flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #20,521 of 39,414
I don’t have a craze for a particular frequency range, what I would like to hear is a nicely balanced presentation. And like I said, I found the Z1R fulfills this criteria, as simple as that.
Natural rather than balanced maybe

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #20,522 of 39,414
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #20,523 of 39,414
I don’t have a craze for a particular frequency range, what I would like to hear is a nicely balanced presentation. And like I said, I found the Z1R fulfills this criteria, as simple as that.
Could try IER-Z1R this week-end with modded WM1Z and stock cable. Mids were smooth and consistent, nothing to complain about, not what I would call recessed frequency (like on Trinity SS for ex).
We all have different expectations :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #20,524 of 39,414
So.... whatever happened to flinkenick? It's like he disappeared and stopped writing reviews

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #20,525 of 39,414
So.... whatever happened to flinkenick?
giphy.gif

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #20,526 of 39,414
So.... whatever happened to flinkenick? It's like he disappeared and stopped writing reviews
After the shootout Nic started a small, but highly lucrative business selling running shoes for tortoises. It was so successful that he ended up buying a small island in the pacific where he is currently working on his latest endeavour in polar bear bikinis. :D (He's doing fine, just moved on to other things. :wink: )

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #20,527 of 39,414
The A18t should be a tad less bright than the U18t, but with superior technical merits. I should have an A18t myself within the next few weeks, so I’ll be able to substantiate those claims as well. :)

Custom vs Universal 18

- Better (more powerful and more textured) bass
- Softer (but more detailed) treble
- Better stage positioning
- More overall detail

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #20,528 of 39,414

He's that rarest of all audiophiles - the one that got to the TOTL summit and then actually got out...

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #20,529 of 39,414

Okay, I'm not actually here to share this video, but I'm here because I was listening to Amos' impressions in the background of my work, and he drops something. I had my iems in and was unaware at the time and literally thought I just dropped something in front of my desk. However, I don't get fooled again after listening more deliberately. In fact, now the noise sounds right up close to me. Anyone know enough about audio psychology to know why this happens? I think this is why I have trouble listening to soundstage depth; I have a hard time letting myself get fooled into listening to depth. Also, I feel like it is perhaps a reason behind me constantly changing the music I listen to as of late.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #20,530 of 39,414

Okay, I'm not actually here to share this video, but I'm here because I was listening to Amos' impressions in the background of my work, and he drops something. I had my iems in and was unaware at the time and literally thought I just dropped something in front of my desk. However, I don't get fooled again after listening more deliberately. In fact, now the noise sounds right up close to me. Anyone know enough about audio psychology to know why this happens? I think this is why I have trouble listening to soundstage depth; I have a hard time letting myself get fooled into listening to depth. Also, I feel like it is perhaps a reason behind me constantly changing the music I listen to as of late.

I'm not too deep into audio psychology, but I don't think new music is a problem. Quite the opposite actually, when I listen to stuff that I hear all the time my mind ends up filling in a lot of detail that isn't really there. That's why I normally test with new music, and then listen to those same tracks with highly detailed IEMs to see just how much is really there

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #20,531 of 39,414
That's why I normally test with new music, and then listen to those same tracks with highly detailed IEMs to see just how much is really there
I find this happens at times too, I nearly thought a pair of airpods was putting out the same details my iems were reproducing except that I was just hearing things from my memory

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #20,532 of 39,414
I find this happens at times too, I nearly thought a pair of airpods was putting out the same details my iems were reproducing except that I was just hearing things from my memory
My sister got the AirPods pro so I spent a few days this week with them and they're actually pretty decent for pop/EDM. Good bass, though lacking depth, great vocals, and very pleasant treble. Doesn't have amazing extension and a lot of stuff from the midrange are missing, but given the amazing functionality and convenience, I'd say they're pretty alright all in all

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #20,535 of 39,414
So @Deezel177 hooked me on yet another great product with the PW Audio n°10 cable, and indeed as advertised a very nice cable and fantastic value for money as well as pairing with the F7.

CD27BCAA-D786-47E1-BB14-50A0ADF0D708.jpeg

It really brings extra body and weight all across the range but I also enjoy the rich textures as well as the lower treble energy.

It won't be for everyone though, this adds energy and bite to an already quite energetic IEM and depending on the source I could see it be a bit too much for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back