flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #22,981 of 39,414
I've tried the entire Focal lineup, the entire Audeze lineup, Rosson's RAD-0, Mr Speakers Ether C and the STAX SR007- used various DACs and amps too, including tubes, and they still couldn't do it for me - like at all. I find headphones extremely convenient and I have given them every benefit of the doubt as well as tried various setups. Pretty sure by this point I know they ain't for me :p

Our beliefs and opinions are based on our own experiences. So I can't convince you otherwise. But in my experience, even my EQed LCD-i4, which to me is a tier above some of the best IEMs, just doesn't come close to my desktop chain.

You could go through 100 different gears and still not have a breakthrough in desktop audio because, all it takes is just one weak link in the chain. The weak link could be a product that is either a) hyped up but actually not good or, b) doesn't synergize with the chain or, c) match your preference. And when you take desktop advise on head-fi, you are going to have one or 2 weak links in your chain.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #22,982 of 39,414
To be fair though, I must also acknowledge the possibility that you actually did have a breakthrough in desktop audio, but still preferred IEMs over HPs.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #22,983 of 39,414
To be fair though, I must also acknowledge the possibility that you actually did have a breakthrough in desktop audio, but still preferred IEMs over HPs.
Headphones are great if you want a realistic experience, and of all the things I want out of my audio chain, realistic ranks at the absolute bottom for me personally - I think that’s why I’ve never gotten along with headphones, regardless of what setup they’re in

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #22,984 of 39,414
Headphones are great if you want a realistic experience, and of all the things I want out of my audio chain, realistic ranks at the absolute bottom for me personally - I think that’s why I’ve never gotten along with headphones, regardless of what setup they’re in
That is an important realisation and explains why you like the Thummim so much. :grin:

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #22,985 of 39,414
The way I see it (and this is strictly my approach to this hobby), I’m not gonna dish out 5-10k per setup to try and approximate a live experience I don’t particularly enjoy in the first place :D :D

7AEF9944-F23E-451B-9045-3A1C7732316A.jpeg

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #22,986 of 39,414
Sorry to derail this conversation, just following up on my first impressions post with my full review of the MMR Homunculus (here).

Still enjoying the bass and treble performance on this earphone, super detailed, natural and the top-end extends very linearly into the highest octaves with just a hint of thinness that I am finding to be a trait of the Sonion estat drivers, take that with a grain of salt. However, it's actually the midrange that has grown on me most. Still a bit laid-back, especially regarding male vocals, but despite not resembling any common curve, I am finding the Homunculus to carry a very natural tonality and a great balance between clarity and coherence.

I've also added some fit pics for those curious and will be incorporating these in future reviews to give a better idea of how the earphone wear. The Homunculus, in particular, I was able to wear in two styles, shallow as above and deep, as below. I did prefer the deeper fit sonically and in terms of stability but I can definitely see many going for the shallower fit as it mitigates a lot of the comfort issues many have complained about. Anyway, Van Gogh fans can let me know what you think about the ear, definitely raised a lot of questions in my household when it arrived though I find it easier to get a useful angle with the ear and it is certainly more aesthetic than on my own head lol

DSC08856.jpg

DSC08859.jpg

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #22,987 of 39,414
Sorry to derail this conversation, just following up on my first impressions post with my full review of the MMR Homunculus (here).

Still enjoying the bass and treble performance on this earphone, super detailed, natural and the top-end extends very linearly into the highest octaves with just a hint of thinness that I am finding to be a trait of the Sonion estat drivers, take that with a grain of salt. However, it's actually the midrange that has grown on me most. Still a bit laid-back, especially regarding male vocals, but despite not resembling any common curve, I am finding the Homunculus to carry a very natural tonality and a great balance between clarity and coherence.

I've also added some fit pics for those curious and will be incorporating these in future reviews to give a better idea of how the earphone wear. The Homunculus, in particular, I was able to wear in two styles, shallow as above and deep, as below. I did prefer the deeper fit sonically and in terms of stability but I can definitely see many going for the shallower fit as it mitigates a lot of the comfort issues many have complained about. Anyway, Van Gogh fans can let me know what you think about the ear, definitely raised a lot of questions in my household when it arrived though I find it easier to get a useful angle with the ear and it is certainly more aesthetic than on my own head lol

DSC08856.jpg
DSC08859.jpg

Whose ear did you have to sacrifice for this photo opp? :D

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #22,988 of 39,414
It was a huge occasion so each one of us got a free pass on the family card :D My sister got a really cool drone with a 10km range so we went visiting nearby villages yesterday :D

Michael, at this rate you will have to change your signature to "I don't get broke bro, my family does" :p

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #22,989 of 39,414
Michael, at this rate you will have to change your signature to "I don't get broke bro, my family does" :p
It’s becoming a bit of a family trait by this point, the Thummim flushed me out pretty bad already :D

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #22,990 of 39,414

DSC08856.jpg
DSC08859.jpg
Love the ear...cracked me up

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #22,992 of 39,414

DSC08856.jpg
DSC08859.jpg

the ears kinda creepy...or is it just me? :smiley:

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #22,993 of 39,414
Gotta love Sammy for doing it again. What the heck?!
Infinity Mk2 (the Zombie seem to have received a similar upgrade):
InfinityMK2_I.jpg
InfinityMK2_II.jpg
(Here is a YouTube video I can't understand, where Sammy seems to explain more details.)

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #22,994 of 39,414
The way I see it (and this is strictly my approach to this hobby), I’m not gonna dish out 5-10k per setup to try and approximate a live experience I don’t particularly enjoy in the first place :D :D

7AEF9944-F23E-451B-9045-3A1C7732316A.jpeg

Why did you sell your Sony Z1R. Just wondering.
Instead of the Z1R which took it's place?

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #22,995 of 39,414
Why did you sell your Sony Z1R. Just wondering.
Instead of the Z1R which took it's place?
The reason I was holding on to it was the slow bass decay and insane treble, but the Thummim covers both of these points along with a much more forward midrange. I also got the Ara and used the funds from the Z1R to pay for that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back