flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 24, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #19,066 of 39,414
I'm looking for a little guidance on my next IEM. Particular models I'm interested in include:

Noble Katana, Noble Encore (read as a Katana+bass), Campfire Solaris, 64 Audio U12 (non Tia), and the Itsfit Lab Fusion.

I've been enjoying a CIEM EE Spartan IV for quite some time now, transparent vocals, forward mids (which I like), slight warmth in the mids and treble but with a touch of sparkle, really wide soundstage which feels you are about 2 rows back with great imaging. Really only downside I feel is the bass, though expected for a BA, a little too lean and lacking rumble for my taste. I've read it before as a "Zeus" lite without the bass. I've just come to terms with parting with my Fearless S8, which I liked but found the upper mids a little harsh, bass slightly too rumbly and disjointing on certain busy tracks and a slightly narrower Soundstage. I believe what I would prefer is a more neutral IEM tuned a little north in the lower registers. Listening preferences tend towards post punk/dark wave, stoner/psych rock, and jazz. Occasionally reaching out to classical, but I find the Spartans fine for that.

The hype interest is for the Fusion, so any commentary on that compared to any mentioned would be appreciated, of course with any other additions.

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #19,067 of 39,414
Speaking of the Fusion, anyone from the previous sale received notification of posting on their universal yet? I ordered on the 3/11, and no sign of universal shipping out yet. Ironic that all the CIEM orders seem to have been done - guess they are doing the uni in one large batch. So much for the 1 week estimate on their website...

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #19,068 of 39,414
I'm looking for a little guidance on my next IEM. Particular models I'm interested in include:

Noble Katana, Noble Encore (read as a Katana+bass), Campfire Solaris, 64 Audio U12 (non Tia), and the Itsfit Lab Fusion.

I've been enjoying a CIEM EE Spartan IV for quite some time now, transparent vocals, forward mids (which I like), slight warmth in the mids and treble but with a touch of sparkle, really wide soundstage which feels you are about 2 rows back with great imaging. Really only downside I feel is the bass, though expected for a BA, a little too lean and lacking rumble for my taste. I've read it before as a "Zeus" lite without the bass. I've just come to terms with parting with my Fearless S8, which I liked but found the upper mids a little harsh, bass slightly too rumbly and disjointing on certain busy tracks and a slightly narrower Soundstage. I believe what I would prefer is a more neutral IEM tuned a little north in the lower registers. Listening preferences tend towards post punk/dark wave, stoner/psych rock, and jazz. Occasionally reaching out to classical, but I find the Spartans fine for that.

The hype interest is for the Fusion, so any commentary on that compared to any mentioned would be appreciated, of course with any other additions.
U12 doesn't sound easy to come by these days, 64 audio gear can be overwhelming into he subbass registers imo. They were designed as stage monitors and have pronounced bass due to the louder environment and the fact that performers are more used to hearing their instruments with more bass (acoustic instruments are bassier sounding up close).

Unfortunately, I can't provide much in terms of recommendations with regards to the other options you are considering. Well maybe the Solaris, which has a treble peak that doesn't sound bad, but renders everything with too much clarity to the point where dark sounding recordings present with too much liveliness. I think a lot of people would like it though, just not me.

Maybe try Lime Ears or some JH gear? They both have tunable bass though I can't comment much on Lime Ears since my country doesn't really have them.

Nov 24, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #19,069 of 39,414
Nov 24, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #19,070 of 39,414
Glad I asked you.:wink: Thanks for the info! On to the next one. . .

Sad to hear of @mvvRAZ's luck with the Athena. I have the newer gunmetal 2-pin connectors and the Pentaconn plug. I have a feeling the 2-pin connectors are identical to Eidolic (at least they look and feel like it) and the Pentaconn plug speaks for itself. Maybe their "standard" termination offerings are not up to the likes of the $888 Leonidas 2, but I would suggest contacting them and asking about the plug options you can choose for a few bucks more. For under $500, I'm extremely pleased with this cable (build quality and sound quality) and Satin as a company. Just wanted to give you an additional opinion.

-Collin-

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #19,071 of 39,414
Well maybe the Solaris, which has a treble peak that doesn't sound bad, but renders everything with too much clarity to the point where dark sounding recordings present with too much liveliness. I think a lot of people would like it though, just not me.
Man just attache one of them gold bois into it to darken the sound, matches the faceplate as well.

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #19,072 of 39,414
U12 doesn't sound easy to come by these days, 64 audio gear can be overwhelming into he subbass registers imo. They were designed as stage monitors and have pronounced bass due to the louder environment and the fact that performers are more used to hearing their instruments with more bass (acoustic instruments are bassier sounding up close).

Unfortunately, I can't provide much in terms of recommendations with regards to the other options you are considering. Well maybe the Solaris, which has a treble peak that doesn't sound bad, but renders everything with too much clarity to the point where dark sounding recordings present with too much liveliness. I think a lot of people would like it though, just not me.

Maybe try Lime Ears or some JH gear? They both have tunable bass though I can't comment much on Lime Ears since my country doesn't really have them.

Does the Tia driver of the U12T correct these issues, or is that more a comment of all 64 audio being sub bass heavy. I'd prefer dark to remain dark with my musical taste. I will look into the Aether R, but hard to find. The QDC 8 Hifi and AAW W900 are also now in my short list.

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #19,073 of 39,414
ELYSIUM Review up - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/22939/

My take on the ELYSIUM is that the MIDs are the star of the show,but the BASS comes in a close second being a co-star. Scaled up correctly, this CIEM reaches EXOTIC status and bests my HD800s, HEX, and LCD2.2.

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #19,074 of 39,414
I think I will have to work on getting the Vision Ears ERLKöNIG on tour in the US alongside the VE8 and ELYSIUM to hear what it can do. After hearing those, I am a Vision Ears believer now.

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #19,075 of 39,414
Does the Tia driver of the U12T correct these issues, or is that more a comment of all 64 audio being sub bass heavy. I'd prefer dark to remain dark with my musical taste. I will look into the Aether R, but hard to find. The QDC 8 Hifi and AAW W900 are also now in my short list.
I own an A12t which is tuned dark. The U12t should be bright enough to be considered W shaped. Either way, you will be treated to excellent resolution and texture when paired with the right gear (silver cable). All 64 gear is bass and subbass heavy though, both for the brighter and darker treble tunings.

The QDC 8 hifi might be a good fit per your descriptions actually, though bear in mind the delayed treble timing will give you a sense of over brightness at first. Give it some time and it will develop into a large sense of space with a pretty neutral signature.

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #19,077 of 39,414
Speaking of the Fusion, anyone from the previous sale received notification of posting on their universal yet? I ordered on the 3/11, and no sign of universal shipping out yet. Ironic that all the CIEM orders seem to have been done - guess they are doing the uni in one large batch. So much for the 1 week estimate on their website...

Getting it shipped today, my universals. :ksc75smile:

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #19,078 of 39,414
Also I tried an iem from the most hated company Light Harmonic Oscar it was great ( also too expensive ) and no matter how good it is I will never support it even if I could.

Just say no to Larry Ho! Amen brother.

I've just come to terms with parting with my Fearless S8, which I liked but found the upper mids a little harsh, bass slightly too rumbly and disjointing

I sold it for the lower treble which was great for clarity, but just too damn intense for me. Upper mids were pushing it, but I kind of like that . I had to learn the hard way that the concha gain of the Harman carried too much intensity past 4khz for my liking. Just results in wincing sibilance for me. At least on s8f

I have the newer gunmetal 2-pin connectors and the Pentaconn plug. I have a feeling the 2-pin connectors are identical to Eidolic (at least they look and feel like it)

I thought the same thing when seeing the exploded pic of it on their website. Plus it has the tellurium copper pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back