flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 6, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #17,056 of 39,414
Same. So far Empire's universals have the unique distinction of not slowly ejecting themselves from my left ear.

Decided to see if I can flip the Khan before 64 Audio finishes their sale.

Any issues with tips coming off? Half tempted to get a bravado in the sale, but my usual issues with universals means there's probably not a lot of point really :frowning2:

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #17,057 of 39,414
From what @SeeSax has told me his cables sound incredibly good, but lack a bit in ergonomics compared to others. I would love to try them myself, at the moment though I am quite happy to leave the cable rolling for a bit and just listen to the pairings I have settled on for now.

Interestingly, I came across his new RSD Extreme yesterday while browsing the Rhapsodio Facebook page. Single planar driver:
I own two cables from Sammy, the Silver Litz 4 braid and the Golden mk 3. The cables both sound good but yes, the ergonomics are not the best. Not the worst mind you, but not the best.

Jul 6, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #17,058 of 39,414
From what @SeeSax has told me his cables sound incredibly good, but lack a bit in ergonomics compared to others. I would love to try them myself, at the moment though I am quite happy to leave the cable rolling for a bit and just listen to the pairings I have settled on for now.

Interestingly, I came across his new RSD Extreme yesterday while browsing the Rhapsodio Facebook page. Single planar driver:

Sammy makes some wonderfully comfortable cables and also some nightmares. Sadly the TOTL “Wizard” cables fall into the latter. He has a new Copper Wizard 2-wire though that looks super comfy.

Thanks for posting the Planar. I’m intrigued :)

-Collin-

Jul 6, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #17,059 of 39,414
Hey guys, I have been meaning to get something off my chest for a while. Around 3 months back, when mimouille asked here, what we thought of @toranku 's impressions thread, I made a post criticising Toranku's approach and his theories. When I made that post, there was a trend of people bashing IEMs to appear cool, and I took Toranku to be one such person. But after reading this post he made on his thread and a private chat with him, it became clear that he was sincere and had nothing but good intention. I was way out of line with my post and I judged him too quickly. But beyond all that, I had no right to criticise a fellow head-fier like that, that too in public. And for that reason, I think it is only fair that I apologise to him in public. I hope he can forgive me for that post.

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #17,060 of 39,414
Any issues with tips coming off? Half tempted to get a bravado in the sale, but my usual issues with universals means there's probably not a lot of point really :frowning2:
Not while wearing them. But if you take them off to clean or tip roll, you might have to wait a bit before using them as they often slide off when you do that.

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #17,061 of 39,414
It is the only build fault of Empire Ears and I have highlighted it in one review and it is mentioned in my upcoming Legend X review. Their nozzles are short and all it would require is a lip at the end of the nozzle to hold the tip upon removal. It also cancels out any chance of using custom tips.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #17,062 of 39,414
DOH!

So I was cleaning my Khans after a sweaty walk home from the train station. And one of the earpieces came loose from the cable. Played around for a couple minutes and thought it was a socket issue. Then I noticed the 2 pin covers werent flush with the IEM depsite the stock cable sitting flush and I never had the fit issue. So I decided to give it a little more force and it slipped right in with a slight click. Fit is a lot better so far, needs more testing.

TL:DR I lack experience with flushed sockets.

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #17,063 of 39,414
Hey guys, I have been meaning to get something off my chest for a while. Around 3 months back, when mimouille asked here, what we thought of @toranku 's impressions thread, I made a post criticising Toranku's approach and his theories. When I made that post, there was a trend of people bashing IEMs to appear cool, and I took Toranku to be one such person. But after reading this post he made on his thread and a private chat with him, it became clear that he was sincere and had nothing but good intention. I was way out of line with my post and I judged him too quickly. But beyond all that, I had no right to criticise a fellow head-fier like that, that too in public. And for that reason, I think it is only fair that I apologise to him in public. I hope he can forgive me for that post.

Hey no problems man we all can learn things together and from each other :)

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 7, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #17,065 of 39,414
After months of waiting, both from research/yearning and logistics, finally got my Auteurs in.

Haven't had much time to listen to them yet as in-laws are visiting from out of town, so have kept them burning in, but very initial impressions: their impeccable craftsmanship is surpassed only by their absolutely gorgeous sound. Can't wait to spend more time with them.

20190706_115449.jpg

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #17,066 of 39,414
Hi everyone! Getting back into the IEM game and wanted to get people’s impressions between the UE Reference Remastered (UE RR) vs the 64Audio A6t. I was able to demo both briefly but wasn’t able to do a back-to-back comparison.

Also anyone with experience comparing the build quality of customs between UE and 64Audio?

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #17,068 of 39,414
Hi everyone! Getting back into the IEM game and wanted to get people’s impressions between the UE Reference Remastered (UE RR) vs the 64Audio A6t. I was able to demo both briefly but wasn’t able to do a back-to-back comparison.

Also anyone with experience comparing the build quality of customs between UE and 64Audio?

As long as you handle them carefully, I doubt either should give you reasons for concern with build quality at least. These things are designed to stand up to the rigours of live stage performances after all.

Jul 7, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #17,069 of 39,414
Hey no problems man we all can learn things together and from each other :)
Classy! Both of you.:thumbsup:
Will there be another shootout in 2019
I realize it takes a hell alot of time and work but it would be of so much help for us that are looking to upgrade for a totl iem in 2019
I very much doubt anyone will take on such an endeavour any time soon. Certainly not Nic, who I think is enjoying his retirement from reviewing [insert picture of Nic sipping piña coladas on a tropical beach]. The problem with doing a shootout like Nic did is that it takes an awful lot of time and effort, requires the support of a number of manufacturers, and will still be bloody expensive. Not really sure who will be mad, skilled and connected enough to pull it off.

Jul 7, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #17,070 of 39,414
Not to mention everyone who has ever done a shootout will proceed to retire lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back