flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 6, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #12,676 of 39,414
Gotta give Erik @Wyville big props for contributing a great Final E4000/E5000 review, soon to be published on Head-fi, but for now you can check it out here.

Thanks for the opportunity Alex! :)

It is my longest review so far, but I felt both warranted the usual amount of space I dedicate to IEMs. Not the most expensive IEMs, but certainly very fun and great value.

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #12,677 of 39,414
Thanks for the opportunity Alex! :)

It is my longest review so far, but I felt both warranted the usual amount of space I dedicate to IEMs. Not the most expensive IEMs, but certainly very fun and great value.

Really torn on trying the E series, mainly due to the sound leakage issue which probably wouldn't be welcome at work where I do most of my listening. Even though I work in a loud area someone is bound to complain about it. Still as I have the Campfire Audio Comets, not entirely sure if I would need them anyway. In other news I've decided for the time being to stop trying to get customs done for me as it just never works out well and getting fed up with numerous refits. I did have a bit of a eureka moment with iems and found that it's as much about angle as depth of insertion (ooer). My right ear seems to be at more of an angle than the left.

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #12,678 of 39,414
Really torn on trying the E series, mainly due to the sound leakage issue which probably wouldn't be welcome at work where I do most of my listening. Even though I work in a loud area someone is bound to complain about it. Still as I have the Campfire Audio Comets, not entirely sure if I would need them anyway. In other news I've decided for the time being to stop trying to get customs done for me as it just never works out well and getting fed up with numerous refits. I did have a bit of a eureka moment with iems and found that it's as much about angle as depth of insertion (ooer). My right ear seems to be at more of an angle than the left.

The E5000 was a revelation for me in terms of how good SQ you get for 250€, I was blown away and the signature is so sweet and smooth :) On a different note, the RHA CL2 did blow me away too at 800€ which kind of makes me rethink the whole let's go straight to the top TOTL CIEM.

Yes the E5000 (and E4000 probably) leaks and does not isolate very well but I use it in a small open office and nobody has complained. My main regret is a nogo in bed as it would bother my other half, too bad since that signature is the dream one to relax and get lulled to sleep by the music!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #12,679 of 39,414
Sound leakage is quite noticeable on the E4000 and E5000, less so on the E2000 (I assume the E3000 is the same). I haven't tested it with anyone else standing at a distance for the E4000/5000, but did with the E2000 when my wife wanted to make sure she could use them on the Tube/bus during her commute and that was fine.

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #12,680 of 39,414
The E5000 was a revelation for me in terms of how good SQ you get for 250€, I was blown away and the signature is so sweet and smooth :) On a different note, the RHA CL2 did blow me away too at 800€ which kind of makes me rethink the whole let's go straight to the top TOTL CIEM.

Yes the E5000 (and E4000 probably) leaks and does not isolate very well but I use it in a small open office and nobody has complained. My main regret is a nogo in bed as it would bother my other half, too bad since that signature is the dream one to relax and get lulled to sleep by the music!

Ah, if it has poor isolation then it is certainly out for me. Shame.

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #12,681 of 39,414
Ah, if it has poor isolation then it is certainly out for me. Shame.

At least for me but I am a low volume listener so anything short of great isolation won't isolate fully...

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #12,682 of 39,414
At least for me but I am a low volume listener so anything short of great isolation won't isolate fully...
I work in loud area with about 12 machines going all the time. Add to that lots of other external noises I pretty much need bomb proof isolation (hence the interest at the time in customs).

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #12,683 of 39,414
Hey guys! Just published another review of an excellent bang-for-the-buck product. This time, it's Han Sound Audio's Aegis cable! It's a silver-gold/copper hybrid with a punchy, impactful sound, but (surprisingly) tons of harmonic body as well - perfect for laid-back IEMs that need a good helping of kick, and extra dimensions to the bass and vocals. Hope you enjoy as always, and look out for my next review this weekend which may or may not rhyme with Pea-oh-Midas Flu. :wink:

Han Sound Audio Aegis - Rock, Romance N' Rollercoasters

Aegis-11 (R).jpg

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #12,684 of 39,414
I have close to no doubt that this ranking list was made possible by at least some sponsors in the industry. Regardless, its mostly wall of text with close to no substance.

Of any value at all would be the comparisons between the IEMs which tells me a lot about your preference and possibly level of bs cause I've actually had the chance to try most of these IEMs.

Oh and the spiral ears ultimate 5 is one of the most darkest sounding IEM I've ever tried. Any reviewers that give a good score for their treble loses all credibility for me

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #12,685 of 39,414
I have close to no doubt that this ranking list was made possible by at least some sponsors in the industry. Regardless, its mostly wall of text with close to no substance.

Of any value at all would be the comparisons between the IEMs which tells me a lot about your preference and possibly level of bs cause I've actually had the chance to try most of these IEMs.

Oh and the spiral ears ultimate 5 is one of the most darkest sounding IEM I've ever tried. Any reviewers that give a good score for their treble loses all credibility for me

lwmerLw_700wa_0.gif

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #12,686 of 39,414

Frankly speaking I may not always agree with whatever Flinkenick says, but after following each of his reviews, especially one in this shootout, I can say that there's a lot of merit in what he's saying. A lot of reviews are made where either one just wrote all their ideals and becomes fully subjective in their writing, or just relies too much on graphs and measurements to the point that the reviewer basically ends up talking about what he thinks the FR curve is like.

I feel that Nick here has managed to straddle the lines between the objective and the subjective quality pretty nicely and I do feel that he managed to shed a lot of his personal biases in these writings. Having tried 75% of all the stuff he has on hand for this shootout, it's really apparent that he pretty much says what the IEM does and he did a really good job at that. Sure there's a little bit of fillers here and there but that's how you do a writing, no? Otherwise it's just a list of things the IEM does.

Additionally, a sound tuning and coherency is something that is not really correlative of the amount of energy in certain parts of the FR. The reason the dark sounding SE5U can possibly get a high score in treble is because the tuning actually beneficial to the soundsig as a whole. Not merely because it has a lot of it. If you read the SE5U review, if at all, you will see that the treble side of the tuning merits a high score because it helped a ton in making the mids sound even better

Now, maybe you have different priorities in terms of IEM tuning? Or perhaps you have your own way of doing a review? I honestly would be very interested in seeing your impressions :D

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #12,687 of 39,414

Any person who has "tried" the SE5U means they have force fitted someone else's customs in their ears. However "close" your ears are you cannot get the actual sound this way.

Any person coming with this argument (you are not the first to do so and will not be the last) loses all credibility.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #12,688 of 39,414

LOL

When you have heard most/all of them why don't make a comparison between all of them. You don't need to write a wall of text, just the most obvious differences.

See you next year when you are done..:)

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #12,689 of 39,414

First four posts on Head-fi:

1) Criticizing Noble
2) Claiming the CA Andromeda isn’t any good
3) Claiming flinkenick was paid off
4) Claiming FitEar is worth the money

Great start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back