probably one of the folks who mentioned the bass on the Elysium that you are referring. Please also realize I own the custom version and I am happy with it. We have talked on the VE thread a bit. The bass is certainly relative. On mid bass and up it has all you need. In terms of slam and lower bass it will lose some of that. Some people will even prefer that. I still highly recommend it. For example I have a hi res copy of the album Thriller by Michael Jackson. On “Beat It” you will never think it is bass shy. That bass and slam is well within the Elysium’s capabilities. It can also do a good job on some EDM as that bass is really not that low. Do I think the ERLK is better? Yes, but that is no longer available. Go get it and don’t look back. And it is gorgeous in my opinion as well! Tks.

Hi Frankie,

It's just a general observations and I wasn't referring to you specifically regarding the bass light comments on the Elysium.

Appreciate your feedback, thank you.

Regards, David

Jul 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #23,336 of 39,414
See what your CIEMs can really do tour - Burson C3xP Desktop DAC/AMP US HEADFI Tour
I know that I keep talking about how the Elysium, ERL, LX, Wraith, A18, etc. can scale like crazy to EXOTIC performance levels...now I have a chance to prove it to you. I have been reviewing these top tier CIEMs through my Burson Conductor setup to get the maximum performance out of them and have been singing phrase that has lead to a number of tour members requesting a Burson tour. So here it is, a US tour for Burson's new Conductor 3xP. A 6w Burson desktop may seem like overkill for a CIEM, but these mentioned CIEMs have way outperformed my LCD2.2, HD800, and HEX on the C3xP and are performing at EXOTIC levels I didn't think possible. Besides full-sized crystal clear audiophile sound with butterfly-wings resolution, the Conductor offers extreme texturing and emotion with earth-shaking, subterranean sub-bass reach that will show you what your single BA ELY bass driver can really do. Now is your chance to hear it for yourselves:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/us-...tor-3x-performance-starting-july-2020.935956/

1595281852808.png

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #23,337 of 39,414
Posted some quick impressions on the VE8/Elysium in my thread here. Both are really nice IEMs, and VE clearly knows what‘s up. From what I can tell so far, it’ll probably come down to personal preference between the two. The VE8 runs closer to neutral with a clear technical edge while the Elysium lends itself to a more colored, fun sound. Looking forward to running these through their paces this week!

31F823E1-E9FD-4B3F-8A35-40D4A0A19493.jpeg

E1BC7B8E-AE89-4CDF-804E-CFAD06BE3D89.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #23,338 of 39,414
It's a bit sad to admit that for the past few weeks, ever since I got my hands on this Thummim demo unit, it is all I want to use to listen music to. The sound is really addictive! (Most of my listening is done with the TA. Too lazy to take out my DAPs.)

I haven't even pair it together with my DMP. I'm afraid nothing else will matter then.

Will wait for my actual Thummim to arrive and burn it in with the DMP.

After that? Maybe I'll sell everything else :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #23,339 of 39,414
It's a bit sad to admit that for the past few weeks, ever since I got my hands on this Thummim demo unit, it is all I want to use to listen music to. The sound is really addictive! (Most of my listening is done with the TA. Too lazy to take out my DAPs.)

I haven't even pair it together with my DMP. I'm afraid nothing else will matter then.

Will wait for my actual Thummim to arrive and burn it in with the DMP.

After that? Maybe I'll sell everything else :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

How's the Thummim vs the Fourte Noir?

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #23,340 of 39,414
How's the Thummim vs the Fourte Noir?

I'm going to say... it's Noir, but amplified.

Everything I like about the Noir, the Thummim got it, but adds a bit more. Maybe it's the spherical soundstage thing that's being mentioned all the time?

I don't know if it's placebo or whatever effect but that's how I feel about this 2 right now.

I even considered selling the Noir the day I placed my order for the Thummim. Only reason I kept it for now is it's a limited edition thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back