flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 2, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #21,961 of 39,414
there is also a very even frequency response overall, no harshness at all in the highs, and complete driver coherency
Well said, Toaster, that is why I used the word seamless to describe the entire frequency range. “No harshness at all in the highs” I will change the “highs” to the entire frequency range. Sooo smooth that each note has a sense of roundness to it but at the same time can present itself with snaps and bites when call for. As for timbre, when I listen to the flute plays, I hear first the air making up the sound, not just the tone, or when I listen, for instance, Yo Yo Ma’s Paris: La Belle Époque, I can feel the wave of vibrations from the string of the Cello in a tight manner, none of those DD‘s soft slow reacting sound. I really think in addition to the magical tuning the 4 BAs that make up the bass section performs extremely well. I miss nothing in the low frequency either in quality or quantity. I don’t know how they tune the treble, but there is absolutely no harshness or piercing for as high as it will go. This thing is something special.

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #21,962 of 39,414
...each note has a sense of roundness to it but at the same time can present itself with snaps and bites when call for. As for timbre, when I listen to the flute plays, I hear first the air making up the sound, not just the tone, or when I listen, for instance, Yo Yo Ma’s Paris: La Belle Époque, I can feel the wave of vibrations from the string of the Cello in a tight manner...

Generally agree with your thoughts on the erlky, @Jalo, and certainly agree on the above portion of what you said.

There is a roundness and power to notes that i've simply not heard from bas before. While the smooth attacks of notes remind me very much of a dynamic driver, the detail and speed of a ba is also present. The bass on the erlkonig, particularly on setting 2, (which i believe we both now use @Jalo,) is truly exceptional, and among the best bass i've ever heard.

For the record, i still think the mids and vocals on the elysium have an ever so slight edge (or lack thereof,) in terms of sheer organicity. but the erlkonig is very, very close, and nearly as good.

i'm try to avoid using words like, "magic" to describe anything about the erlky, mainly to be as objective and helpful as i can.

that said, it's possible there is a bit of magic in those little silver shells...

:upside_down:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #21,963 of 39,414
in jakarta?

does anyone know how many erlkys ve has sold? curious how many are out there.
Yes. The switchable faceplate also seems to be attractive for the Oil Emirates Royals with their abundant supply and fondness of gold.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #21,964 of 39,414
Yes. The switchable faceplate seems to be attractive for the Oil Emirates Royals with their abundant supply and fondness of gold.

indubitably.

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #21,966 of 39,414
it's crazy that anything has more drivers than the a18...

enjoy your new pickup, @MrLocoLuciano!

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #21,968 of 39,414
Hi guys long time no see. I've been hibernating at work. Here's something I wrote awhile ago but haven't converted to Head-Fi's review format yet. It's a flagship in all senses of the word, an uber-expensive triple hybrid from Malaysian CIEM maker Elysian Acoustic Labs.

This is the Annihilator.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/elysian-acoustic-labs-annihilator.24297/reviews#item-review-23508

1586396659441.png

Enjoy reading guys, and please stay safe.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #21,969 of 39,414
Short Review of Dunu Luna
I don't typically write reviews, but since this is a fairly new IEM with limited reviews, I want to help people decide if this is an IEM worth purchasing. As a disclaimer, I'm a part of the Dunu Luna personal loaner program, so I put down a $600 deposit and get a 2 week review period. At the end of the period, I either buy the Luna (minus deposit cost + I return the review unit and they send me a new one) or return the Luna (I get the deposit refunded minus shipping cost).

Sources Used
  • Music: FLAC, Tidal, and Spotify
  • Components: iFi Micro iDSD BL and Radsone ES 100

Accessories
I have the review unit, so I don't have the original packaging, but I believe I still have most of the accessories that come stock.
  • Ear tips: There's a lot to choose from, more about this later.
  • Cable: The stock cable has a nice comfortable feel. I really enjoyed the modular design of the cable, switching between 3.5 and 2.5 was a lot easier than switching cables. Definitely interested in buying some Dunu cables for my other IEMs.
  • Carrying Case: On the bigger side of what comes stock with other IEMs. Due to the two-halves wallet/clutch purse like design, you could fit a whole DAP on one side and keep the Luna safe on the other side.
Comfort
These are some comfortable IEM with a small body and shallow insertion (similar to Beyerdynamic Xelento). I have smaller ears, but was able to wear these for hours with no issues at all. While I generally prefer deeper insertions, I didn't have any issues with the shallower insertions on the Luna. I don't want to speak for others, but I think almost everyone would have find the Luna comfortable for long hearing sessions. For some comparisons, the Xelentos have a slightly shallower insertion while the Solaris SE have a deeper insertion. Both the Luna and Xelento can sit in my ears for hours without any issues, but for the Solaris SE, I do have to shift them around after 45m-1h because they cause some hotspots on my ears. As for eartips, the ones that I found the best seals with are JVC Spiral Dots and stock blue tips. Just for reference, I also tried Symbio (regular and peel), JVC Spiral Dots ++, Final Type E, and Spinfit.

Sound
I wouldn't disagree with people if they called it balanced because it overall is a very balanced IEM. However, between warm or bright, I'd say it leans more bright. In terms of quantity, the treble > mid > bass.
  • Bass: It's not bass lite, but the bass sits behind the mids and treble. There's decent sub-bass; quantity wise, I think it works well with the rest of the IEM. However, I do think it lacks a little bit of rumble compared to what I normally expect from DD bass.
  • Mids: The mids are forward, with an emphasis towards the uppermids. Male vocals lack a little bit of warmth, but the details for vocals are great. It can bit a little shouty on certain songs.
  • Trebles: The trebles are the most prominent (but not overwhelming). The clarity is great and detailed. I would call it bright-adjacent because it's not as bright as many bright IEMs I've tried, but it's definitely not warm. The treble also helps with the imaging, giving it good instrument separation.
  • Technicalities: The Luna has a pretty revealing signature, detail retrieval was good.
  • Soundstage: Soundstage is average. Vocals are pretty forward with the rest of the frequency sitting a little back.
Comparisons
CA Solaris SE
  • Comfort: The Luna's smaller build makes it more comfortable to wear for extended listening sessions.
  • Sound
    • Bass: The Solaris SE has more sub-bass and mid-bass. It also hits a bit tighter than the Luna, with faster attack and less decay.
    • Mids: The Luna has more forward mids, especially the upper mids (which the solaris lacks a bit). Vocals are much more forward on the Luna. Luna sounds brighter, though I wouldn't call the Solaris SE a dark/warm IEM.
    • Treble: Luna has more treble, there's a bit more strike on cymbals.
    • Technicalities: Probably a wash. The Luna has more clarity so it can sound more detailed, but I think they're about the same when it comes to actual detail retreival.
    • Soundstage: Solaris SE has a more width and depth.
Beyerdynamic Xelento
  • Comfort: About the same, though I like the Luna more because it feels more secure. The Xelento would occasionally slip loose if I was moving around.
  • Sound
    • Bass: The Xelento has much more bass than the Luna. It's hard to compare because there's such a drastic difference in bass quantity but I think the Xelento has faster attack than the Luna while they both have similar decay.
    • Mids: The Luna has much more forward mids; the mids on the xelento are noticeably recessed. On the Xelento, vocals take backstage while the vocals are frontstage on the Luna.
    • Treble: The Luna has better extension than the Xelento. There's more "air" on the Luna.
    • Technicalities: The Luna wins here, it has better detail retrieval.
    • Soundstage: The Luna soundstage is greater than the Xelento, which is pretty intimate.

Overall, I think the Luna is a solid IEM and I don't have any major qualms with it. I think it's competitive at it's price-point and I don't think many people would be disappointed by it. If you're treble sensitive, you might find it a bit hot, but I didn't have any issues there. If you're a basshead, this isn't the IEM for you. The form-factor is nice, especially since so many of my IEMs are on the bulkier side. I really enjoyed how forward and revealing the vocals are. I don't know if I will keep the Luna, but that's more because I'm trying to slim down my IEM collection, not because I find the Luna lacking.

I hope every enjoyed this review! I still have the Luna for a day or two, so let me know if there are any follow-up questions.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #21,970 of 39,414
I don't typically write reviews, but since this is a fairly new IEM with limited reviews, I want to help people decide if this is an IEM worth purchasing. As a disclaimer, I'm a part of the Dunu Luna personal loaner program, so I put down a $600 deposit and get a 2 week review period. At the end of the period, I either buy the Luna (minus deposit cost + I return the review unit and they send me a new one) or return the Luna (I get the deposit refunded minus shipping cost).

Sources Used

Accessories
I have the review unit, so I don't have the original packaging, but I believe I still have most of the accessories that come stock.
  • Cable: The stock cable has a nice comfortable feel. I really enjoyed the modular design of the cable, switching between 3.5 and 2.5 was a lot easier than switching cables. Definitely interested in buying some Dunu cables for my other IEMs.
  • Carrying Case: On the bigger side of what comes stock with other IEMs. Due to the two-halves wallet/clutch purse like design, you could fit a whole DAP on one side and keep the Luna safe on the other side.
Comfort
These are some comfortable IEM with a small body and shallow insertion (similar to Beyerdynamic Xelento). I have smaller ears, but was able to wear these for hours with no issues at all. While I generally prefer deeper insertions, I didn't have any issues with the shallower insertions on the Luna. I don't want to speak for others, but I think almost everyone would have find the Luna comfortable for long hearing sessions. For some comparisons, the Xelentos have a slightly shallower insertion while the Solaris SE have a deeper insertion. Both the Luna and Xelento can sit in my ears for hours without any issues, but for the Solaris SE, I do have to shift them around after 45m-1h because they cause some hotspots on my ears. As for eartips, the ones that I found the best seals with are JVC Spiral Dots and stock blue tips. Just for reference, I also tried Symbio (regular and peel), JVC Spiral Dots ++, Final Type E, and Spinfit.

Sound
I wouldn't disagree with people if they called it balanced because it overall is a very balanced IEM. However, between warm or bright, I'd say it leans more bright. In terms of quantity, the treble > mid > bass.
  • Bass: It's not bass lite, but the bass sits behind the mids and treble. There's decent sub-bass; quantity wise, I think it works well with the rest of the IEM. However, I do think it lacks a little bit of rumble compared to what I normally expect from DD bass.
  • Mids: The mids are forward, with an emphasis towards the uppermids. Male vocals lack a little bit of warmth, but the details for vocals are great. It can bit a little shouty on certain songs.
  • Trebles: The trebles are the most prominent (but not overwhelming). The clarity is great and detailed. I would call it bright-adjacent because it's not as bright as many bright IEMs I've tried, but it's definitely not warm. The treble also helps with the imaging, giving it good instrument separation.
  • Technicalities: The Luna has a pretty revealing signature, detail retrieval was good.
  • Soundstage: Soundstage is average. Vocals are pretty forward with the rest of the frequency sitting a little back.
Comparisons
CA Solaris SE
  • Comfort: The Luna's smaller build makes it more comfortable to wear for extended listening sessions.
  • Sound
    • Bass: The Solaris SE has more sub-bass and mid-bass. It also hits a bit tighter than the Luna, with faster attack and less decay.
    • Mids: The Luna has more forward mids, especially the upper mids (which the solaris lacks a bit). Vocals are much more forward on the Luna. Luna sounds brighter, though I wouldn't call the Solaris SE a dark/warm IEM.
    • Technicalities: Probably a wash. The Luna has more clarity so it can sound more detailed, but I think they're about the same when it comes to actual detail retreival.
Beyerdynamic Xelento
  • Comfort: About the same, though I like the Luna more because it feels more secure. The Xelento would occasionally slip loose if I was moving around.
  • Sound
    • Bass: The Xelento has much more bass than the Luna. It's hard to compare because there's such a drastic difference in bass quantity but I think the Xelento has faster attack than the Luna while they both have similar decay.
    • Mids: The Luna has much more forward mids; the mids on the xelento are noticeably recessed. On the Xelento, vocals take backstage while the vocals are frontstage on the Luna.
    • Treble: The Luna has better extension than the Xelento. There's more "air" on the Luna.
    • Soundstage: The Luna soundstage is greater than the Xelento, which is pretty intimate.

Overall, I think the Luna is a solid IEM and I don't have any major qualms with it. I think it's competitive at it's price-point and I don't think many people would be disappointed by it. If you're treble sensitive, you might find it a bit hot, but I didn't have any issues there. If you're a basshead, this isn't the IEM for you. The form-factor is nice, especially since so many of my IEMs are on the bulkier side. I really enjoyed how forward and revealing the vocals are. I don't know if I will keep the Luna, but that's more because I'm trying to slim down my IEM collection, not because I find the Luna lacking.

I hope every enjoyed this review! I still have the Luna for a day or two, so let me know if there are any follow-up questions.
Very nice review, and great to have the comparisons! It really feels objective and honest.
One question: could you add a comparison between the sound with the ES100 and the iDSD?

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #21,971 of 39,414
Very nice review, and great to have the comparisons! It really feels objective and honest.
One question: could you add a comparison between the sound with the ES100 and the iDSD?

I'll mess around with it and let you know.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #21,972 of 39,414

Sources Used

Accessories
Comfort

Sound
Comparisons
CA Solaris SE
  • Sound
Beyerdynamic Xelento
  • Sound

Thank you for the review! Very informative and concise!

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #21,973 of 39,414
Just curious what c/iems people would reccomend for progressive rock and metal? Budget around £500 or so give or take. Currently using Fibae 2 from CA but wouldn't mind a change if anyone can suggest something different. I tend to a warmer sound but have been advised that rock and metal perform better with a more treble orientated approach?

Thanks

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #21,974 of 39,414
What iems are the absolute best. Cost no object, în the sense of pure resolution, transparency and detail ability? Preferably no sharp peaky sound but transparency and resolution to be top notch?

But I know this is an iem thread.. However what would be a headphone that does this as well?

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #21,975 of 39,414
What iems are the absolute best. Cost no object, în the sense of pure resolution, transparency and detail ability? Preferably no sharp peaky sound but transparency and resolution to be top notch?

But I know this is an iem thread.. However what would be a headphone that does this as well?

Erlkonig fits that quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back