flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 22, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #14,761 of 39,414
I did the opposite and only tried SE even tho I usually use a 4.4mm cable, was too curious about the Korg. I'd think the tube output would be warmer but can't say for sure on my end - I loved it though, and that's with the Phantom. Gave it a richer, more analog sound with better layering and imaging. Better resolution as well without necessarily making it darker IMO - was paired with Crystal Cable silver cable so maybe that helped keep the balance.

With the leather case I would think it would be less blingy than the WM1Z since it's not all gold though. But... thr N8 has a more jewelry-like design to it with the geometric button and angles. Definitely thick and probably not super pocketable. Found the WM1Z to be heavier.

I thought you were a fan of pretty/shiny things tho?

I like simple designs like the Cowon Plenue 1 for instance. The WM1Z is smaller and more handy. And even though it is gold, the design is much better thought out in my opinion. The N8 is big and unwieldy with this spaceship gold button and two huge knobs (hehehe) sticking out. But I will give it a try again when I get the chance side by side with WM1Z, because I would like to make the SE6 fuller.

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #14,763 of 39,414
yup, but the last time i asked (a month ago), even in cash, the lowest quote i got was 25,000 hkd, but then again, i am not an assertive haggler...

in hk its hard to get deep discount. in china (mainland) , it all depends on your bargaining skills and how many resellers u are haggling at the same time.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #14,764 of 39,414
In any case I really don't like the form factor. It is huge and really blingy to my taste.
I think that literally describes any DAP more than $800 MRSP. Unless it's a Plenue, still a premium to get in this frozen hellscape. I'd probably have to fight a polar bear for the package when the courier just leaves it at the door.....

in hk its hard to get deep discount. in china (mainland) , it all depends on your bargaining skills and how many resellers u are haggling at the same time.
Folks in HK prefer things to be legit, you're literally paying for authenticity. In Mainland China, you're either getting A) A lemon B) The actual product or C) A literally chunk of garbage, kinda like gambling

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #14,765 of 39,414
I think that literally describes any DAP more than $800 MRSP. Unless it's a Plenue, still a premium to get in this frozen hellscape. I'd probably have to fight a polar bear for the package when the courier just leaves it at the door.....

Folks in HK prefer things to be legit, you're literally paying for authenticity. In Mainland China, you're either getting A) A lemon B) The actual product or C) A literally chunk of garbage, kinda like gambling

The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch (though not the lightest) is perfectly pocketable, but it's also quite a ways away from $800 MSRP. :D

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #14,766 of 39,414
yup, but the last time i asked (a month ago), even in cash, the lowest quote i got was 25,000 hkd, but then again, i am not an assertive haggler...

That's already a great price, over 10% off, HK has no sales tax for them to avoid, so they can only take off the company profit tax. I've found for high end iems, the recommended retail price is often higher, then they give you a closer price to the MSRP when haggled. Nothing you can do, the distributors have a monopoly, often they only give you a deeper discount when you buy multiple items. Deep discounts of 15-20 years ago don't exist anymore due to the high rents.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #14,767 of 39,414
Sony A55, livin' that single-ended life. Not maximizing some of my earphones. but hey, it's noisy out there, plus I no longer feel like I'm carrying a 1980s garage door opener remote in my pocket :upside_down:.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #14,769 of 39,414
Just curious if anyone knows of any ciem companies that accept digital scans of impressions? I know Custom Art (who kindly supplied mine on request, thanks piotrus!) and 64 Audio do ( I think). Was just wondering if there were any others?

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #14,770 of 39,414
Just curious if anyone knows of any ciem companies that accept digital scans of impressions? I know Custom Art (who kindly supplied mine on request, thanks piotrus!) and 64 Audio do ( I think). Was just wondering if there were any others?

I think Ultimate Ears is another one. Even Campfire accepted my digital scan for the Equinox. I guess anyone 3D printing shells should be able to accept digital scans.

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #14,771 of 39,414

UE is one that’s been mentioned. Vision Ears, Earsonics, ARC Customs, LEAR, LX-Ear, In Ear and Avara Customs are among the ones I know that use 3D methods impressions-wise. But, the ones that I can confirm accept third-party digital scans are Earsonics and LX-Ear. I’m sure the others do too if the impressions are up to par, but you can never be too sure.

Jomo Audio just started experimenting with 3D-printing too. Instead of trimming the impressions digitally and then printing out near-finished shells, they print out the raw digital scans and treat them like physical impressions. But, Joseph tells me that they’re pretty confident in their technique at the moment. So, you can add them to the list as well.

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #14,772 of 39,414
UE is one that’s been mentioned. Vision Ears, Earsonics, ARC Customs, LEAR, LX-Ear, In Ear and Avara Customs are among the ones I know that use 3D methods impressions-wise. But, the ones that I can confirm accept third-party digital scans are Earsonics and LX-Ear. I’m sure the others do too if the impressions are up to par, but you can never be too sure.

Jomo Audio just started experimenting with 3D-printing too. Instead of trimming the impressions digitally and then printing out near-finished shells, they print out the raw digital scans and treat them like physical impressions. But, Joseph tells me that they’re pretty confident in their technique at the moment. So, you can add them to the list as well.

Thanks! Well I'm going to wait until I get my blacks back from CA and see how they go. IF they fit then I can see this getting addictive (if expensive). Never heard of LX-ear.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #14,773 of 39,414
Thanks! Well I'm going to wait until I get my blacks back from CA and see how they go. IF they fit then I can see this getting addictive (if expensive). Never heard of LX-ear.

They’re a Romanian company that’s been gaining traction on social media. I heard of them first through Instagram. I’m set to review their single-driver custom canalphone sometime soon. It essentially looks like an earplug with a balanced-armature driver in it. The benefits they claim the form factor gives is intriguing, and I’ll have more to say when I actually hear it myself. :wink:

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #14,774 of 39,414
985 pages , wow

i wish @flinkenick would do a celebratory post when we reach 1000 pages of his top-10 favorite (c)iems of all time

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #14,775 of 39,414
985 pages , wow

i wish @flinkenick would do a celebratory post when we reach 1000 pages of his top-10 favorite (c)iems of all time

When we get to 1000 pages is when Nic is going to reveal that we were all just part of his elaborate social neuropsychology thesis for his PhD, while he and his colleagues amuse themselves at our folly.

"Look at these fools, Dr Von Schtinklestein. I actually convinced my pawns to buy $3,000 headphones and pay $2,000 for a $2 copper cable. Ridiculous!"

tenor (46).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back