flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #11,521 of 39,414
Gosh. Its almost close to a fortnight with the 64 audio N8 and has really started getting into its own after some good time of just using it on the go. With the surge of hybrids in the market I was initially worried that the N8 wouldn't cut it given the lack of reviews and the hype around other hybrid totls. Now, I only wish I had made the purchase earlier and hopefully gotten it 'earlier' :)

IMG_5137.JPG

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #11,522 of 39,414
i am in market to upgrade my se846/angie 1, i was initially set on CA Andromeda too many nice reviews around, but after more research, some other options just shine like (aaw w900, meastro v2)

my budget is 1k, i listen to everything with emphasis on rock and hip-hop, want a very nice slamming bass that goes deep, mids not too laid back nor in your face (better smooth than grainy vocals), and nice extended treble.

my current gear isn't lacking for me so i can wait and not pull the trigger now, but i wanted to try something new while upgrading, also i never tried a hybrid before thats why w900 became on top of my list.

I think at my budget i will buy from used market and universal is the way for me,i check other reputable iems like ee zeus but over my budget, so which of this is a better way to go, and also open for other recommendations in budget.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #11,523 of 39,414
Gosh. Its almost close to a fortnight with the 64 audio N8 and has really started getting into its own after some good time of just using it on the go. With the surge of hybrids in the market I was initially worried that the N8 wouldn't cut it given the lack of reviews and the hype around other hybrid totls. Now, I only wish I had made the purchase earlier and hopefully gotten it 'earlier' :)

What cable are you pairing it up with?

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #11,524 of 39,414
i am in market to upgrade my se846/angie 1, i was initially set on CA Andromeda too many nice reviews around, but after more research, some other options just shine like (aaw w900, meastro v2)

my budget is 1k, i listen to everything with emphasis on rock and hip-hop, want a very nice slamming bass that goes deep, mids not too laid back nor in your face (better smooth than grainy vocals), and nice extended treble.

my current gear isn't lacking for me so i can wait and not pull the trigger now, but i wanted to try something new while upgrading, also i never tried a hybrid before thats why w900 became on top of my list.

I think at my budget i will buy from used market and universal is the way for me,i check other reputable iems like ee zeus but over my budget, so which of this is a better way to go, and also open for other recommendations in budget.

I think the EE Vantage would suit you really well. I reckon you’d find the W900’s vocals “grainy” (more precisely, peaky) due to the lower/middle-treble peak, but the newer version is slightly less so.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #11,525 of 39,414

Could be a controversial suggestion, but you may want to check out the CA Atlas if you can find one used - should tick a fre of your boxes with the right tips, and is truly excellent for rock music.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #11,527 of 39,414

Andromeda are excellent IEMs for sure, and have some excellent BA bass (especially once broken in). But if you are looking for real bass impact, a DD or hybrid will prob suit you better. Vega or Atlas would be good options of the DD IEMs I have heard.

Personally, I think there is good reason that the Andromeda are so often described as "special." There's just something I love about its tuning. To my mind, it is the king of the $1k price point.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #11,528 of 39,414
Yeah I went to the parade in San Francisco a couple of years back when I was at Berkeley for half a year, and can remember seeing significantly more wangs out and about. There might have been a couple on the loose here as well, but I'm guessing they enforced a strict no wang policy on the boats since it's such a public festivity. Wouldn't want to traumatise those kids hehe. I can accommodate you on those boobies though, I spotted a pair with 'feminist' written on them, but free boobies nonetheless (might need a magnifying glass).

This year I had friends over twice plus we entertained Eric from Effect for two days, so I've been viewing the city through the eyes of a tourist, and I have to say it has only made me appreciate it more. Some locals complain that the city centre is overtaken by tourists, but I personally like how it increases the diversity and gives it an international allure. Of course it can be annoying when they cycle really slowly and we have to zig zag through them, but I mostly see their presence as a confirmation it is a nice place to visit : )

Even the red light district is 95% couples and families that visit it as a tourist attraction. In the weekends you'll see several large groups of British dudes that come to smoke weed and bang some ho's, but overall there is just a very pleasant vibe throughout the city. And this year we've been blessed with the longest and hottest summer for probably a 100 years or so, so it's been one to remember (but I love the heat).

Great post Nic. BTW, what is this red light district thing you speak of??? This Navy man wants to know....

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #11,530 of 39,414
Yeah I went to the parade in San Francisco a couple of years back when I was at Berkeley for half a year, and can remember seeing significantly more wangs out and about.

Oh Dude, maybe we HAVE met!

LOL sorry, I couldn't resist.

-Collin-

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #11,531 of 39,414
I think the EE Vantage would suit you really well. I reckon you’d find the W900’s vocals “grainy” (more precisely, peaky) due to the lower/middle-treble peak, but the newer version is slightly less so.

I can't find almost any review for the vantage since it seems relatively new, but i found a couple for the bravado and it was very praised, i guess i will wait to read more about the vantages.

Andromeda are excellent IEMs for sure, and have some excellent BA bass (especially once broken in). But if you are looking for real bass impact, a DD or hybrid will prob suit you better. Vega or Atlas would be good options of the DD IEMs I have heard.

Personally, I think there is good reason that the Andromeda are so often described as "special." There's just something I love about its tuning. To my mind, it is the king of the $1k price point.

I always seen it described as the most special and magical in the CA line, thats what is tempting about it, reviews make it the safest bet to go for.

Could be a controversial suggestion, but you may want to check out the CA Atlas if you can find one used - should tick a fre of your boxes with the right tips, and is truly excellent for rock music.

I have checked the Atlas, while it seems nice i am a little worried about its mids of being recessed a bit too much, but reading about its bass makes me go crazy, although iam not a bass head but i would take hard hitting bass any time of day if it doesn't affect other frequencies.

I guess i will research the atlas and andromedas more ..

Thanks !

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #11,532 of 39,414
I can't find almost any review for the vantage since it seems relatively new, but i found a couple for the bravado and it was very praised, i guess i will wait to read more about the vantages.

I always seen it described as the most special and magical in the CA line, thats what is tempting about it, reviews make it the safest bet to go for.

I have checked the Atlas, while it seems nice i am a little worried about its mids of being recessed a bit too much, but reading about its bass makes me go crazy, although iam not a bass head but i would take hard hitting bass any time of day if it doesn't affect other frequencies.

I guess i will research the atlas and andromedas more ..

Thanks !
I have the same dilemma. To get a hard hitting bass without messing with other frequency seems to be almost impossible to find. So far my favs are the tia trio, the n8t, A6t (to a certain extent), the Atlas and lastly the legend X, in no particular order

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #11,533 of 39,414
I have the same dilemma. To get a hard hitting bass without messing with other frequency seems to be almost impossible to find. So far my favs are the tia trio, the n8t, A6t (to a certain extent), the Atlas and lastly the legend X, in no particular order

well , seeing you go for the top/expensive ones - and unless you wanna go custom - there is a uni Legend for sale now at 1850$

at that price you can always buy it, try it and resell if it's not to your liking , at least you will know how it sounds and if it's to your liking

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #11,534 of 39,414
well , seeing you go for the top/expensive ones - and unless you wanna go custom - there is a uni Legend for sale now at 1850$

at that price you can always buy it, try it and resell if it's not to your liking , at least you will know how it sounds and if it's to your liking
I cannot stand universals anymore so in the future i am going to get someone to custom build and tune an iem that will end my journey in iems, at least for the forseeeable future(assuming my music tastes do not change). I like my gimmics like 2 switches ( bass and treble) and Apex/ adel module (pressure issues)

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #11,535 of 39,414
What cable are you pairing it up with?

I honestly do not know. So to be frank, what I did was to get a bunch of cables at one time, sample them and then I'll sell off the ones that I don't like. Thankfully I managed to snatch a few cables for a decent price, so over the next week or so I'll spend time using them on the n8 itself.

i feel like more and more universal iems in the “lower” tiers, particularly the ones with a lot of buzz, utilize mmcx connectors

I agree. But I see that as a good thing. MMCX seems like the ideal connection for a gym use item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back