flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 11, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #22,006 of 39,414
Yep.... I've heard that a million times and still like what I like for prog and metal - like you, I like a warmer signature. I don't think you should force yourself into a sound that you won't enjoy because of 'concensus'. Get a warm IEM if that's what you like. I would however stay away from things with too much mid bass - as this can muddy up the fast double kick metal has. I'd also steer clear of lower treble focused IEMs as the cymbals can become too intense if you like a more warm sound.

I'm pretty picky about things being too hot in the top end and I find CustomArt Fibae7, Oriolus mk2, and oriveti OH500 great options that shine with rock/metal.
Right now I've been eyeing up either the fibae6 from CA as I've heard mention that that and it's predecessor the eixx that it's perfect for rock and metal which would be handy as they have a set of my impressions on file already. Having said that as much as I like CA stuff wouldn't mind a change of pace. The other ones I've been mulling over are Westone b30 (bit more budget friendly!) and the solstice/equinox from Campfire (with a side order of atlas thrown in as it's on offer atm). Solstice and Equinox I'm mainly interested in due to the audiophile fit they off which should play nicely even with my stupid right ear! However that would blow my budget and then some for the year! Other consideration is that my main player is the hiby r6 which isn't ideal from the oi issue it has so half been wondering if I should swop that out. Of course if I stick with the fibae range then it's a none issue anyway.

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #22,007 of 39,414
Right now I've been eyeing up either the fibae6 from CA as I've heard mention that that and it's predecessor the eixx that it's perfect for rock and metal which would be handy as they have a set of my impressions on file already. Having said that as much as I like CA stuff wouldn't mind a change of pace. The other ones I've been mulling over are Westone b30 (bit more budget friendly!) and the solstice/equinox from Campfire (with a side order of atlas thrown in as it's on offer atm). Solstice and Equinox I'm mainly interested in due to the audiophile fit they off which should play nicely even with my stupid right ear! However that would blow my budget and then some for the year! Other consideration is that my main player is the hiby r6 which isn't ideal from the oi issue it has so half been wondering if I should swop that out. Of course if I stick with the fibae range then it's a none issue anyway.

I'm currently reviewing the AF140 MK2 from Audiofly, and I think it could be a strong candidate. It's fairly warm because of its bass emphasis, but it has incredible clarity, openness and air in spite of this, which is what's most impressive about it to me. When it comes to kick-heavy material, the mid-bass approaches just shy of the muddiness that @buonassi talked about. But, otherwise, it's very nicely controlled against all the other instruments. I'll be including a comparison against the F2 as well, and it should come out sometime next week. One thing to keep in mind is that it's a universal in-ear - the most comfortable one I've worn, by the way - that sounds best with foam tips. The silicone ones just didn't come off as smooth and natural to me. But, yeah, it's a great candidate if you're not limiting yourself to just customs.

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #22,008 of 39,414
I'm always leary when it comes to universal as much as I might like them. That bend in my right ear comes just at the point to stop ear tips sealing properly.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #22,009 of 39,414
I like a warmer signature. I don't think you should force yourself into a sound that you won't enjoy because of 'concensus'. Get a warm IEM if that's what you like. I would however stay away from things with too much mid bass - as this can u up the fast double kick metal has. I'd also steer clear of lower treble focused IEMs as the cymbals can become too intense if you like a more warm sound.

Every time I go out with my father in law to a Chinese restaurant he always asked me what should he orders and I always tell him to try something he hasn’t had before but he always end up ordering the same dish— chicken chow mein. Regardless of how much I like lobster or steaks or a certain restaurant but if I have to eat those items three or four times in a row, I will get tire of them real fast. I found that is the same with sound or music, especially when it comes to iems because of the intimate nature of iems. The fact is no single iems can give you everything you want, it is always a give and take situation, as such, I sometimes find having iems even with opposite sound character very important for my listening experience as long as they don’t have a flaw in them. At the moment, the Erlkonig is my favorite iems, but I also enjoy many others as you can see from my signature. So I am not sure I will use the words “force yourself into a sound that you won’t enjoy” but I will rather suggest “you should explore to see if you like the new sound”. Of course this doesn’t apply to folks that are sensitive to hot treble etc.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #22,011 of 39,414
@Jalo , that's a great point you make. I've been trying to stretch out of my comfort zone but have historically had a tough time with that.
It's funny, back in the day I used to get "trapped" with westone iems. Every time I broke down what my requirements it led back to Westone. Now it's Custom Art.

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #22,012 of 39,414
4 years later , NT6 still gives me so much joy , amazing pairing with Whiplash Hybrid 8-wire i can't believe this combo cost me less than 1000 euros , crazy

speaking of cables , does anyone know any EU cable maker that could re-terminate my bending 2-pins on my whiplash cable ?

Apr 12, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #22,013 of 39,414
4 years later , NT6 still gives me so much joy , amazing pairing with Whiplash Hybrid 8-wire i can't believe this combo cost me less than 1000 euros , crazy

speaking of cables , does anyone know any EU cable maker that could re-terminate my bending 2-pins on my whiplash cable ?
You cannot fix a bending 2-pins on a cable with a plier? Let me show you how........:wink:

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #22,014 of 39,414
Hey everyone, 'hope you're all still doing well and staying safe in quarantine. I've just published a new review on THL, and it's of Effect Audio's new flagship Code 51. It's the most expensive cable I've reviewed yet by quite a margin, but it's also capable of bringing unique changes to sound that those of you with multiple flagship in-ears may be interested in. As always, I hope you enjoy, and I hope y'all have a good week ahead. :)

Effect Audio Code 51 - Titan Talk

EA-C51-4-S.jpg

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #22,015 of 39,414
Hey everyone, 'hope you're all still doing well and staying safe in quarantine. I've just published a new review on THL, and it's of Effect Audio's new flagship Code 51. It's the most expensive cable I've reviewed yet by quite a margin, but it's also capable of bringing unique changes to sound that those of you with multiple flagship in-ears may be interested in. As always, I hope you enjoy, and I hope y'all have a good week ahead. :)

If only they had plugs and pins to match the split :frowning2:

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #22,017 of 39,414
Titanium's a terrible conductor, though. The chrome-coloured rhodium, maybe? :wink:
Nah I mean the actual hardware - the barrels

Add: this goes for like 90% of cable makers, but I always felt it was a bit lazy when the TOTLs and the special editions have the same hardware as every single other cable in the lineup. EA go halfway so to say, and design really nice splits, but the carbon fibre just doesn't feel like it belongs there idk

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #22,018 of 39,414

Great reading, and I was delighted to finally hear some impressions of the Code 51 vs Eletech's Iliad :)

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #22,019 of 39,414
So to give myself something to do during lockdown I've decided to go ahead and fix all the tags and album artwork in my library. Aside from using something like mp3tag and going through one by one, is there a quicker way to do it?

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #22,020 of 39,414
Nah I mean the actual hardware - the barrels

Add: this goes for like 90% of cable makers, but I always felt it was a bit lazy when the TOTLs and the special editions have the same hardware as every single other cable in the lineup. EA go halfway so to say, and design really nice splits, but the carbon fibre just doesn't feel like it belongs there idk

Ohh, okay, I gotcha now. What is it with us and cable barrels and misunderstandings? :D Yeah, I can see what you're getting at. The metal above and below the carbon fibre actually is the same material as the Y-split, but I can see how someone like you would prefer a full titanium barrel on the plug for - as I love to say - perfect visual continuity. :)

Great reading, and I was delighted to finally hear some impressions of the Code 51 vs Eletech's Iliad :)

Thanks man! :) Yeah, both are very high-performing cables to my ears, but aimed at different listeners with different preferences as well. The comparison actually also made me gain more appreciation for the Janus D; very musical, organic-sounding and laid-back - gentle and steps out of the way, if you will. I never really revisited it after my initial review because it only came in 2.5mm, and I hated the notion of lugging around a pigtail adapter. But, ever since I got those tiny DD-HiFi adapters, I can definitely see myself using the Janus D more often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back