flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 24, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #22,966 of 39,414
These are norne cables. The top is a copper+silver fusion cable, the bottom one pure silver. Well let me hear them when they arrive first, and we’ll see :relaxed:
Yes I thought perhaps the bottom one looked like a Silvergarde?
I have been eyeing that cable - would really appreciate your impressions.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #22,967 of 39,414
I'll get flak for this but I don't prefer anything driven off a PC or compressed. I was using a Weiss int202 firewire interface (I tried lots) with Wavelab as player (I tried lots) ASIO to the best DAC (itried lots) I could find and never liked it nearly as much as my preferred dedicated audio playback kit. That said PC playback can be cost effective and pretty good.

Eaglewings is spot on about specnocrats. Very little to do with real world results and outside threshold of perception. Music is complex. Specs are simple.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #22,968 of 39,414
Yes I thought perhaps the bottom one looked like a Silvergarde?
I have been eyeing that cable - would really appreciate your impressions.

Yep. I have around 4 of them already but all are 4-wire version. This is the first time I’m gonna have the 8-wire version. The 4-wire is a warm sounding silver cable, sub-bass goes very deep and treble is a lot more airy but with tremendous energy, you can feel it in the way the cymbal crashes. Mids are brought forward but not by much. Resolution is top notch, with very black background, perhaps similar to watching an OLED TV with its real deep blacks :relaxed:

His cables are very similar to DHC actually (perhaps a slight variation in geometry, but they came from the same source) and yet with a much more reasonable price.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #22,969 of 39,414
Yep. I have around 4 of them already but all are 4-wire version. This is the first time I’m gonna have the 8-wire version. The 4-wire is a warm sounding silver cable, sub-bass goes very deep and treble is a lot more airy but with tremendous energy, you can feel it in the way the cymbal crashes. Mids are brought forward but not by much. Resolution is top notch, with very black background, perhaps similar to watching an OLED TV with its real deep blacks :relaxed:

His cables are very similar to DHC actually (perhaps a slight variation in geometry, but they came from the same source) and yet with a much more reasonable price.
Ah right of course, I should have read your signature first :)
Well I was also waffling between 4 and 8 wires (I was concerned the 8 wires with 21awg would be too heavy for an IEM cable)...still would love your impressions once you receive them!
Any risk of excessive sibilance with them that you've heard?

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #22,970 of 39,414
Ah right of course, I should have read your signature first :)
Well I was also waffling between 4 and 8 wires (I was concerned the 8 wires with 21awg would be too heavy for an IEM cable)...still would love your impressions once you receive them!
Any risk of excessive sibilance with them that you've heard?

Never a hint of sibilance. Yes it’s going to be heavy and very thick, won’t be suitable for moving around. I always listen to my IEMs stationary, so don’t mind with the extra weight. But the question remains whether it’s going to feel comfortable wearing them with IEMs so we’ll see.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #22,971 of 39,414
Never a hint of sibilance. Yes it’s going to be heavy and very thick, won’t be suitable for moving around. I always listen to my IEMs stationary, so don’t mind with the extra weight. But the question remains whether it’s going to feel comfortable wearing them with IEMs so we’ll see.
Ok thank you, I appreciate it

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #22,973 of 39,414
Hey bud - the thing is, I had tried and spent time with the Erl last summer for the first time and then again after that, so my few hours today were more of a confirmation of my experience with the Erl as opposed to fresh new impressions (as was the case with the Thummim)
How did you not purchase it last summer then? Based on the short history that I know you from the forum I would have bet on that.
I have an LE on order, so I will find out for myself and let you know about my impressions. Don’t know about the Thummim though. I need more info first and a listen would be great. Reading the early reviews it sounds like the Thummim colors the sound. This can be alluring for awhile, but not so sure in the long run.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #22,975 of 39,414
Disclaimer: I have paid almost full retail for both items, and I've acquired both the Thummim and the Erl at a rather comparable price tag. Neither company has provided any sort of incentive for a favourable review.
Hahaha noooo, not this time around!
The erl was a gift, so I’m afraid there’s no selling that bad boy
Sorry, but which is it? I think I know why (I remember something you said in PM), but you need to be clear and consistent even if you just review for yourself rather than a website.

The reason I feel compelled to point it out is that I bend over backwards to be transparent about review samples and my dealings with manufacturers, but with something like this people will suspect BS and I will get tarred with the same brush, effectively undoing a lot of the effort I have put in to show not all reviewers are out to get "free" stuff. Just to be clear, I did get the Thummim offered as review samples and I that is how I show it in the disclaimer in my review. What I don't detail in my disclaimer is that I had conversations with both Joseph and Eric (Eletech is a partner company in MMR) about how ridiculous it is for me to get the Thummim as review samples and that I was actually quite uncomfortable with it. Joseph explained why he wants me to hang on to them and we agreed that he can ask them back at any time and I will send them back if I stop reviewing.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #22,976 of 39,414
Sorry, but which is it? I think I know why (I remember something you said in PM), but you need to be clear and consistent even if you just review for yourself rather than a website.

The reason I feel compelled to point it out is that I bend over backwards to be transparent about review samples and my dealings with manufacturers, but with something like this people will suspect BS and I will get tarred with the same brush, effectively undoing a lot of the effort I have put in to show not all reviewers are out to get "free" stuff. Just to be clear, I did get the Thummim offered as review samples and I that is how I show it in the disclaimer in my review. What I don't detail in my disclaimer is that I had conversations with both Joseph and Eric (Eletech is a partner company in MMR) about how ridiculous it is for me to get the Thummim as review samples and that I was actually quite uncomfortable with it. Joseph explained why he wants me to hang on to them and we agreed that he can ask them back at any time and I will send them back if I stop reviewing.
Ah that’s fair I see the confusion - the Erl was a gift from someone in my family, so while I didn’t pay for it with my “own” money, I did pay with my family’s money haha - which is why it isn’t a review sample or anything of the sort

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #22,977 of 39,414
Well then you definitely need to do me the favor and spend some more time with it. I mean, asking you to listen more to the ERL should not be considered a hardship! Tks.
Sure I’ll spend whatever time with it, but those impressions are based on an amount of listening time that I consider sufficient for me to make a judgement.

I’ll write a full review of the Erl in a while to cover my full opinion on it, but that won’t affect in any way or form the comparison post

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #22,978 of 39,414
Ah that’s fair I see the confusion - the Erl was a gift from someone in my family, so while I didn’t pay for it with my “own” money, I did pay with my family’s money haha - which is why it isn’t a review sample or anything of the sort
Thanks for clarifying! :thumbsup:

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #22,979 of 39,414

Geez, nice family! I’m gonna have to have words with mine. The case of beers and four pairs of socks I got for my birthday ain’t gonna cut it next year... :smile:

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #22,980 of 39,414
Geez, nice family! I’m gonna have to have words with mine. The case of beers and four pairs of socks I got for my birthday ain’t gonna cut it next year... :smile:
It was a huge occasion so each one of us got a free pass on the family card :D My sister got a really cool drone with a 10km range so we went visiting nearby villages yesterday :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back