flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 7, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #11,536 of 39,414
One way to sidestep audio nervosa about cables: get a KSE 1200/1500. Wow. I'd forgotten how amazing these are. Electrostatic detail with the outside world blocked out?!?! Yes please. Neutral tuning (smidge of a bass boost maybe), and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the bass. Deserves more consideration when looking into TOTL IEMs.

Aug 7, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #11,537 of 39,414
I can't find almost any review for the vantage since it seems relatively new, but i found a couple for the bravado and it was very praised, i guess i will wait to read more about the vantages.

I always seen it described as the most special and magical in the CA line, thats what is tempting about it, reviews make it the safest bet to go for.

I have checked the Atlas, while it seems nice i am a little worried about its mids of being recessed a bit too much, but reading about its bass makes me go crazy, although iam not a bass head but i would take hard hitting bass any time of day if it doesn't affect other frequencies.

I guess i will research the atlas and andromedas more ..

Thanks !

I feel like the Bravado and the Andromeda would have the coarser vocals you’re talking about rather than the smoother vocals you prefer. The Vantage’s are more natural in tone than both. Also, the Andromeda’s bass response will vary based on your source’s output impedance IIRC. Personally, through the AK70, I find its low-end calmer than all the other IEMs we’ve discussed.

As far as I’m aware, Empire Ears are planning a Vantage tour after the ESR/Bravado tour ends, so you can expect lots of impressions to come from that. Until then, you can check out my brief impressions of the Vantage here: https://theheadphonelist.com/empire-ears-ep-x-launch-event-euphoria-audio-a-new-era/

One way to sidestep audio nervosa about cables: get a KSE 1200/1500. Wow. I'd forgotten how amazing these are. Electrostatic detail with the outside world blocked out?!?! Yes please. Neutral tuning (smidge of a bass boost maybe), and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the bass. Deserves more consideration when looking into TOTL IEMs.

Don’t forget the fact that electrostatic technology will soon make its way into other IEMs too in the form of Sonion’s electrostatic tweeter. Alclair, FitEar and AAW are gonna be the first out of the gate with it. Speaking of Alclair’s electrostatic hybrid (dubbed ‘Electro’), we’ll be seeing more of that in my stable soon... :wink:

Aug 7, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #11,538 of 39,414
I have finished yet another review, the Rhapsodio Eden. Full disclosure: I might have copied some lines from my brief impressions piece, so you might recognize a line or two. But, that was mostly because I found it an interesting concept to build on, not (just) because I am lazy. Plus I added like, a whole bunch of new ones. I think the review turned out a bit different than usual, but Eden is a very interesting iem that surprised me.

https://theheadphonelist.com/rhapsodio-eden/

RSD1.png

@crinacle in light of our recent timbre discussions, I would be curious to hear your thoughts about this when you have the chance. You prob won't like it, but I'm curious to what you think in regards of accuracy/timbre/coloration.

@deafdoorknob also wonder what you think since you seem to be into piano, and I find the Eden the best for piano I have heard so far.

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #11,539 of 39,414
Nice fair review as always. Nic, your top attribute, or right up there, is your ability to share how it sounds and not tell us what we like better. You can share strengths even if it’s not your cup of tea. I absolutely love that. Thanks so much. Pete

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #11,540 of 39,414
I feel like the Bravado and the Andromeda would have the coarser vocals you’re talking about rather than the smoother vocals you prefer. The Vantage’s are more natural in tone than both. Also, the Andromeda’s bass response will vary based on your source’s output impedance IIRC. Personally, through the AK70, I find its low-end calmer than all the other IEMs we’ve discussed.

As far as I’m aware, Empire Ears are planning a Vantage tour after the ESR/Bravado tour ends, so you can expect lots of impressions to come from that. Until then, you can check out my brief impressions of the Vantage here: https://theheadphonelist.com/empire-ears-ep-x-launch-event-euphoria-audio-a-new-era/

Don’t forget the fact that electrostatic technology will soon make its way into other IEMs too in the form of Sonion’s electrostatic tweeter. Alclair, FitEar and AAW are gonna be the first out of the gate with it. Speaking of Alclair’s electrostatic hybrid (dubbed ‘Electro’), we’ll be seeing more of that in my stable soon... :wink:
Very interesting! I'd missed that news!

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #11,541 of 39,414
I have finished yet another review, the Rhapsodio Eden. Full disclosure: I might have copied some lines from my brief impressions piece, so you might recognize a line or two. But, that was mostly because I found it an interesting concept to build on, not (just) because I am lazy. Plus I added like, a whole bunch of new ones. I think the review turned out a bit different than usual, but Eden is a very interesting iem that surprised me.

@crinacle in light of our recent timbre discussions, I would be curious to hear your thoughts about this when you have the chance. You prob won't like it, but I'm curious to what you think in regards of accuracy/timbre/coloration.

@deafdoorknob also wonder what you think since you seem to be into piano, and I find the Eden the best for piano I have heard so far.

Does Sammy still deal in Singapore? Or has some samples lying around?

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #11,543 of 39,414

Really Nic? Did you just write that entire review to troll me? The further I kept reading the more I started to get a Pavlovian drool running down my chin. :D

I am loving how the review reflects your own evolution as an audiophile and touches on some of the interesting discussions recently. Cool stuff! I like that, music is after all a very personal experience and we all change throughout out lives. Mind you... I love classical music, but I categorically refuse to mature into wisdom. I like being an idiot, thank you very much! :p

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #11,544 of 39,414
@flinkenick I envy your writing style! @Wyville this is the second time I will write that you need to get your hands on the Eden :) You will continue to salivate even after they are in your ears!

I have spent about 50 hours with the Eden. I am so drawn to acoustic jazz and to classical music when I listen to them. They are so accurate to the sound. I will write an Eden review soon and I will try and compare them in depth to the Phantoms I will get next week. And I hope to compare them to a "reference signature" BA Sammy is coming out with. I will be up front in my review that the Edens are a signature preference of mine.

Nic when I grow up I hope to write like you!

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #11,545 of 39,414
@flinkenick I envy your writing style! @Wyville this is the second time I will write that you need to get your hands on the Eden :) You will continue to salivate even after they are in your ears!

I have spent about 50 hours with the Eden. I am so drawn to acoustic jazz and to classical music when I listen to them. They are so accurate to the sound. I will write an Eden review soon and I will try and compare them in depth to the Phantoms I will get next week. And I hope to compare them to a "reference signature" BA Sammy is coming out with. I will be up front in my review that the Edens are a signature preference of mine.

Nic when I grow up I hope to write like you!
Yes, will be very interesting to hear them and compare the differences in tuning to the Phantom. You had certainly already whetted my appetite. :D

Hope you will enjoy your Phantom just as much. Best of luck with your reviews, I look forward to reading them!

ps. More coming from Sammy?!
SlipperyFocusedLadybug-max-1mb.gif

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #11,546 of 39,414

Very interesting!

For some reason reading your Eden's review made me think of a suprising "IEM" that I never got down to testing but always intrigued me from the very few review that I have read : the Piano forte from Final Audio... did you ever listened to those? (they are a very different beast from the Eden, and pretty "old", but there are some things that reminded me of those Piano Forte's review)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #11,547 of 39,414
Very interesting!

For some reason reading your Eden's review made me think of a suprising "IEM" that I never got down to testing but always intrigued me from the very few review that I have read : the Piano forte from Final Audio... did you ever listened to those?
I so badly want to hear those. Very curious IEM/earbud-type hybrids made especially to provide a concert hall experience. If it were not for the uncertainty about the form factor, I would have blind bought the VIII ages ago. (They were even 50% off recently... 50-flipping-%!)

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #11,549 of 39,414
I have the same dilemma. To get a hard hitting bass without messing with other frequency seems to be almost impossible to find. So far my favs are the tia trio, the n8t, A6t (to a certain extent), the Atlas and lastly the legend X, in no particular order

Exactly ! And 1k is a bit much for me so its like you have to make the right decision lol

Do you own those favs or only listened to them, i know nothing about 64 audio ones, and the legend is way over my budget, the atlas is becoming more intruiging to me after going through its dedicated thread and seeing all the love and reviews there.

After reading too much about atlas, seems the lows and highs are great, mids are still worrying me though

Ye i read the brief description of the ee line but didnt know it is yours, nice work.

I will wait to check how the tour goes i guess

Do you have any input on the atlas against it?

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #11,550 of 39,414
Does Sammy still deal in Singapore? Or has some samples lying around?
Sammy is being a bit cagey about it, it seems he had a dealer but nobody bought anything so I'm not sure he'll send an Eden soon as the production of the drivers is slow. Guess it is not happening anytime soon then.
Yes, will be very interesting to hear them and compare the differences in tuning to the Phantom. You had certainly already whetted my appetite. :D

Hope you will enjoy your Phantom just as much. Best of luck with your reviews, I look forward to reading them!

ps. More coming from Sammy?!
SlipperyFocusedLadybug-max-1mb.gif
The Eden's are waiting for you as soon as you move over / have free time, along with the Venom, some SilverFi cables, the 5-Way, Zeus, maybe add an i4 to mix things up?
Very interesting!

For some reason reading your Eden's review made me think of a suprising "IEM" that I never got down to testing but always intrigued me from the very few review that I have read : the Piano forte from Final Audio... did you ever listened to those? (they are a very different beast from the Eden, and pretty "old", but there are some things that reminded me of those Piano Forte's review)
I have indeed heard great things about the Piano Forte's and Final in general, never got to try them. I recently tried some new release models around $200-$300 that were very good though, for what it's worth : )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back