flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 22, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #21,826 of 39,414
My ex even carried around wipes to wipe off chairs, tables, etc before she'd touch anything. She must be going f'ing nuts right now :)

Hey, a noob question... I bought a ddHiFi 2.5mm balanced female -> 4.4 balanced male adapter (DJ44A). Works great to connect my Lola's up to my HiBy R6 4.4 balanced...

But I accidentally also ordered the DJ35A, which is 2.5mm BAL female to 3.5mm Male (presumably unbalanced)

I thought you always had to go balanced -> balanced and never unbalanced -> balanced? o would it be ok (as in, not damaging my IEM's) to connect:

Lola -> DJ35A 2.5MM Balanced Female -> Dragonfly Red @ 3.5mm unbalance female connector?

Thanks!

You can fry a balanced amp if you connect an unbalanced cable. So never do that.
But it is safe to connect a balanced cable to an unbalanced amp via an adaptor.

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #21,828 of 39,414
Mar 22, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #21,829 of 39,414
@Jalo is correct. A lot of the confusion regarding balanced -> unbalanced or unbalanced -> balanced has to do with the direction you're looking at it from. Just remember: You can turn a balanced cable into an unbalanced cable, like what you're doing right now with your adaptor. But, you can't turn an unbalanced cable into a balanced cable with adaptors. For example, if your cable is terminated with a 3.5mm male plug, then you somehow get an adaptor that changes it to a 2.5mm or 4.4mm male plug, then that's gonna damage your IEM or source.

It's also important to remember that only no-name OEMs on TaoBao would be irresponsible enough to make such damaging products. If you're getting your adapters from a reputable manufacturer like DD-HiFi, there shouldn't be any possibility for it to damage your gear in any way.

C'mon man, you're experienced enough to know better than to add to the confusion. :wink:
Wait wait my brain froze you’re right yet... I plug in my 4.4 cable in my Hugo2’s 3.5 legit every day What happened to me :D

Mar 22, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #21,830 of 39,414
My ex even carried around wipes to wipe off chairs, tables, etc before she'd touch anything. She must be going f'ing nuts right now :)

Hey, a noob question... I bought a ddHiFi 2.5mm balanced female -> 4.4 balanced male adapter (DJ44A). Works great to connect my Lola's up to my HiBy R6 4.4 balanced...

But I accidentally also ordered the DJ35A, which is 2.5mm BAL female to 3.5mm Male (presumably unbalanced)

I thought you always had to go balanced -> balanced and never unbalanced -> balanced? o would it be ok (as in, not damaging my IEM's) to connect:

Lola -> DJ35A 2.5MM Balanced Female -> Dragonfly Red @ 3.5mm unbalance female connector?

Thanks!
It is safe to go from balanced to unbalanced. Many will use 2.5mm balances cables because with adapters they can go to 4.4 balanced or 3.5 unbalanced.
It is never okay to go from unbalanced to balanced. So if you have a cable terminated as 3.5mm unbalanced, all connections must remain unbalanced.
I have an effect audio cable they is terminated as 2.5mm balanced and the adapters to make it work with either 4.4 balanced or 3.5 unbalanced. You are good. Tks.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #21,831 of 39,414
We recently had quite a few chats about Final Audio A8000 IEM. I just posted my full review, soon to be on head-fi as well. Enjoy the read!

final_a8000-22.jpg
Another insightful review. Thank you.
I was interested in your thoughts vs the Luna. At the show I went back and forth a couple of times between the two directly ( one and then Immediately the other) and felt the Luna’s
Bass was just as deep but had a bit more authority. I also thought I heard what I refer to as a metallic sound to the treble on the A8000 which you obviously did not hear. I would be interested to hear if others hear that as well as the reviews come in.
Anyway, thank you for your expert review.

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #21,832 of 39,414
Another insightful review. Thank you.
I was interested in your thoughts vs the Luna. At the show I went back and forth a couple of times between the two directly ( one and then Immediately the other) and felt the Luna’s
Bass was just as deep but had a bit more authority. I also thought I heard what I refer to as a metallic sound to the treble on the A8000 which you obviously did not hear. I would be interested to hear if others hear that as well as the reviews come in.
Anyway, thank you for your expert review.

Cold tonality yes, metallic, not really. Audeze EL8C is an example of metallic treble tonality in my book :wink: Keep in mind, A8000 I tested at home had 200hrs of burn in and I applied a double layer of provided filters, all of which smoothed out that 6.5k peak. I talked about it here, also provided comparison measurements.

Mar 23, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #21,833 of 39,414
with all the Corona madness , buying a 1960s 2w cable for my Zeus from a fellow EU Headfier 10 days ago now seems like a genius move , considering how many hours i spend indoors listening to music

Music , is like Prozac and Lexotanil combined - makes you happy , makes you calm.

Music saves.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #21,834 of 39,414
Cold tonality yes, metallic, not really. Audeze EL8C is an example of metallic treble tonality in my book :wink: Keep in mind, A8000 I tested at home had 200hrs of burn in and I applied a double layer of provided filters, all of which smoothed out that 6.5k peak. I talked about it here, also provided comparison measurements.
wow those EL-8's are sweet. I wonder how I didn't hear about those... I have the LCD-2's and I love them. I wonder what the difference is? Looks nice to have a lightning cable

*edit* just looked at them. Looks like those are the legacy ones

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #21,835 of 39,414
I was going to ask what you meant by those filters. Thanks for explaining it!

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #21,836 of 39,414
Long distance relationships mean that sometimes you watch the same videos with each other. Since she uses her speakers to watch and I only put one ear of my earphones in, I've had some strange experiences where the sound from her speaker and the sound in my iem matches ends up with some pseudo constructive and destructive interference. Sometimes it's so trippy that it actually forms a soundstage.

Mar 24, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #21,837 of 39,414
Well day one of lockdown in the uk for the foreseeable (at least until june!) and just about made it. Got underlying health issues (asthma and other fun stuff) so work have agreed for me to self isolate until this is over. As I do scanning it's pretty much impossible to work from home so I've got a lot of free time on my hands now. Wouldn't have minded so much but I've only just gone back from being off with the non coronavirus flu I had that kept me off for a week, and I was climbing the walls then!

Stay safe everyone.

Mar 24, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #21,838 of 39,414
Hey guys! Here is my take on Fearless Roland (link) on Twister6. Check it out and let me know how you like it and if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

Roland Collage.jpg

Mar 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #21,839 of 39,414
I will be working from home indefinitely due to the coronavirus, so I will be able to listen to my CIEMs now while I work. I don't do it at the chemical plant, because I have to hear the emergency alarm if it goes and also people come to my office often. It will be great listening while working as I have always wished I could like others.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #21,840 of 39,414
I will be working from home indefinitely due to the coronavirus, so I will be able to listen to my CIEMs now while I work. I don't do it at the chemical plant, because I have to hear the emergency alarm if it goes and also people come to my office often. It will be great listening while working as I have always wished I could like others.
Yeah that's the nice part of working from home. I've been listening to John Coltrane 24/192 all day on my LCD-2s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back