flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 22, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #22,546 of 39,414
It looks really interesting, but I think pretty hard to come by, not?
Pretty easy, you can try getting one through penon audio, they are quite reliable

May 22, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #22,547 of 39,414
Thummim packaging:
IMAGE_01.JPG
IMAGE_02.JPG
IMAGE_03.JPG
IMAGE_04.JPG
IMAGE_05.JPG

Wow on the packaging and the AET06/07/08 tips, these are some of the best silicone tips on the market!

May 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #22,548 of 39,414
Wow on the packaging and the AET06/07/08 tips, these are some of the best silicone tips on the market!

Nice pics :)

Better have those for the fit of those monsters...

May 22, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #22,549 of 39,414
The packaging is indeed completely unique, although a little sparse for IEMs at this price. The tips I am not yet sure about for myself. I still need to try out some other options to see if I can improve the fit. I suspect softer tips like the Final E-type might work better for me.

May 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #22,550 of 39,414
The packaging is indeed completely unique, although a little sparse for IEMs at this price. The tips I am not yet sure about for myself. I still need to try out some other options to see if I can improve the fit. I suspect softer tips like the Final E-type might work better for me.
I find the Acoustune really great for the fit in my ears. Final E does change the sound a bit but can do the job. It brings in more tone density and tames highs a little but you loose a bit of precision, soundstage and dynamic.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #22,551 of 39,414
@Wyville Erik you've taken to summoning many angled ones to further your audio enjoyment as well? Guess I better start learning black magic as well

May 23, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #22,554 of 39,414
I find the Acoustune really great for the fit in my ears. Final E does change the sound a bit but can do the job. It brings in more tone density and tames highs a little but you loose a bit of precision, soundstage and dynamic.
With the Acoustune tips and Thummim I find that because of the longer nozzle it does not fit very comfortable for me, so I might try a few other tips to see if I can improve on comfort. Haven't really used them much either, so maybe I can make the Acoustune tips work anyway.
@Wyville Erik you've taken to summoning many angled ones to further your audio enjoyment as well? Guess I better start learning black magic as well
Shhh... It's a secret Head-fi ritual known only to the "The Honourable Head-Five" [throws mysterious hand sign] (we're more than five, but they started it). You must, however, be prepared to have your cheeks paddled glowing red before you are granted admission. :grin:

May 23, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #22,555 of 39,414
woop my r2r2k just bricked itself, any dap suggestions in the 500-800 usd price segment?

used(mint) SONY WM1A , for 700-800$ and you are done

May 23, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #22,556 of 39,414
May 23, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #22,557 of 39,414
woop my r2r2k just bricked itself, any dap suggestions in the 500-800 usd price segment?

Yeah, I'd have to say that pound for pound for sound (I'm a poet and didn't know it lol) you can't get much better than the iBasso DX160 ($399 I think?).
And they've just released a 2020 version which has slightly upgraded sound quality by all accounts. As long as you're not planning to use the Bluetooth, then you're good.

Equally, I'd have to second the recommendation of the Sony WM1A.
Solid engineering and UI, you're unlikely to encounter any issues, and should be easy to get reliable service if you ever did.
Plus you've got world-class sound processing, effects, EQ and whatnot, if that's something you'd be interested in.
Oh, and as if that wasn't all enough, a battery life from 23-30 hours too :sweat_smile:

If you check on the Sony WM1A/Z thread, there's also a load of custom firmwares which can be used to tailor the sound signature to your liking.
And if you're really adventurous, there's hardware mods that you can have done that can - by all accounts - take the WM1A to the point where it leaves even a stock or lightly-modded WM1Z trailing in the dust. :)
From that point of view, and in terms of the heights to which it can scale, I've heard it described as the best value DAP a person can buy.
I can't confirm or deny that of course, but I got the WM1Z, have used fw mods and will be having it hardware modded shortly.
That's mainly because I'm a sucker for gold though :joy:

May 23, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #22,559 of 39,414
Yeah, I'd have to say that pound for pound for sound (I'm a poet and didn't know it lol) you can't get much better than the iBasso DX160 ($399 I think?).
And they've just released a 2020 version which has slightly upgraded sound quality by all accounts. As long as you're not planning to use the Bluetooth, then you're good.

Equally, I'd have to second the recommendation of the Sony WM1A.
Solid engineering and UI, you're unlikely to encounter any issues, and should be easy to get reliable service if you ever did.
Plus you've got world-class sound processing, effects, EQ and whatnot, if that's something you'd be interested in.
Oh, and as if that wasn't all enough, a battery life from 23-30 hours too :sweat_smile:

If you check on the Sony WM1A/Z thread, there's also a load of custom firmwares which can be used to tailor the sound signature to your liking.
And if you're really adventurous, there's hardware mods that you can have done that can - by all accounts - take the WM1A to the point where it leaves even a stock or lightly-modded WM1Z trailing in the dust. :)
From that point of view, and in terms of the heights to which it can scale, I've heard it described as the best value DAP a person can buy.
I can't confirm or deny that of course, but I got the WM1Z, have used fw mods and will be having it hardware modded shortly.
That's mainly because I'm a sucker for gold though :joy:
I'm beginning to consider the DX160, pretty easy for me to get my hands on, though I'm hoping it's more stable than my DX150, which would crash every other evening.

May 23, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #22,560 of 39,414
Whats up with the bluetooth issues on the 160? Possibly looking to move on from the hiby r6 due to impedence issues. Caught in a bit of a loop on that one though as I use fibae range from CA which eliminates the issue. Could get a new dap, or get a new fibae model and no need to change daps. But if I want to try newer iems that impedence issue could come back to bite me and repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back