flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 3, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #14,972 of 39,414
you’d need a pre-amp

or get a 32 bit DAC with a very low noise floor from it's 2 volt out. Drive the active speakers directly and attenuate digitally with TPDF dither. This dither algorithm is very similar to what Chord uses on their volume controls. Of course you need well shielded RCA cables kept to short distances to achieve this. If you want to run them longer distance, you need more voltage (signal:noise). Or go balanced.

amped, twice, thrice, or more are not uncommon at all in audio, esp once it reaches the analogue domain.

That was the school of thought before 32 bit DACs became common place. Heck, even with 24 bits and dither, you can attenuate significantly before any resolution is lost in the digital domain - noise floor of the DAC becomes the limiting factor.

I'm in the no-amp camp. Adding an amp reduces resolution and transparency while adding it's own color/distortion. You should be able to run these speakers directly from your Chord DAC.

I can attenuate my 2Qute (which has default 3 volt out) using dithered volume control by 48+ dbs without issue. I run my Lake People RS-08 at full tilt (-12 db at the RCA input switches) and attenuate digitally by about 20db to get to my preferred volume level. This basically bypasses any effect the pot (a variable resistor) will have on the analogue stream. Try it. It really opens up the amp and let's pure bliss come through on well designed units. Dragonfly red, Hugo/H2, mojo - all of them are milestone pieces that sound fantastic. And many DAPs that do this sound awesome too. Why? full tilt amp with digital attenuation baby.

Contrary to the popular belief, large headphone amps can actually have a lower noise floor, as the manufacturer has the flexibility to space out the components and have better isolation.

Bingo. Lyr3, a ridiculously powered amp has almost zero noise at full tilt with 80 ohm Elears and is dead silent with 300 ohm Senns. Low gain while playing digital silence track of course.

Don't buy into anything you read about digital volume decreasing resolution. With dither, that is just not true. Resolution loss only only happens at a certain point (extreme attenuation) when you get too near the noise floor of the 'chain' you've built.

If you're curious about whether or not a dac/amp/speaker combo can skip the 'preamp' - PM me and we'll walk through the math. If it's modern equipment, chances are you can skip the 'pre.'

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #14,973 of 39,414
I posted this on the Noble thread but I wanted to share my review with all of you also. I hope you enjoy:

The Wizard/Joy Collaboration Katana Review

La Joie do Vivre "The Divine Series"

10252206_thumb.jpeg

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #14,974 of 39,414
For Hugo2 desktop use, you need:

1) A 2A USB charger, normal 1A is not enough to keep it charged while playing.

2) A RF-shielded USB Standard Specs USB A to USB micro. If not properly RF-shielded, it may sound bright. It's much fuller and richer with a proper USB cable. --Or-- just stick with optical to avoid RF issues.

Depending on security at the workplace, if you leave the Hugo2 charged for 24 hours; it will auto trigger desktop power mode which only uses the battery as needed (dynamics). So that's a nice option to have if you leave on 24/7 to save wear and tear on the battery.

None of the other "power" stuff is needed and confirmed by it's DAC's designer.

It's nice to have those "extra" options and an option in a home environment, but Chord products are designed optimally without any extras. From the power supply to the CPU, everything is already optimal and well thought out. That's not going to stop audiophiles from trying to squeeze every last ounce of SQ. I dread that day. But for Chord, it's really not needed esp in a work environment.

inb4 page 1000...

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #14,975 of 39,414
For Hugo2 desktop use, you need:

1) A 2A USB charger, normal 1A is not enough to keep it charged while playing.

2) A RF-shielded USB Standard Specs USB A to USB micro. If not properly RF-shielded, it may sound bright. It's much fuller and richer with a proper USB cable. --Or-- just stick with optical to avoid RF issues.

Depending on security at the workplace, if you leave the Hugo2 charged for 24 hours; it will auto trigger desktop power mode which only uses the battery as needed (dynamics). So that's a nice option to have if you leave on 24/7 to save wear and tear on the battery.

None of the other "power" stuff is needed and confirmed by it's DAC's designer.

It's nice to have those "extra" options and an option in a home environment, but Chord products are designed optimally without any extras. From the power supply to the CPU, everything is already optimal and well thought out. That's not going to stop audiophiles from trying to squeeze every last ounce of SQ. I dread that day. But for Chord, it's really not needed esp in a work environment.

inb4 page 1000...
May I ask, what is the Chord house sound?
I am aware of their technological prowess, but what do these units sound like?
How does it compare to, say, the Sony house sound?

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #14,976 of 39,414
Man I feel like a filthy casual again with all this talk of short shielded cables. @pithyginger63 why'd you start thisssssss? I want to enjoy my K3 on a stock USB out...

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #14,978 of 39,414
May I ask, what is the Chord house sound?
I am aware of their technological prowess, but what do these units sound like?
How does it compare to, say, the Sony house sound?

Chord strives as much lifelike and realistic as possible. Nothing artificial. Of course nothing will be like real life, but they are always making strides towards that direction. As you move up the chain, the more one is immersed into this realism. Hugo2 is just a gateway drug into the stronger stuff. It's faithful to the recording without any artifical added preservatives.

You maybe able to find more info on this page...

It has a little bit of everything... work rig. comparison to Daps...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread.831345/page-776

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #14,979 of 39,414
Just a heads up that I've listed my Leo II at $550 USD if anyone is interested.

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #14,981 of 39,414
Is the 1960 that much better?
Depends what parts of the sound signature you want to tweak with. The parts that Leo II tweaks with, the Zeus already does that astoundingly well that losing a little to benefit in other areas doesnt hurt the signature.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #14,984 of 39,414
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #14,985 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back