flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 2, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #15,781 of 39,414
Hey guys, I am just curious. If you were allowed to make your Dream IEM, how would you want it to sound like? To keep things simple, let’s consider just these 5 aspects. I am curious to see your picks. Let me go first:

Bass - Tia Fourte
Mids - Zeus-XIV
Treble - S-EM9 (from distant memory)
Tone - 64Audio A10
Soundstage - Tia Fourte

(Btw, I am leaving the LCD-i4 out for this exercise)
@Mimouille it's called dream for a reason
Bass - A12t (with no mental burn in cancellation)
Mids - VE8
Treble - VE8
Tone - VE8
Detail retrieval and soundstage - far field 2-channel :smirk:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #15,782 of 39,414
Hey guys, I am just curious. If you were allowed to make your Dream IEM, how would you want it to sound like? To keep things simple, let’s consider just these 5 aspects. I am curious to see your picks. Let me go first:

Bass - Tia Fourte
Mids - Zeus-XIV
Tone - 64Audio A10
Soundstage - Tia Fourte

Bass- Phantom
Mids - Zeus
Treble - Zeus
Tone - Zeus
Soundstage - Zeus

To say I have a mancrush on Zeus is an understatement

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #15,785 of 39,414
Hello everyone!! I have been a long time lurker in these forums just drooling over all the high end gear in this thread. I am on the lookout for my first high end in ear monitor. I've been long thinking about a custom iem so I don't have to mess around with tips. I have seen so many different companies and models that I am overwhelmed. I am looking for something less than $1,200 that has a neutral but slight preference of warmness, with a good low end. I own Imr R1 and find them a bit uncomfortable. These will be primarily driven by my LG g7 smartphone.
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it would be great to get some feedback and recommendations from this amazing community.

Welcome! Based on your preferences, I think 64Audio's A6t will suit you quite well.

Bass - Tia Fourte
Mids - Zeus-XIV
Tone - 64Audio A10
Soundstage - Tia Fourte

What an excellent idea for an exercise!

Off the top of my head, I'd probably go:

Bass - Sony IER-Z1R
Mids - Phantom LE
Treble - Anything Lime Ears/Vision Ears VE8
Tone - Phantom LE
Soundstage - FiR Audio M2 (for an ideal intimate)/M5 (for an ideal theatrical)

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #15,786 of 39,414
I still haven't heard anything from empire ears. but I hear the Zeus is king of the midrange :smirk:
Lets not remind the Canuck that Empire and Earsonics are the only thing he gets to demo.
What an excellent idea for an exercise!

Off the top of my head, I'd probably go:

Bass - Sony IER-Z1R
Mids - Phantom LE
Treble - Anything Lime Ears/Vision Ears VE8
Tone - Phantom LE
Soundstage - FiR Audio M2 (for an ideal intimate)/M5 (for an ideal theatrical)

You really like that Phantom LE sound eh Daniel?

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #15,788 of 39,414
Lets not remind the Canuck that Empire and Earsonics are the only thing he gets to demo.

You really like that Phantom LE sound eh Daniel?

I definitely, definitely do, but it also aligns more in terms of tone, timbre and structure with the rest of the parts I picked. Of course, I’m aware the treble and bass have a lot to do with the Phantom LE’s midrange as well, but this is a just-for-fun hypothetical, so I’m not taking it too seriously. :wink:

that's a very high compliment... Fir audio is also on my radar after that comment. Theatrical as in deep and wide type of stage?

Well, since in this hypothetical scenario I get to separate the treble from the soundstage, I essentially picked the treble tone I like most (regardless of the technical performance of the IEM itself) and that happened to be Lime Ears. The VE8’s is just as stunning, but more subtle too.

Yes, by theatrical I mean a presentation where instruments are further away from you and more operatic in arrangement. Intimate is more rock-out or seductive and up-close, depending on the tone. There are days when I want to sit back and let the music envelop me, then there are days when I wanna actively engage in the music. So, I picked an option for either scenario.

As I mentioned previously, the FiR Audio IEMs have a unique presentation where the background blends into your headspace. So essentially, it sounds like there’s no background and the instruments are floating on nothingness. The M2 has a smooth, slightly rolled-off treble (which is why it sounds warmer in tone and more intimate), but it still has that holographic space with effortlessly-separated instruments. It’s my ideal intimate because it retains the closeness and emotionality of the music, without the usual technical shortcomings that come with it. With all that said, I think why I picked the M5 is self-explanatory. :wink:

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #15,790 of 39,414
I admit currently i'm having my pink glasses on... so...

Bass - Trinity / LX
Mids - Phantom / Trinity
Treble - Trinity
Tone - Phantom
Soundstage - LX / Trinity

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #15,791 of 39,414
Bass - LX -3db
Mids - zeus/ve8 (hard to decide)
Treble - ve8
Tone - ve8
Soundstage - ve8

Ve8 is my daily driver and Im not really missing anything with a slight eq bump in the bass. But double DD bass with the rest of the ve8 sound sounds interesting..
Still exited about how good and engaging everything sounds with the ve8.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #15,792 of 39,414
This is a good game going.

Bass - Legend X
Mids - VE8/SE5U
Vocals - Gemini (if at all possible)
Treble - Fourté
Tone - VE8
Soundstage - Fourté

I'm basically asking for a less coherent VE8 lol.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #15,793 of 39,414
Interesting game! Best blend of stuff I've owned/spent a lot of time with:

Bass - CA Atlas / IMR R1 Zenith
Mids - Zeus-XR /JH Angie
Vocals - CA Solaris
Treble - Zeus-XR / CA Andromeda
Tone - CA Solaris / Flares Pro 2 HD
Soundstage - CA Solaris / Aurisonics ASG 2.5

Lots of split decisions there! Basically going for a big but ultra textured bass, forward and dense vocals, realistic tone with a tinge of sweetness and emotion and a treble that is just the right side of sparkly. Stage needs to be large and deep.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #15,794 of 39,414
Bass - Sony IER-Z1R / CA Equinox
Mids - CA Andromeda S
Treble - 64 Audio A18t
Tone - Audeze iSine 20 (with Cipher cable)
Soundstage - Sony IER-Z1R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back